Perspective
http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

Wow.

Okay, Koreans are interesting people. ;)

How many servers DOES Lineage have, anyway?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Holy crap! :o
I suspect the huge yellow curve is soon to be replaced by that small light-green curve in the bottom right corner ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Dec 3 2004, 01:49 AM Wrote:I suspect the huge yellow curve is soon to be replaced by that small light-green curve in the bottom right corner ;)
[right][snapback]61790[/snapback][/right]

Note the much sharper rate of growth!

...and :shuriken: > all emoticons ever.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
A different perspective.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/01/...14281.html
Lord BEEF,Dec 3 2004, 01:28 AM Wrote:A different perspective.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/01/...14281.html
[right][snapback]61794[/snapback][/right]

Yeah! WoW is knocking Lineage down to just over TWO MILLION! And Lineage plus its sequel are down to slightly under four million!

I mean, seriously.
Keep in mind that WoW is still not released in Korea or Europe; it's just North America, Australia, and New Zealand for those numbers, which isn't too bad.
Intolerant monkey.
A couple things about Lineage:

First, it runs on machines that World of Warcraft would break:

# System: PII 350 or equivalent
# RAM:128 MB RAM
# Hard Drive Space: 900 MB
# Mouse: Yes
# Sound Board: Yes

And I think that's for the more graphically intense US version. But you really don't need a computer of your own to play it at all, at least in east asia - a lot of cyber cafes have it set up so you can play. Thus, the cost of ownership necessary to start playing is really low to start playing. To play EQ in the US, you pretty much need your own computer and net connection. To play lineage in East Asia, you pay for some terminal time at the local cafe and that's pretty much it.

Comparing raw account numbers doesn't tell the whole story. It really is apples vs oranges in this case. Because of the accessability, it is more popular with the teen set, whereas over here the average mmorpger trends higher on the age scale. One of the reasons I imagine WoW is handled (billings wise) in different regions by different companies is so an Asian company which understands the Asian market can pursue that market in the right way - perhaps by giving cafes some kind of package deal - so they can take on games like lineage in thier home turf.

Personally, I've played lineage, just to see what all the fuss was about. Let me just say I have a friend with a neurological disorder that affects his balance (can't remember the exact disorder) who can move faster than a lineage character.
apandapion,Dec 4 2004, 12:02 AM Wrote:A couple things about Lineage:

And I think that's for the more graphically intense US version.  But you really don't need  a computer of your own to play it at all, at least in east asia - a lot of cyber cafes have it set up so you can play.  Thus, the cost of ownership necessary to start playing is really low to start playing.  To play EQ in the US, you pretty much need your own computer and net connection.  To play lineage in East Asia, you pay for some terminal time at the local cafe and that's pretty much it.

Comparing raw account numbers doesn't tell the whole story.  It really is apples vs oranges in this case.  Because of the accessability, it is more popular with the teen set, whereas over here the average mmorpger trends higher on the age scale.  One of the reasons I imagine WoW is handled (billings wise) in different regions by different companies is so an Asian company which understands the Asian market can pursue that market in the right way - perhaps by giving cafes some kind of package deal - so they can take on games like lineage in thier home turf.

Personally, I've played lineage, just to see what all the fuss was about.  Let me just say I have a friend with a neurological disorder that affects his balance (can't remember the exact disorder) who can move faster than a lineage character.
[right][snapback]61867[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for that insight, I am Lineage clueless. As to speed, I think it tends to be relative when playing a game.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
You know, I think you can still get free trials for lineage. We should have a lurker lounge day, in the interest of multiculturalism. *grin*
a friend I know plays lineage, and she's a girl! :w00t:
Znassin - Lvl59 Troll Priest (almost there!Wink
Tichondrius Server
apandapion,Dec 4 2004, 02:02 AM Wrote:A couple things about Lineage:

And I think that's for the more graphically intense US version.  But you really don't need  a computer of your own to play it at all, at least in east asia - a lot of cyber cafes have it set up so you can play.  Thus, the cost of ownership necessary to start playing is really low to start playing.  To play EQ in the US, you pretty much need your own computer and net connection.  To play lineage in East Asia, you pay for some terminal time at the local cafe and that's pretty much it.

Comparing raw account numbers doesn't tell the whole story.  It really is apples vs oranges in this case.  Because of the accessability, it is more popular with the teen set, whereas over here the average mmorpger trends higher on the age scale.  One of the reasons I imagine WoW is handled (billings wise) in different regions by different companies is so an Asian company which understands the Asian market can pursue that market in the right way - perhaps by giving cafes some kind of package deal - so they can take on games like lineage in thier home turf.
[right][snapback]61867[/snapback][/right]

I've played Lineage off and on since it was in Korean beta, 8? years ago (I lost count), around the time Diablo 1 came out. At that time the game ran on my 486.. now the system requirements are slightly higher but not much. So yes, the system cost is low, but most Koreans play it in Internet Cafes where the price of the system is not their concern, they pay on an hourly basis. Not to mention, most of these Cafes must have been set up for support for Lineage II, so they could probably run WoW well.

Besides, many Koreans spend tons of money on this game. High level characters go for nice cars, like BMW's. I don't think teenagers have that kind of money to spend.

Quote:Personally, I've played lineage, just to see what all the fuss was about.  Let me just say I have a friend with a neurological disorder that affects his balance (can't remember the exact disorder) who can move faster than a lineage character.

Lineage is one of the least newbie friendly games. If I hadn't started off on the ground floor, or had a friend to loan me some items to get started, I probably would've quit like all the other Americans I've talked to. You start off really slow, but can use haste potions all the time later. At first you have to regen hp cause you can't afford potions, later you just pump potions and kill monsters non-stop.

From what I can tell, this is why Koreans love the game so much:
It's about competitive level grinding with no end, which they seem to in general have a personality trait that can handle that. It's about fast-paced PVP, in which deaths mean experience and possible item loss. It's about fighting with your bloodpledge (guild) to take a castle or PK your enemies.

It can be a fun game, but it gets boring to me, just like any other game. The main reason I kept playing it on and off for so long is the community of players I met, that still play the game. :rolleyes:
Less QQ more Pew Pew