Lag Bugs
During the latest server wackiness, the servers have rolled back because of bad lag. When these occur, it seems experience and location are rolled back, but items, quests, and talent points are not. This leads to situations (though hardly predictable for exploit purposes) where items (even uniques!) can be aquired multiple times through quest rewards, characters who level and then are rolled back retain their talent points, leading to extras (and possible unfair long-term advantage).

I have a duplicate unique item on my character now and can provide screenies :)
-MB

-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Is this because the loot is on a different server ? If that is the case , you would think they would use their heads and rollback those at the same time :P but then if these items are soulbound I suppose its just a little cash , but what of those that are'nt ?
Take care
Magicbag,Dec 1 2004, 02:26 PM Wrote:During the latest server wackiness, the servers have rolled back because of bad lag.&nbsp; When these occur, it seems experience and location are rolled back, but items, quests, and talent points are not.&nbsp; This leads to situations (though hardly predictable for exploit purposes) where items (even uniques!) can be aquired multiple times through quest rewards, characters who level and then are rolled back retain their talent points, leading to extras (and possible unfair long-term advantage).

I can see how the item problem would happen, although it's a very minor issue, unless one could predict with some certainty that a server rollback is going to happen -- or can figure out a way to force a server rollback. However, the talent issue would be a *huge* concern, which makes me wonder -- are you sure it happens? One gets one and only one talent point each level, so it's easy to spot when someone has too many talent points. I would be amazed if the game didn't have a sanity check to make sure that a person had the correct number of talent points that they should have when they level. If this bug really is in place, make sure to submit some strongly worded /bug's. This is something that should be fixed right away and luckily should be very easy to fix.
MJ is right, items come and go, and even if a character did manage to aquire a duplicate of an item I don't think that it would be as unbalancing as it would have been in say .. D2. That said, Talent Points are forever, and are supposed to be a fixed number, aquiring extras, especially like the three I heard rumored the other day on my server at least, is a big problem. I've bugged it, but since it didin't happen to me, I can't say more than "hey check out this problem that I'm 99% sure exists".
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-