Initial WOW Retail Patch Size?
A question for those of you who have not participated in the U.S. Beta but have only installed the official WOW retail version:

How large (in MegaBytes) was the first, initial patch that you had to download when you first logged on to the retail servers?

"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
~19 Meg. Took me about a half hour, iirc. It took less time this time than it did during open beta. (Yes, I had uninstalled the beta client because at that time I was NOT going to buy the game. Funny how things change. ;) )

Edit: Heh, the easy thing to do is check the directory. It's exactly 19,877 KB in size. :)
Intolerant monkey.
nobbie,Nov 27 2004, 08:19 AM Wrote:A question for those of you who have not participated in the U.S. Beta but have only installed the official WOW retail version:

How large (in MegaBytes) was the first, initial patch that you had to download when you first logged on to the retail servers?
[right][snapback]61352[/snapback][/right]

IIRC it was 20 megs.
Thanks, I was a bit worried about my 56K modem connection :)

Will there be also standalone patches for WOW from time to time (like in Diablo II/WarCraft III)?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Nov 27 2004, 08:51 AM Wrote:Thanks, I was a bit worried about my 56K modem connection :)

Will there be also standalone patches for WOW from time to time (like in Diablo II/WarCraft III)?
[right][snapback]61358[/snapback][/right]

I doubt it, they seem to want to keep it distributed. But I'm planning on keeping a few of them on my website so that fellow lurkers on slower connections can get them more readily than the downloader. I'm not going to make any of the stuff I put up there full common knowledge but for fellow lurkers who really need it I'll put up links to a few things.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Nov 27 2004, 04:10 PM Wrote:I doubt it, they seem to want to keep it distributed.  But I'm planning on keeping a few of them on my website so that fellow lurkers on slower connections can get them more readily than the downloader.  I'm not going to make any of the stuff I put up there full common knowledge but for fellow lurkers who really need it I'll put up links to a few things.
[right][snapback]61362[/snapback][/right]
Thanks, Gnollguy. I'll get back to you should I need one next year :)