DirectX 9.0c problem
I have DirectX 9.0b installed, but WoW requires 9.0c.

It came bundled with it, but when I tried to install it I get the following error:

The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

This software will not be installed. Contact your system administrator.

My only option is [OK], which closes the installer. I've even tried downloading it from microsoft.com, but I get the same error. Help? :(
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Nov 26 2004, 02:52 PM Wrote:I have DirectX 9.0b installed, but WoW requires 9.0c.

It came bundled with it, but when I tried to install it I get the following error:

The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

This software will not be installed.  Contact your system administrator.

My only option is [OK], which closes the installer.  I've even tried downloading it from microsoft.com, but I get the same error.  Help?  :(
[right][snapback]61303[/snapback][/right]

Go to Microsoft directly and get it. Should be able to go to www.microsoft.com and enter directx 9.0c in the search box and should take you to a search results and first or second link should be for the download.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Nov 26 2004, 05:00 PM Wrote:Go to Microsoft directly and get it.  Should be able to go to www.microsoft.com and enter directx 9.0c in the search box and should take you to a search results and first or second link should be for the download.
[right][snapback]61306[/snapback][/right]

Right, that was the first thing I tried. I get the exact same error, even though I'm downloading directly from microsoft...
WarLocke,Nov 26 2004, 03:02 PM Wrote:Right, that was the first thing I tried.  I get the exact same error, even though I'm downloading directly from microsoft...
[right][snapback]61308[/snapback][/right]

Do you have SP1 or SP2 installed?
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Lissa,Nov 26 2004, 05:07 PM Wrote:Do you have SP1 or SP2 installed?
[right][snapback]61309[/snapback][/right]

I have SP1 installed, and apparently one SP2 hotfix

"Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) [See Q329115 for more information]"

I should probably note that I can't seem to connect to Windows Update using IE, not surprising since it probably has 2 years of junk loaded into it.
WarLocke,Nov 26 2004, 03:14 PM Wrote:I have SP1 installed, and apparently one SP2 hotfix

"Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) [See Q329115 for more information]"

I should probably note that I can't seem to connect to Windows Update using IE, not surprising since it probably has 2 years of junk loaded into it.
[right][snapback]61310[/snapback][/right]

Trying going up to SP2. It may be that SP1 doesn't like 9.0c.

Lissa,Nov 26 2004, 05:22 PM Wrote:Trying going up to SP2.  It may be that SP1 doesn't like 9.0c.
[right][snapback]61312[/snapback][/right]

Hmm,

I only have SP1 on my main machine myself and it didn't seem to have any trouble installing. I know I'm not much help here but if you are like me and trying to avoid SP2 I want to let you know that that is probably not the problem.

- mjdoom
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
OK, this is what I'm about to try:

I have tried to use direcx9.0c on my friend computer. Many bugs fixed expecially when playing the old game like red alert 2. I mean the game run smoothly. If you really want to install it this is how you must do.But you must have installer for direcx9.0b and directx9.0c.
first step
extract the directx 9.0b in one folder
second step
extract the directx 9.0c into the other folder
third step
notice all the *.cab file in the directx 9.0c folder
forth step
copy all the *.cab file from directx9.0c and replaced it in the folder for directx9.0b
final step
install the intaller in directx 9.0b
and walla, you with have directx9.0c already install in your computer

this will definitely install directx 9.0c and fully workble without any error

Not sure if it'll work, but I'm stumped for ideas. :angry:
Let me know if it works , just in case I get any problems . I have had to wipe my 120 gig HDD twice now after installing SP2 , I will not be installing SP2 ever again , it really screws around with my computer and only full formats have fixed it . Cheers .
Take care
Raven Vale,Nov 26 2004, 06:31 PM Wrote:Let me know if it works , just in case I get any problems . I have had to wipe my 120 gig HDD twice now after installing SP2 , I will not be installing SP2 ever again , it really screws around with my computer and only full formats have fixed it . Cheers .
[right][snapback]61320[/snapback][/right]

Well, I figured out what was keeping me from upgrading. A long while back I made use of Black Viper's services tweaks in order to tweak my system's performance a bit; apparently, without the Cryptographic Service running, you can't install any sort of DirectX.

Of course, once I had fixed that problem, my machine started rebooting as soon as it got to the 'welcome' screen. So I bit the bullet and reinstalled Windows - I probably lost 10 gigs of files, but it also cleaned out 3 or 4 gigs of garbage files I've never been able to get rid of as well (let me put it this way: my machine was so fouled up the Disk Cleanup wizard would hang).

So far I've installed ZoneAlarm, the critical Windows Update hotfixes, and SP1. In the morning I need to grab everything else (san SP2) from WU, then grab GetRight, AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and a ton of other utilities before I can even think about reinstalling any games. <_<
I don't know about XP, but with 2k you can install a new Windows without formatting and keep all of your files.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
WarLocke,Nov 26 2004, 07:30 PM Wrote:Well, I figured out what was keeping me from upgrading.&nbsp; A long while back I made use of Black Viper's services tweaks in order to tweak my system's performance a bit; apparently, without the Cryptographic Service running, you can't install any sort of DirectX.

Of course, once I had fixed that problem, my machine started rebooting as soon as it got to the 'welcome' screen.&nbsp; So I bit the bullet and reinstalled Windows - I probably lost 10 gigs of files, but it also cleaned out 3 or 4 gigs of garbage files I've never been able to get rid of as well (let me put it this way: my machine was so fouled up the Disk Cleanup wizard would hang).

So far I've installed ZoneAlarm, the critical Windows Update hotfixes, and SP1.&nbsp; In the morning I need to grab everything else (san SP2) from WU, then grab GetRight, AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and a ton of other utilities before I can even think about reinstalling any games.&nbsp; <_<
[right][snapback]61325[/snapback][/right]

Should have tried a repair first before running a reinstall. Repair might have fixed that without you losing all those files.

Lissa,Nov 27 2004, 10:20 AM Wrote:Should have tried a repair first before running a reinstall.&nbsp; Repair might have fixed that without you losing all those files.
[right][snapback]61363[/snapback][/right]
Personally, I hate trying to repair installs. Usually they don't fix all the problems for me and sometimes create more problems than were there before the repair attempt. Thanks to failing physical drive problems that I've had in the past, I just force myself to keep up-to-date backups - two on my machine (two separate physical drives), one on GG's machine (in case BOTH physical drives in my machine get horked at the same time. Yeah, I tend to be a pessimist ;) ), and every couple of months I burn everything to CDs. Yeah, this doesn't help Warlocke out (sorry about that), but it's definitely saved all my files and my sanity when idiot things happen to an install.
Intolerant monkey.
Lissa,Nov 27 2004, 11:20 AM Wrote:Should have tried a repair first before running a reinstall.&nbsp; Repair might have fixed that without you losing all those files.
[right][snapback]61363[/snapback][/right]

I actually did try a repair first, but apparently the problem(s) were to endemic; it quit out with an error message.

Ah well. It's not like anything I had wasn't replaceable.

Now if I can get my soundcard working again, it's being a stinker. <_<