WOW - Tauren Shaman Guide
The Europe release of WOW will be VERY SOON™, so I'm looking for a nice guide for a "Tauren Shaman" from Level 1 to 60, or so. I won't have much time next year to play variants and figure out what the best skilling and equipment is, so some "professional" advice in the form a little "newbie" guide to avoid bad, useless builds is much appreciated :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
check WoWVault It got loads of info, IIRC also guides
I've played the Shaman up to Level 20 as a Tauren, so I could give you some advice.

When you say Tauren, are you asking about the quests, or just the race?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Nov 27 2004, 03:35 AM Wrote:I've played the Shaman up to Level 20 as a Tauren, so I could give you some advice.

When you say Tauren, are you asking about the quests, or just the race?
[right][snapback]61329[/snapback][/right]
Anything that is important to know about a "Tauren Shaman" :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Nov 27 2004, 02:24 AM Wrote:Anything that is important to know about a "Tauren Shaman" :)
[right][snapback]61346[/snapback][/right]
You mean besides just, "They rock!"? ;)

Sorry, it's almost 6 am and I still haven't gotten to sleep yet. And no, it's not because I've been playing WoW. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
nobbie,Nov 27 2004, 02:24 AM Wrote:Anything that is important to know about a "Tauren Shaman" :)
[right][snapback]61346[/snapback][/right]
I've taken screenshots of the hardest part of the Tauren Shaman Fire Totem quest - the cave "northeast of Razor Hill" part. The screenshots start from when you enter Razor Hill from the West road and continue on until the cave itself. That's the hardest part to find, for me anyway. When I get some sleep (and hopefully when I'm more coherent), I'll post them and a quick walkthrough for that quest. The rest of the quest is easy if you've done it before, but can trip up a lot of people if you haven't done it before.

Edit: Ok, I lied. It's not a real walkthrough - just some tips with visual aids.

Most of the time with the level 10 Tauren Shaman quest for the fire totem, you can just go by what the quest log says. The first tip that I wish they would have added into the quest log is the location of Kranal Fiss. Yes, he is north of the Crossroads. Yes, you leave The Crossroads on the Ashenvale/Durotar road. What they neglect to mention is that when the Ashenvale road and the Durotar road split from each other, you follow the Durotar road that goes to the East. He is north of the Durotar road, in Gral'dom Farm. The very first time I did the quest, I followed the Ashenvale road since Ashenvale was mentioned in the quest log and Durotar wasn't.

The next part tripped me up the first time too, but that's because my reading comprehension wasn't up to par that day. :rolleyes: The "hidden" path is on the Durotar side of the river (just like it says in the quest log and the thing I missed the first time), south of the bridge. There's a blackish-greyish rock marking the start of the path. Be prepared to change the angle of your camera frequently while running along that path.

After talking to the little freak who lives on the mountain (Telf Joolam), he sends you out for two items. You get the Fire Tar from the Razormane Geomancers that are on Thorn Hill. Yes, it's only on the Geomancers and I've only consistently gotten it from the ones around Thorn Hill, the eastern most part of it. The quest log just says a general "eastern Barrens". Thanks for being vague Blizzard. It's not like the Barrens is a really large area or anything. :rolleyes:

The reagent pouch is a little trickier. There are actually two caves northeast of Razor Hill - one that I can always find (and the one that almost everyone seems to find first) and then the correct one. ;) If you find the one in Skull Rock, that's the incorrect cave. You want the Dustwind Cave. Both caves are named and they would save a lot of aggravation if they'd just say it's the Dustwind Cave. I've taken screenshots starting with entering Razor Hill along the road that comes from the Barrens (just follow the signs saying "Durotar" and then when you're in Durotar, the signs saying "Razor Hill"). You'll come in on the western edge of Razor Hill. Follow the road until you hit a road sign. Turn slightly to your character's left and continue on past the tree/branch and through the gap in the fence and turn slightly character left and up the hill. At the top of the hill, go on the left hand side of the rocks (another shot of going around the rocks). Keep heading northwest until you see the rock formation that's circled in black in both of those two screenshots. It's the same formation, but for some reason, I didn't get a good screenie of my main landmark, but thankfully GG did. The cave entrance is circled in pinkish-purple. Only the Cultists will actually drop the pouch, but in order to get to the Cultists, you'll have to kill Thugs and Neophytes. They won't drop it so don't get exasperated if you don't get it from them. ;)

After you get both the fire tar and the reagent pouch it's back up the mountain to the nutjob. He'll give you the sapta, but will still have the exclamation mark above his head and if you talk to him again, he'll try to give you yet another sapta. I've /bugged it to Blizzard, as I'm sure many others have. Don't worry about it and just go drink the one you have by the big stone. Kill the elemental up the hill, loot the body and then right click the little brazier that was behind him. (The first time I did the quest, I didn't see the brazier. :rolleyes: ). Now all you have to do is go back to Kranal Fiss.

BTW, welcome to the World of Runcraft for this quest. ;) :P

Edit again: Thanks nobbie. I thought I had caught all the errors when I previewed the post, but apparently not. The "gap" link is now fixed.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Nov 27 2004, 11:20 AM Wrote:BTW, welcome to the World of Runcraft for this quest. ;) :P
[right][snapback]61371[/snapback][/right]
Wait till you do the water quest. I wonder if there is another quest in the whole game where if you counted up how far you have to go for each sub-quest it counts as traveling more area. You litterally have to go from barrens to silverpine and back to barrens twice among others. :wacko:
Sir_Die_alot,Nov 27 2004, 07:30 PM Wrote:Wait till you do the water quest. I wonder if there is another quest in the whole game where if you counted up how far you have to go for each sub-quest it counts as traveling more area. You litterally have to go from barrens to silverpine and back to barrens twice among others. :wacko:
[right][snapback]61375[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like you never got to some of the quests like "The Star, the Hand and the Heart" or the "Sweet Amber" series of quests on the alliance side. The Amber series will have you running all over both continents from the Hinterlands to Tanaris gathering items.
I'm sure some retail players can correct me, but for the most part, race effects your starting area and quests significantly and your stats/build very little. If you're looking for "build" advice as to what talents to invest in and high-end items to seek out, a mere shaman guide will generally do. OTOH your choices here aren't half as significant as say D2, so it's harder to muck your character up into uselessness.
Treesh,Nov 27 2004, 07:20 PM Wrote:I've taken screenshots of the hardest part of the Tauren Shaman Fire Totem quest - the cave "northeast of Razor Hill" part. ...
Thanks for the hints, Treesh. They're now stored on my HD :)
FoxBat,Nov 28 2004, 05:17 AM Wrote:I'm sure some retail players can correct me, but for the most part, race effects your starting area and quests significantly and your stats/build very little.  If you're looking for "build" advice as to what talents to invest in and high-end items to seek out, a mere shaman guide will generally do.  OTOH your choices here aren't half as significant as say D2, so it's harder to muck your character up into uselessness.
[right][snapback]61392[/snapback][/right]

That's pretty much true. Tauren Shaman will have more HP than an Orc or Troll ever will because of their higher Stamina and their racial HP bonus, but will have less Agility (and therefore lower chance of critting and dodging) and less Intellect (having less MP and less chance of critting with a spell), but in the end, it really doesn't matter much.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Treesh,

there's a small error in your text:

In the passage "... and through the GAP in the fence ...", the hyperlink under "GAP" should link to "Firetotem7.jpg", not "Firetotem6.jpg" :)
nobbie,Nov 29 2004, 05:06 AM Wrote:Treesh,

there's a small error in your text:

In the passage "... and through the GAP in the fence ...", the hyperlink under "GAP" should link to "Firetotem7.jpg", not "Firetotem6.jpg" :)
[right][snapback]61495[/snapback][/right]
Thanks nobbie. It's fixed. So many links, so many previews before posting, and I still missed something. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
While I'm not quite up to making a big writeup on the topic, I have played a tauren shaman up to 60 and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks. It would be nice, though, if you could make a little overview (stats/skills) of your level 60 Tauren Shaman and how you've leveled him up (roughly) :)
I'll see if I can write up more detail at another time. For now, you can see my end of beta equipment which is for the most part accurate

http://thottbot.com/beta.cgi?profile=BEEF.PvP_Server

For dungeons I have a couple more +int pieces that I prefer over what is shown. Overall I focused on intellect because as a shaman you can directly translate mana into health or damage.

For talents I highly recommend speccing with enough restoration to get nature's swiftness. This is ideal for just about any build as improved lesser healing wave and nature's swiftness are just that good. Enhancement and restoration are also very fun and you can pick between those as you prefer for flavor.