Should have listened to Bolty
It appears WoW really isn't a Wow! Game has been crashed for 5 hours and could be quite longer for the forseable future. This game is clearly not ready for primetime and the boatloads of people that want to play it. Should have waited the 6+ months that Bolty recommended:( O well, another wasted $60 bucks.
Cenarius Alliance

Liscentia 80 Death Knight (450 Herbalism 425 Inscription)
Mysteryium 80 Shaman (450 Skinning 441 Leatherworking)
Tutelin 80 Priest (413 Enchanting 420 Tailoring)
Frozzen 73 Mage (Tailoring 375 Enchanting 375)
Obstinate 71 Hunter (375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy)
Squabbles 70 Warlock (Tailoring 375 Leatherworking 291)
Niniuin 70 Paladin (Herbailism 375 Alchemy 375)
Thunderous 66 Warrior (Mining 375 Tailoring 360)
Sword_of_Doom,Nov 24 2004, 08:59 PM Wrote:It appears WoW really isn't a Wow!  Game has been crashed for 5 hours and could be quite longer for the forseable future.  This game is clearly not ready for primetime and the boatloads of people that want to play it.  Should have waited the 6+ months that Bolty recommended:(  O well, another wasted $60 bucks.
[right][snapback]61165[/snapback][/right]

Just wait a few months and maybe that $60 won't be a waste.
I would say your server choice may be a factor here.

After spending 30 minutes trying to get onto the AB PvP server last night then experienceing alot of lag there, I decided to try a low pop server and jumped on the Pacific RP server Cenerius.

No lag, no waiting, no spawn camping. Nothing at all to restrict my gameplay. Just friendly people enjoying the game around me without a massive crowd of players clogging up the starting areas.
Dyntheos,Nov 24 2004, 07:13 PM Wrote:I would say your server choice may be a factor here.
[right][snapback]61170[/snapback][/right]
And that is where Blizzard appears to have made their mistake. For some period of time after the release, they should have placed restrictions on server choice, not by location but by numbers already signed up on each server. They must have gotten a good idea of what each server could handle during the stress and beta tests. Short of groups of friends and guilds, there is no reason why anyone should have any need to be on a specific server. Their server suggestion did not go far enough. I am sure that this would have angered some people, especially large guilds, but the limitation could have been lifted after a week or two when the flow of new accounts would have already ebbed. Doing so would have spread the population and would have ensured that the spread would have remained as friends joined friends who were already distributed through the choices.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Sword_of_Doom,Nov 25 2004, 12:59 AM Wrote:It appears WoW really isn't a Wow!  Game has been crashed for 5 hours and could be quite longer for the forseable future.  This game is clearly not ready for primetime and the boatloads of people that want to play it.  Should have waited the 6+ months that Bolty recommended:(  O well, another wasted $60 bucks.
[right][snapback]61165[/snapback][/right]

Heh you didn't need to be a clairvoyant to see this.

As for server choice, I think people who wanted to play PVP server would not want to join RP server =)
LochnarITB,Nov 24 2004, 09:00 PM Wrote:And that is where Blizzard appears to have made their mistake.  For some period of time after the release, they should have placed restrictions on server choice, not by location but by numbers already signed up on each server.  They must have gotten a good idea of what each server could handle during the stress and beta tests.  Short of groups of friends and guilds, there is no reason why anyone should have any need to be on a specific server.  Their server suggestion did not go far enough.  I am sure that this would have angered some people, especially large guilds, but the limitation could have been lifted after a week or two when the flow of new accounts would have already ebbed.  Doing so would have spread the population and would have ensured that the spread would have remained as friends joined friends who were already distributed through the choices.
[right][snapback]61177[/snapback][/right]

I understand they set server population caps artificially low for the starting period. Thus all the queues at the beginning. Isn't that precisely what you're talking about?
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,Nov 24 2004, 08: Wrote:I understand they set server population caps artificially low for the starting period. Thus all the queues at the beginning. Isn't that precisely what you're talking about?
[right][snapback]61183[/snapback][/right]
No. That is the number of people logged in at any one particular time. I meant they should have limited the actual number of accounts that could be created per server. It seems that a few of the servers got a disproportionate number of new accounts. As all these people try to hit the server they made accounts on, then the queues appear as they try to all get back in. I was of the mind that, if they spread the new accounts across the realms better, the traffic might have evened out a little better. However, Bliz has noted the following on the WoW site:
Quote:Please also note that we have determined that the latency issues that have cropped up are unrelated to individual server populations. For the time being, latency while fighting and looting monsters can be expected on all servers, regardless of population. We are continuing to focus on resolving this issue as quickly as possible.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Nov 24 2004, 09:35 PM Wrote:No.  That is the number of people logged in at any one particular time.  I meant they should have limited the actual number of accounts that could be created per server.  It seems that a few of the servers got a disproportionate number of new accounts.  As all these people try to hit the server they made accounts on, then the queues appear as they try to all get back in.  I was of the mind that, if they spread the new accounts across the realms better, the traffic might have evened out a little better.  However, Bliz has noted the following on the WoW site:
[right][snapback]61189[/snapback][/right]

Deja Vu all over again, D II's release. Latency . . . "traffic" jams.

However, did anyone expect a seamless debut? If so, why?

Sprint and drift, not to mention who knows what else, and I suspect that they'll fix some of the problems sooner, not later. On the other hand, there was the bow bug . . .

I'd say they are shooting par, maybe one or two over, for the course. (Wish I could play, though . . .)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 24 2004, 09:46 PM Wrote:However, did anyone expect a seamless debut?  If so, why?
[right][snapback]61191[/snapback][/right]
I certainly didn't. However, I did not expect the main problem I am seeing. That is the looting/battle lag. I expected to have queues of people trying to get onto servers. For the early stages, I would have had no problem with playing where I could find a server and then settling into one server that the Lurkers agreed on in a week or two. However, the way it is now, I can find a server to get on but then they all seem to be unplayable due to several minute waits to loot a corpse and deaths associated with being stuck in the loot lag. It just seems a very odd reason for it to be unplayable. I have even seen people advocating killing without looting but this negates any questing as they all seem to involve items, be it bring me X of Y or fedex the foozle.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Occhidiangela,Nov 25 2004, 03:46 AM Wrote:Deja Vu all over again, D II's release.  Latency . . . "traffic" jams.

However, did anyone expect a seamless debut?  If so, why?

Occhi
[right][snapback]61191[/snapback][/right]

These were major problems during Open Beta; in fact the problems that people describe now are identical to what people experienced then. One would assume that Blizzard could at least attempt to fix the problems that they were already aware of, but they did not.

These kind of problems are what Bolty and I expected and thus will hold on till its all settled.
LochnarITB,Nov 24 2004, 11:57 PM Wrote:I can find a server to get on but then they all seem to be unplayable due to several minute waits to loot a corpse and deaths associated with being stuck in the loot lag.  It just seems a very odd reason for it to be unplayable. [right][snapback]61194[/snapback][/right]

There's something on the front page now saying that this particular problem is not related to server population:

Quote:Please also note that we have determined that the latency issues that have cropped up are unrelated to individual server populations. For the time being, latency while fighting and looting monsters can be expected on all servers, regardless of population.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Roane,Nov 24 2004, 11:49 PM Wrote:There's something on the front page now saying that this particular problem is not related to server population:

Yeah, whatever it was, it obviously had something to do with the item database or the connections between the item database and the individual servers. The game would run fine if you just walked around and killed things, but as soon as you looted an item, tried to buy an item from a shop, or completed a quest where you get an item as a reward, you'd get severe lag. Interestingly, if the item you were picking up could stack with an item already in your inventory there didn't seem to be any problems. For example, you could pick up cash just fine. Also, if you had less than a full stack of linen, then you could pick up linen.

Anyway, this problem didn't seem related to server populations or at least it didn't seem to be related to the population on an individual server. Maybe it had something to do with the overall population in a region. Dunno. I hope the maintanance that's going on now will have whatever the problem was fixed up.
I experience the same thing on launch night. Last night however on the Tich (pvp west) I played for 6 hours straight. Enjoyable....

I haven't experienced the "look up and it's 6 am OMG" feeling since Diablo 2. (This is my first MMO.)
Znassin - Lvl59 Troll Priest (almost there!Wink
Tichondrius Server
Anyone wanna bet tha a big reason for the server problems is because of the people trying to figure out how to haxxor the game?

-rcv-
channel1,Nov 25 2004, 09:55 PM Wrote:Anyone wanna bet tha a big reason for the server problems is because of the people trying to figure out how to haxxor the game?

-rcv-
[right][snapback]61235[/snapback][/right]
Could be the case. The first guy who manages it would be a real "star" for those people :angry: the financial reward would also be much bigger than anything in DII. On the other hand I'm hoping that Blizzard learned some lessons from all that duping and hacks on DII.

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Roane,Nov 25 2004, 12:49 AM Wrote:There's something on the front page now saying that this particular problem is not related to server population:
[right][snapback]61211[/snapback][/right]
Hehe, yeah, that's why I had the same quote in my earlier post.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
enthusiast,Nov 25 2004, 03:47 PM Wrote:I experience the same thing on launch night.&nbsp; Last night however on the Tich (pvp west) I played for 6 hours straight. Enjoyable....
[right][snapback]61234[/snapback][/right]
They brought down most, if not all, of the servers last night. When they came back up, it seemed that the item problem had gone away. I hope it has stayed away. I haven't been on yet today. If it is gone and it was resolved that quickly, it would be a very good thing. Queues trying to get on the most popular servers with all the others trying to do the same was the only other problem I have had. If they can limit it to those two problems, I would call it a successful launch indeed.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Im still haappy to be playing.

Despite the problems, I am still glad I bought the game on the first day. Im having great fun.
LochnarITB,Nov 25 2004, 09:26 PM Wrote:Hehe, yeah, that's why I had the same quote in my earlier post.
[right][snapback]61245[/snapback][/right]

Oy, missed that. I tend to skip over the quotes and read the typed text. Sorry!
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
enthusiast,Nov 25 2004, 02:47 PM Wrote:I experience the same thing on launch night.&nbsp; Last night however on the Tich (pvp west) I played for 6 hours straight. Enjoyable....

Yep, I played on Tich last night for eight hours and had no problems. Well, there were two world server resets, but the server was only down for a minute at most each time. No problems with in-game lag or item problems.