First Impressions of the WOW Retail Game
The title says it already: What are your first impressions of the "World of Warcraft" retail version in the U.S.?

How are the server loads, connectivity, ping rates?

Was it a "smooth launch" so far?

What are your first characters and how far did you get?

If you have bought the WOW Collector's Edition, what's your opinion about it? Is it worth the price?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I played in the beta a good while, so it may be a biased "first impression" .
The last patch from beta IS the retail game, no patching if you were in beta. Framerates were good even though my server was listed as "HIGH" popultion. Framerates good, nothing noticeable changed since beta. I was able to make level 5.5 on my character (a gnome mage) in about 1hr.

Can't comment on collectors, but I passed.
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Check out this thread over at the Amazon Basin WOW forums:

"Queue to get in ... even at "Low" population"

Can anyone here confirm the long waiting lines (during prime time)?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I had just enough time to create my characters (reserving their names). I briefly joined the game and ran around.

I had instant response from the website (as soon as I completed making my account, I could log in). I ran around a little, noticing for the first time (due to how many people were there) that it's a shame there isn't more customization with your looks.

But I noticed no lag, no waiting -- things looked very smooth.

Admittedly, that's all I did ,but I immediately thought to myself that they must have worked out some of the problems we saw during open beta.

I spent a lot longer in line to pick up my copy of the game :(
nobbie,Nov 23 2004, 05:04 AM Wrote:If you have bought the WOW Collector's Edition, what's your opinion about it? Is it worth the price?
[right][snapback]60921[/snapback][/right]

Depends on whether you can afford it. I'm a big fan of Blizzard, especially in the art & story department, so getting their CE's is always a goal of mine, regardless of price. The added video, music, and artwork is always worth the extra dough in my eyes. But that's me. Some people don't care for such things, or think they aren't worth nearly enough to justify the cost. I can understand their viewpoint, but I don't share it. I LOVE flipping through the artbook, especially for both WC3 and WoW.

Go with whatever you're comfortable affording. But remember: the regular edition will almost always be around. The CE is VERY limited in quantity. Choose wisely.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Nov 23 2004, 06:32 PM Wrote:Go with whatever you're comfortable affording. But remember: the regular edition will almost always be around. The CE is VERY limited in quantity. Choose wisely.

Limited as in what only a million copies made? When anyone with a few extra bucks to plunk down can buy something, it's not limited in quantity. If the extra artwork, etc. is worth it to you, then that's great for you. But I wouldn't buy the rap that it's somehow special because it's a limited quantity item. It's only limited by the number of people who are willing to pay an extra $30.
Roland,Nov 23 2004, 08:32 PM Wrote:Depends on whether you can afford it. I'm a big fan of Blizzard, especially in the art & story department, so getting their CE's is always a goal of mine, regardless of price. The added video, music, and artwork is always worth the extra dough in my eyes. But that's me. Some people don't care for such things, or think they aren't worth nearly enough to justify the cost. I can understand their viewpoint, but I don't share it. I LOVE flipping through the artbook, especially for both WC3 and WoW.

Go with whatever you're comfortable affording. But remember: the regular edition will almost always be around. The CE is VERY limited in quantity. Choose wisely.
[right][snapback]61017[/snapback][/right]
Roland, Blizzard was still selling D2 Collectors' Editions months after release.

Oh, and as predicted, I hear the East WoW servers are getting clogged up while the West servers are doing fine. I don't understand why people obsess over geographical locations when they're so meaningless on the Internet.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Nov 23 2004, 11:25 PM Wrote:Roland, Blizzard was still selling D2 Collectors' Editions months after release.

Oh, and as predicted, I hear the East WoW servers are getting clogged up while the West servers are doing fine.&nbsp; I don't understand why people obsess over geographical locations when they're so meaningless on the Internet.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]61033[/snapback][/right]

Can we call you psychic, then? :P

Magtheridon (the server I was assigned; just as well, since all of the others were either High or Medium loads) was just fine for the two hours it took me to get to LV6. It started getting a bit laggy when it came to looting and crafting, so I went fishing for a bit, made some food, and then logged out. I need to work on MP5 skills in CS:S anyway :)

Camp Narache and the starting areas were pretty camped - as expected - but it wasn't horrifically bad. Quests that took ten minutes took fifteen, and Break Sharptusk! was easily completed by grouping up with the four others waiting for a chance to take a crack at him :)

The only negative: bad manners abound. People apparently think /yell is the best way to ask stupid questions (i.e., those that can be answered by speaking to a guard or reading the fscking quest log more carefully), and I died a horrible death when some ass trained six gnolls into me while I was eating <_<
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.