Devil's in the Details
Being the incessant perfectionist I can sometimes be, I've been digging around a bit looking for information on how the defensive abilities are applied while planning a talent build for my paladin.

Key points I'd really like clarified:
- How is chance to block calculated?
- Does AC effect your chance to be hit or only reduce damage from a hit?
- Abilities that increase chance to block/chance to crit; do they add a solid % or do the increase your base chance by a %?
- Damage or defense, which would you choose? Why?

If anyone has any idea on the mechanics, please drop an answer.

Paladin Talents Calc

Any thoughts on the various new auras/seals/blessings found on the talent trees?

Blessing of Kings is just sweet-looking. Improved Blessing of Freedom could be a fun tool in PvP, but that's a pretty heavy talent investment. Repentance seems a bit weak for how far down the tree it is (though it's good enough to not really move it UP the tree), as does Sanctity Aura given that it'd be pretty limited as to who it benefits.

Thanks.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Quote:How is chance to block calculated?

That's what we need you to discover and post on the boards here. :lol: I think the main components are the blocking rating on your shield and the level of both the attacker and defender. After that, there's a separate calculation on how much damage is blocked. Unlike Diablo II, a successful block does not block all of the damage. I think strength comes in to play here, but I'm not certain.

Quote:Does AC effect your chance to be hit or only reduce damage from a hit?

It only reduces the damage taken from a hit, but the effect is significant.

Quote:Abilities that increase chance to block/chance to crit; do they add a solid % or do the increase your base chance by a %?

They add a solid %, so they are very useful.

Quote:Damage or defense, which would you choose? Why?

My advice is to collect items for both cases so you can don the appropriate armor for the situation. If your paladin is going to tank for a party, then you definitely want defence. If someone else (like, say, a warrior) is tanking, then you probably want to focus on offense. I can't help you in solo situations, since I haven't played a paladin before.
MongoJerry,Nov 22 2004, 09:23 PM Wrote:That's what we need you to discover and post on the boards here.  :lol:  I think the main components are the blocking rating on your shield and the level of both the attacker and defender.  After that, there's a separate calculation on how much damage is blocked. 
[right][snapback]60875[/snapback][/right]

Will have to find a parser, then.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek