Just a reminder
For those of you who haven't been keeping up with WoW lately, it's coming out tomorrow (the 23rd) everywhere except Europe. I guess you Europeans might be able to snag a copy off ebay or something =/
Less QQ more Pew Pew
I believe Blizzard said in their latest press release that Europeans should not purchase the US version, as they would only make the game accessible to the North-America region.

Whether they'll actually enforce this with IP checking or just with the credit card billing address, I don't know - they also said that they would allow Europeans and Americans to play together once the Europe version is out, though, so I don't mind waiting for a bit longer now :)
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
Malakar,Nov 23 2004, 04:52 AM Wrote:I guess you Europeans might be able to snag a copy off ebay or something =/
[right][snapback]60862[/snapback][/right]

You misspelled slummites ;)

Ah, the joys of being at the bottom end of the gaming companies.
Bah, I'm fighting here, but I just can't justify the overall cost for a pay-to-play game. I'll be sure to keep tabs on everything here, though.
See you in Town,
-Z
It could be worse. I've heard of old MUDs that were pay per hour or something. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oops, wrong reply button :huh:
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Zarathustra,Nov 23 2004, 10:12 AM Wrote:Bah, I'm fighting here, but I just can't justify the overall cost for a pay-to-play game.  I'll be sure to keep tabs on everything here, though.
[right][snapback]60944[/snapback][/right]

I dunno. It's entertainment. How many hours will you play, and compare that to how much you might spend on movies or renting videos. It's pretty easy for me and my wife to spend $50 - $100 on just one evening out (much cheaper now that we quite buying expensive dinner wines).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Nov 23 2004, 12:29 PM Wrote:I dunno.  It's entertainment.  How many hours will you play, and compare that to how much you might spend on movies or renting videos.  It's pretty easy for me and my wife to spend $50 - $100 on just one evening out (much cheaper now that we quite buying expensive dinner wines).
[right][snapback]60957[/snapback][/right]

Oh, I understand that it's all relative, and far be it from me to dissuade anyone from buying such a great game. I guess I'm just looking back on Diablo II...

I played it, online, for how many years? 3 years? That's consistent playing. I had the collector's edition and made sure to get a copy of the expansion right away, but let's go with base prices at release and say $50 for the game and $30 for the expansion. Had it been pay to play, we're looking at over four hundred dollars for the time I played the game.

Yet, I had all that enjoyment for the price of the use of the base game and expansion, and at any point I can reinstall to play it again. Same goes for the original Diablo (well, until the random generator expires in... is it 2047? :blink: ).

On top of that, I just don't care to have another bill added each month. *shrugs*
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Nov 23 2004, 02:10 PM Wrote:...
On top of that, I just don't care to have another bill added each month.  *shrugs*
[right][snapback]60966[/snapback][/right]
I hear that. I prefer the pay once play forever model as well. But, then again, compared to the price of tickets to a Laker's game... My problem is that I'm not sure I will like WoW enough to want to subscribe for long, but I buy many games and get a few hundred hours of play out of them. I'm thinking just like that health club membership, I will find after a few months of exuberance that I'm not that keen to go hang out in an overcrowded, smelly, locker room anymore. Especially, if all my basketball playing buddies have quit as well. What is troubling about some of the new game delivery models is that ability to pull it off the shelf in 12-48 months and play a little.

Diablo and Diablo II for me as well had a very low cost per hour, good for us, and bad for Blizzard and the other games we did not play (and not to mention the missed social interactions with humans in the real world. :) ).

So, I bought it and I will give it a try for the free 30 days, and if I like it I might buy on for a few more months. I do not see myself as an Evercrack junkie however, and I doubt I will be playing WoW much a year from now.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:I do not see myself as an Evercrack junkie however

I said something like that to myself in October of 2000.

I uninstalled EverQuest a week ago.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
kandrathe,Nov 24 2004, 09:59 AM Wrote:So, I bought it and I will give it a try for the free 30 days, and if I like it I might buy on for a few more months.  I do not see myself as an Evercrack junkie however, and I doubt I will be playing WoW much a year from now.
[right][snapback]60976[/snapback][/right]

$100 bucks for 30 days??? No chance that I'll be buying it.

Out of interest, what is the regular repayment cost, and what are the repayment methods available (particularly to the non-U.S. ppl)?

Enjoy.
whyBish,Nov 23 2004, 10:05 PM Wrote:$100 bucks for 30 days???  No chance that I'll be buying it.

Out of interest, what is the regular repayment cost, and what are the repayment methods available (particularly to the non-U.S. ppl)?

Enjoy.
[right][snapback]61044[/snapback][/right]
For the US people, clicky. For non-US, clicky.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Nov 24 2004, 01:50 AM Wrote:For the US people, clicky.  For non-US, clicky.
[right][snapback]61066[/snapback][/right]

Oh my lord!! $14.95 a month?! Wow. I am so grateful that I was able to participate in the beta, because now I know what I will be missing. Not all that much, actually.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
whyBish,Nov 23 2004, 11:05 PM Wrote:$100 bucks for 30 days???  No chance that I'll be buying it.

Enjoy.
[right][snapback]61044[/snapback][/right]
Where did you get $100 for 30 days? The first 30 days are included in the $50 game fee, and the 3 month plan is $13/month for an additional $39 bucks. I'm looking at $89 for 4 months of play, and then I'm probably done.

Malakar,Nov 23 2004, 05:18 PM Wrote:It could be worse. I've heard of old MUDs that were pay per hour or something. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oops, wrong reply button :huh:
[right][snapback]60947[/snapback][/right]
IMHO, that might even be better. Of course with an adjusted fee.
At least that way you wouldn't pay for not playing.
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
Jugalator,Nov 24 2004, 05:53 PM Wrote:IMHO, that might even be better. Of course with an adjusted fee.
At least that way you wouldn't pay for not playing.
[right][snapback]61148[/snapback][/right]

O.o That would be very bad for an addict like me. ;)
JustAGuy,Nov 24 2004, 03:07 AM Wrote:Oh my lord!! $14.95 a month?! Wow. I am so grateful that I was able to participate in the beta, because now I know what I will be missing. Not all that much, actually.
[right][snapback]61075[/snapback][/right]

We will be missing you.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
kandrathe,Nov 25 2004, 02:50 AM Wrote:Where did you get $100 for 30 days?&nbsp; The first 30 days are included in the $50 game fee, and the 3 month plan is $13/month for an additional $39 bucks.&nbsp; I'm looking at $89 for 4 months of play, and then I'm probably done.
[right][snapback]61104[/snapback][/right]
Sorry, NZD.
With the weak USD that currently equates to $70 bucks for the first 30 days ...

Still can't see any info on billing rates for NZ or AUS people. I will have to have a hunt just out of curiousity.

Is that with addtional characters because right now i am thinking between Wow and eq2 14.95vs 15.95$ usd, at the current time i am deep into Final fantasy XI onlne and its only 12.95 but you pay 1.00$ dollar more per new character, and i hear that everquest II has only 4 slots.... and was invited to the WOW closed and open but could but not download the software....
<_<
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
Wiccan,Nov 29 2004, 03:45 AM Wrote:Is that with addtional characters because right now i am thinking between Wow and eq2 14.95vs 15.95$ usd, at the current time i am deep into Final fantasy XI onlne and its only 12.95 but you pay 1.00$ dollar more per new character, and i hear that everquest II has only 4 slots.... and was invited to the WOW closed and open but could but not download the software....
<_<
[right][snapback]61484[/snapback][/right]

You can have 50 characters total across all the realms and 8 characters per server. There is at this time no additional charge for having that many characters.
Tal,Nov 29 2004, 08:06 AM Wrote:You can have 50 characters total across all the realms and 8 characters per server. There is at this time no additional charge for having that many characters.
[right][snapback]61504[/snapback][/right]
Minor nit> Up to 10 characters per server, with the 50 total across all servers. Not 8.

Edit: Huh. Caydiem on the boards said it was 10 per server, but the FAQ says 8. Maybe I should go character-creation crazy and see which one is right. :)

Edit2: The FAQ is wrong. Caydiem is correct. It's 10 per server. I'm going to have to keep one of the characters I just created though because he is one scary looking dwarf. :D
Intolerant monkey.