Did anyone try Ranger and what kind
Any luck = post your dmg? :)
ClassicM,Nov 22 2004, 08:52 PM Wrote:Any luck = post your dmg? :)
[right][snapback]60840[/snapback][/right]

First, let's define Ranger. :) I think of Rangers as Paladins that use Bows or Crossbows.

I have made a number of them - two back in Classic D2, and then a few more since.

Things changed yet again with the v1.10 patch, and instead of making a Ranger, I made a Thrower Paladin - a Ranger with Resists ! He maxed Holy Freeze and Holy Shock, along with the accompanying synergies of Resist Cold and Resist Lighting. He was a great deal of fun to play, although racing back to town for repairs had moments of annoyance.

And, on this ladder, I am trying a Holy Fire/Holy Freeze Ranger. He is only 58 and won't be in Hell for a while, so I cannot really comment yet on him, except to say that the early stages are remarkably easy. :) That will most certainly change in Hell though. :P
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ClassicM,Nov 22 2004, 08:52 PM Wrote:Any luck = post your dmg? :)
[right][snapback]60840[/snapback][/right]

Well, that depends on your definition of "luck". A ranger can be very successful, but will really never be among the fastest killers.

I currently have a pure ranger who uses holy fire in combination with bows that have the explosive arrows property. The fire damage from holy fire adds to the fire explosions, thus giving me a form of crowd control. I can't remember my damage without checking(I haven't played D2 in weeks), but I believe the total was a little over 1K, nearly all of it fire.

Skills:
Holy fire 20
Resist fire 20
Salvation 20
Holy freeze 20
rest into resist cold and prereqs.

Through normal and nightmare, elemental rangers(either cold/fireghtning) are very powerful builds. Once they reach hell though, they slow significantly. The random leaders often spawn with high resists/immunities. I would suggest a barb merc if you plan on soloing often; rangers generally need a tank of some sort, and act2 mercs are pretty fragile in hell unless you have very good gear for them(or BO/Oak).

Baajikiil,Nov 23 2004, 12:19 PM Wrote:I would suggest a barb merc if you plan on soloing often; rangers generally need a tank of some sort, and act2 mercs are pretty fragile in hell unless you have very good gear for them(or BO/Oak).
[right][snapback]60949[/snapback][/right]

Hi

Query for you on the mercenary choice: Just where did your AR come from if you didn't use a Blessed Aim mercenary? I have cross checked my Thrower's AR in Hell without the benefit of his mercenary's aura, and it is downright pitiful. In fact, he fired his Might mercenary once he hit Act IV Hell and hired a Blessed Aim one because of that problem.

I had the impression that if you wanted your arrows to Pierce, you needed AR (as with the Kuko Shakaku). And if you are using the likes of Wizendraw as your weapon swap bow, you really need AR.

So how did you get around that problem? I am particularly interested, as my new Ladder Ranger will end up with similar skill point allocation to yours. :)
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

ShadowHM,Nov 23 2004, 12:33 PM Wrote:So how did you get around that problem?   I am particularly interested, as my new Ladder Ranger will end up with similar skill point allocation to yours.   :)
[right][snapback]60951[/snapback][/right]

You are correct about the piercing needing AR. I've been using Hsaru's belt and boots(+10 AR per lvl), and I'm about lvl 80 right now. So +800 off the bat. I also have upped my dex significantly, to 190(188 is the requirement for upped kuko IIRC). 190 dex gives about another 750.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a Kuko yet :(. So the piercing is not an issue. Hitting is still much better than missing though; if I hit I'll be applying the fire damage from holy fire on both the impact and the explosion(if I understand things currectly). I'm currently using a shaeled upgraded(single upgrade) ravenclaw. Ravenclaw gives +50% Ar, and I'm around 2.4K AR.

I've been to farther acts in Hell, but this is HC, and I usually try to play in areas where the monster lvl is closer to 80 than to 85. When start fightning higher lvl monsters than me, I miss much more often. 2.4K was enough for me, but I don't have to worry about pierce yet. Once I get my Kuko I may have to rethink my strat.

The explosion autohits, so I'm doing damage with every shot(vs non fire immunes), and on my switch I use a Fool's bow of something. If I can get my hands on a wizendraw, I may put an eth in it instead of a shael. Not sure yet. Most of the time actually, my merc handles the fire immunes. He's using a crescent moon ethereal highland blade(I think it was highland blade).

EDIT: Oh yes, I should have mentioned something about AR, the bane of the ranger, but I was thinking of his other post; he is going to be using a Widowmaker.
Baajikiil,Nov 23 2004, 02:44 PM Wrote:I've been using Hsaru's belt and boots(+10 AR per lvl), and I'm about lvl 80 right now.  So +800 off the bat.  I also have upped my dex significantly, to 190(188 is the requirement for upped kuko IIRC).  190 dex gives about another 750.

[right][snapback]60970[/snapback][/right]

You have my admiration for managing in Hell with a two layer belt. :)

I just took on Diablo in NM with that aforementioned Ranger. He does have a four layer rare belt (lighting resist and plus life). And killing Diablo took two and a half full belts worth of potions. <_<

When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Quote:You have my admiration for managing in Hell with a two layer belt.&nbsp;

It can be a hassle at times. I usually keep 6 super healing, and only 2 full rejuvs. I end up drinking very often, but can sometimes pick up enough potions to tide me over until reloading time. I usually don't need more than 2 full rejuvs at a clip, and I keep a few in my stash just in case I need a refill.

My battle with Diablo in NM took forever(I had help in hell). I stuffed my entire inventory full of heals several times. But the beauty is that it was very safe; as long as there is little desync, you can keep diablo offscreen most of the time while you kill him.
[quote=ShadowHM,Nov 24 2004, 12:23 PM]

Since Hsarus' has 12 slots doesn't that male it a three layer belt?

>confused<
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Assur,Nov 25 2004, 05:51 PM Wrote:Since Hsarus' has 12 slots doesn't that male it a three layer belt?

>confused<
[right][snapback]61237[/snapback][/right]

Oops ! Mea culpa - I was reading Hsaru's and thinking Death's belt. :o
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Assur,Nov 25 2004, 10:51 PM Wrote:Since Hsarus' has 12 slots doesn't that male it a three layer belt?

Yes, but it does highlight some of the odd terminology used. If you work backwards, then when your character is wearing no belt at all they still have space to hold 4 potions, or one layer. So how can "no belt" provide you with 1 layer? ;-)

(This is mostly rhetorical; I call plated belts and higher "4-row belts" myself...)
You don't know what you're talking about.
Assur,Nov 25 2004, 05:51 PM Wrote:[quote=ShadowHM,Nov 24 2004, 12:23 PM]

Since Hsarus' has 12 slots doesn't that male it a three layer belt?

>confused<
[right][snapback]61237[/snapback][/right]

Argh, I even didn't think of that. Of course it makes it 9 full healing and 3 full rejuvs in my belt. Much better than death's on a melee character(which I also have done on occasions).

I haven't played in a while ;)

Here is my final report as my lvl 58 ranger/ smiter stands in NM ready for act V.

YUPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I luv this ranger..

My skills

Fanat - max
Smite - going for max but it is at lvl 10
Holly shield - lvl 15 going for max
Sacrifice - lvl 12 going for lvl 15 I think - comment
Zeal - lvl 2 - going for 5 I think - comment
Vigor 1 - wasted 5 points to get to vigor.

I need conviction at least 1 - another waste of 5 points to get to it.
and need some passive resist - I dunno how this works in 1.10 so would appreciate if someone can explain?

Use - whichwild string - WHAT A BOW IN 1.10. I killed everything with one or two shots + two sockets are still empty (anyone what is the dmg on it after it is upgraded).

On switch - Acarane Targe - +1 pala 30resist all, with 99ed small crescent that does some awesome dmg. My dmg in zeal at lvl 58 was 1200.

I absolutely enjoy the build and firing at 9fps making some zons look ridicules - bow dmg 949-1041

I started thread on how to get max dex from belt armor boots gloves and helm - please join me.

Other than that - AWSOME FUN - I smite and I shoot. whenever there is lightning bolt boss I smite him once and then fire arrows. Works every time.
I have built several rangers, in 1.09 my favorite (he was pure) delt upwards of 5k per shot with a windy....if you venture over to the basin boards and the pally forum I have guide that is under need of revision but still helpfull

Elvish
Elvish_Legion,Nov 29 2004, 01:07 AM Wrote:I have built several rangers, in 1.09 my favorite (he was pure) delt upwards of 5k per shot with a windy....if you venture over to the basin boards and the pally forum I have guide that is under need of revision but still helpfull

Elvish
[right][snapback]61456[/snapback][/right]

I have build a ranger in 1.09 with 12k dmg. He was stacking conc and fanat. :)
ClassicM,Nov 29 2004, 02:20 AM Wrote:I have build a ranger in 1.09 with 12k dmg. He was stacking conc and fanat. :)
[right][snapback]61461[/snapback][/right]

Not bad, mine stil broke 5k in 1.1 :P and got the job done, if you are interested in helping update a Ranger guide send me a pm I could use some help

Elvish