Server TZ?
If anyone knows, what time zone will the majority here more than likely play on? Just curious.
[Image: grogsig23nz.jpg]
NightShade101,Nov 20 2004, 12:14 AM Wrote:If anyone knows, what time zone will the majority here more than likely play on? Just curious.
[right][snapback]60547[/snapback][/right]

I am in the eastern time zone. While I would prefer eastern, I am willing to play in whatever region has the most lurkers. It is hard enough to agree on PvE/PvP/RP/etc.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
NightShade101,Nov 19 2004, 11:14 PM Wrote:If anyone knows, what time zone will the majority here more than likely play on? Just curious.

East Coast all the way.

As for what server type, it's really a tossup, but I'll probably run a multitude of characters on each server type. If I find PvE to truly be boring, or that PvP offers a more enjoyable experience, I'll probably go that route. I already hopped on late last night to watch the ending (East was down :(), and found Boltie (ala Bolty) there, much to his surprise. Although I must admit the quality of people in there was WAY below what I was used to, Bolty and I agree that's merely because it was the end of the beta and I was still in the STARTING zone. ;) Even so, I have my doubts about the quality of people on a PvP server.

I've NEVER had comraderie problems in PvE, so I don't see why people insist PvP is so much better. I may enjoy the "thrill" of a PvP server, if ONLY because it IS the WC universe, but somehow I think PvP may still not be my "thing". Time will tell however.

Personally, I don't care what server we choose, so long as it's on the East Coast. ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
NightShade101,Nov 20 2004, 12:14 AM Wrote:If anyone knows, what time zone will the majority here more than likely play on? Just curious.

I'm Eastern as well but we may have more luck getting everyone on to Central. Eastern was always pretty full during Open.
NightShade101,Nov 19 2004, 11:14 PM Wrote:If anyone knows, what time zone will the majority here more than likely play on? Just curious.
You are all aware that time zone doesn't really matter? The servers are all hosted in the same place. There's very little reason to choose servers based on simple geography, since due to the convoluted nature of the Internet, you may often times get a better connection to a server on the other side of the continent than one just a few blocks from your domicile. YMMV.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Nov 20 2004, 10:14 AM Wrote:You are all aware that time zone doesn't really matter?  The servers are all hosted in the same place.  There's very little reason to choose servers based on simple geography, since due to the convoluted nature of the Internet, you may often times get a better connection to a server on the other side of the continent than one just a few blocks from your domicile.  YMMV.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]60582[/snapback][/right]

Quoted for agreement. And as Tal said central was generally way lower pop then Eastern. It isn't like you can't change your time offset so the game clock gives you local time (or maybe that was just in one of the interface mods I toyed with as well)

But I still don't think it matters that much. Heck in the open beta I had chars in all the time zones because sometimes one set would go down but I could play on another. Though it seemed Central and East were linked and Mountian and West were linked as they would pretty much always go down in those groups.

Of course it's probably going to come down to wherever the preorders end up going. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Nov 20 2004, 01:52 PM Wrote:  Though it seemed Central and East were linked and Mountian and West were linked as they would pretty much always go down in those groups.

[right][snapback]60592[/snapback][/right]
That's because they were linked, not just seemed like it. ;) IIRC, one of the blizzard reps did say that Central and Eastern were on the same machine and Mountain and Pacific were both on the same machine, but a different machine than Central and Eastern.
Intolerant monkey.
Tal,Nov 20 2004, 06:37 AM Wrote:I'm Eastern as well but we may have more luck getting everyone on to Central. Eastern was always pretty full during Open.
[right][snapback]60575[/snapback][/right]

Actually, if people are going to go anywhere, I would suggest all Eastern people seriously think about not going there. During peak hours, the lag is going to be higher, as such, you want to move westward so as Lag is starting to creep up, you will be looking at going to bed. Also, Mountain time tended to be the least populated of the server zones during Open, likewise, it will mean that Peak will start 2 hours later for those in Eastern time.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Nov 20 2004, 03:50 PM Wrote:Actually, if people are going to go anywhere, I would suggest all Eastern people seriously think about not going there.  During peak hours, the lag is going to be higher, as such, you want to move westward so as Lag is starting to creep up, you will be looking at going to bed.  Also, Mountain time tended to be the least populated of the server zones during Open, likewise, it will mean that Peak will start 2 hours later for those in Eastern time.
[right][snapback]60597[/snapback][/right]
From my old Diablo II experiences, I remember finding that USWest was more stable and faster than USEast. This is despite me living in Pennsylvania.

If the Open Beta is any indicator, the east servers have a hard time handling the load. I would imagine the west servers will do better (plus, Blizzard has traditionally seemed to favor the West servers - geography bias?).

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Nov 21 2004, 02:36 AM Wrote:If the Open Beta is any indicator, the east servers have a hard time handling the load.  I would imagine the west servers will do better (plus, Blizzard has traditionally seemed to favor the West servers - geography bias?).

You do have to keep in mind, however, that the East servers were carrying a much heavier load than the others, due to the large number of Europeans looking for the closest time-zone. That shouldn't be a factor for release.
Skandranon,Nov 21 2004, 07:04 AM Wrote:You do have to keep in mind, however, that the East servers were carrying a much heavier load than the others, due to the large number of Europeans looking for the closest time-zone.  That shouldn't be a factor for release.
[right][snapback]60633[/snapback][/right]

Agreed.
In my experience there were a lot more Europeans on eastern/central than mountain/western, I talked to about forty on eastern and can't really remember any on the others. And if there are 40 times more Europeans on Eastern than on Mountain... ;) :lol: . Seriously again, mountain time server appeared a lot less laggier for me than the east /central ones, even though I live in Europe. Both server populations were "high", IIRC.

Now, I don't know how many Europeans will buy the game now to play on US servers but the number should be significantly lower than during the Beta IMHO.

Damn, I really want to play WoW now...
Maybe I'll write up my noob experience from 3 days of playing to take my mind off WoW. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea... ::mumbling::

Greetings

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
NuurAbSaal,Nov 21 2004, 09:03 AM Wrote:Now, I don't know how many Europeans will buy the game now to play on US servers but the number should be significantly lower than during the Beta IMHO.

[right][snapback]60664[/snapback][/right]
It's not just buying a US version that allows them to play on US servers - they have to have a US billing address in order to play on the US servers.
Intolerant monkey.
Interesting. I was just expecting Pacific to be the favorite, but that's probably home town bias. Most of the members of several of the more elite guilds I talked to were talking about going Central with a few others going Pacific. It was mentioned that the Central and Eastern servers are hosted at the same site and on the same machines, so there's no connection difference between the two.
Treesh,Nov 21 2004, 07:09 PM Wrote:It's not just buying a US version that allows them to play on US servers - they have to have a US billing address in order to play on the US servers.
[right][snapback]60671[/snapback][/right]

Excuse me for wondering but what is all this talk about a billing *address* all the time? I thought most people today would use credit cards of some form, there is no address needed for that. Or are one supposed to have a bill sent home manually? That seems awefully strange.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Nov 22 2004, 01:26 AM Wrote:Excuse me for wondering but what is all this talk about a billing *address* all the time? I thought most people today would use credit cards of some form, there is no address needed for that. Or are one supposed to have a bill sent home manually? That seems awefully strange.
[right][snapback]60718[/snapback][/right]

When you run a credit card authorization, it also checks the zip code for the address you input as your 'billing address' against the billing address on file with the credit card company. No actual bill is sent there, but the address is used a sort of confirmation of identity.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Roane,Nov 22 2004, 03:53 AM Wrote:When you run a credit card authorization, it also checks the zip code for the address you input as your 'billing address' against the billing address on file with the credit card company.&nbsp; No actual bill is sent there, but the address is used a sort of confirmation of identity.
[right][snapback]60733[/snapback][/right]

But the credit card is not the only form of payment that they will take. They are also using Pay Pal and pre-paid game cards. Just before the end of beta, one of the Blizzard reps had to post that they had been in error and the the pre-paid game cards did not require that the user also provide a credit card number when using that method of payment. So unless there is a strongly enforced method of limiting the pre-paid game cards to only being purchased in the initial launch regions of North America, Australia and New Zealand; then it will be possible for europeans to pay for the subscription on the US servers. It might end up being a bit of a hassle to get those cards but not necessarily immpossible.