Server Names Hidden Until Release
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...mp=1#post713851

Quote:As it stands, we are not going to release the server list prior to release. I'd like to explain the reasoning behind this decision, as I know many of you have been curious about this for some time.

We have numerous realms ready to go when we launch. Not all of them will be available when the game first launches, however. If we gave the full list, many guilds would pick servers that may well be unavailable when they go to play the game. If we released the servers that we know will be available when the game launches, servers that come up days or mere hours later would be largely ignored, as most large groups would zero in on the servers they know will be there. Add this to the fact that most people, when presented with a list ahead of time, will focus on the "cool" names (which would you rather play on: Rabbit, or Doomguard?) and we would have many realms be neglected.

I apologize, as I know this makes it difficult for some guilds to meet up right off. As resourceful as you all are, however, I have no doubt you'll land on your feet. This is the best way to ensure comparable numbers across the available realms.

Someone should come up with a scheme for picking the servers, if we all want to meet together. Also, coordinate with the Basin crowd...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Before they announced the server names (or the existence of an RP server) for EQ2, the EQ2 RP community had a plan that was something like this:

Pick the first server in the list that begins with letter (X). If there is no server with a name beginning with (X), then choose the first one that starts with (Y). If not that, then pick the seventh server in the list.

That's not it exactly, but you get the gist. We could probably work out something similar... perhaps the first PvE server that begins with a certain letter, or the third one (alphabetically, as the order may change on load) in the eastern time zone, etc.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Roane,Nov 19 2004, 08:29 AM Wrote:Before they announced the server names (or the existence of an RP server) for EQ2, the EQ2 RP community had a plan that was something like this:

Pick the first server in the list that begins with letter (X).&nbsp; If there is no server with a name beginning with (X), then choose the first one that starts with (Y).&nbsp; If not that, then pick the seventh server in the list.

That's not it exactly, but you get the gist.&nbsp; We could probably work out something similar... perhaps the first PvE server that begins with a certain letter, or the third one (alphabetically, as the order may change on load) in the eastern time zone, etc.
[right][snapback]60512[/snapback][/right]

Also, you can choose a simple plan like this:

Whichever server of the right type is listed first on the server list (or last), thats the one! =) Granted, other people might have that idea too, so you could maybe choose second from top or something.
lemekim,Nov 19 2004, 01:42 PM Wrote:Whichever server of the right type is listed first on the server list (or last), thats the one! =) Granted, other people might have that idea too, so you could maybe choose second from top or something.
[right][snapback]60529[/snapback][/right]

But what if others plan on the first being crowded but all pick the second, when in reality the first was the better over the second; but what about the third? Too many people may find the answer the first or second debocle, and choose the third, in which case one or two may be better than three. Four may be even better than the third or first, but maybe not the second, if some one chooses due to an affinity for even numbers...

Sigh.

Never underestimate over thinking. :P

Cheers,

Munk
Sometimes server lists are sorted by population, or when they were brought up, or whatever other thing. This is why I said to choose the second or third or whatever alphabetically, etc. Even if the server list changes based on things like that, the second one alphabetically will always be just that.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I have the solution: Pick the server with the "un-coolest" name! :P
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Nov 19 2004, 04:35 PM Wrote:I have the solution: Pick the server with the "un-coolest" name! :P
[right][snapback]60536[/snapback][/right]

"Ghey Carebears" for teh win! ;)
Roane,Nov 19 2004, 04:29 AM Wrote:Before they announced the server names (or the existence of an RP server) for EQ2, the EQ2 RP community had a plan that was something like this:

Pick the first server in the list that begins with letter (X).&nbsp; If there is no server with a name beginning with (X), then choose the first one that starts with (Y).&nbsp; If not that, then pick the seventh server in the list.

That's not it exactly, but you get the gist.&nbsp; We could probably work out something similar... perhaps the first PvE server that begins with a certain letter, or the third one (alphabetically, as the order may change on load) in the eastern time zone, etc.
[right][snapback]60512[/snapback][/right]

I like this idea.

Are you joining us (the Loungers in general, not the PvP vs PvE stuff. ;)) in Retail Bolty?
Bolty,Nov 18 2004, 04:20 PM Wrote:http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...mp=1#post713851
Someone should come up with a scheme for picking the servers, if we all want to meet together.&nbsp; Also, coordinate with the Basin crowd...

-Bolty
[right][snapback]60482[/snapback][/right]

I'd suggest everyone hold off till Tuesday night or even Wednesday before choosing a server. The initial servers are going to be packed to the gills and Blizzard has said they will bring up servers as needed. The longer we wait in the day to see how things pan out, the more likely we are to get a server that has a lower population and thus lower lag potential.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Tal,Nov 19 2004, 03:58 PM Wrote:I like this idea.

Are you joining us (the Loungers in general, not the PvP vs PvE stuff. ;)) in Retail Bolty?
[right][snapback]60538[/snapback][/right]

He's already stated he won't be there for release. A few months down the road? *shrug* Anyone's guess.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Hello all,

This probably doesn't need to be requested, but what the heck. Being the college student that I am I will be heading home for Thanksgiving and my good old computer will be staying in my apartment up at school. This means that the earliest I might be joining in the fun is Saturday. (I still haven't decided 100% that I want to take the plunge into subscription gaming with no money...) It might seem obvious and would have probably happened anyway, but if people can post what Timezone/Servers they are connecting to in one clear thread it will help the (moslty) lurkers among us keep on top of what is going on. With that advantage it should be easy for me to pick a server to join up with you fine folk.

I played a bunch during the open beta and really liked what I saw. The one thing I didn't get to try too much was partying as there were only a few other lurkers on when I was playing and we weren't often trying to complete similar tasks. I personally was trying to run through as much as I could to get a feel for the game. It would be great to know where to go to hook up with lurkers when this goes retail so I can try various things like the elite quests.

Anyway, enough of my babbling, back into lurker mode for me. I look forward to seeing many of you online provided I can stomach the price.

- mjdoom (I was playing in the open beta under the name Arynwindborn for the few of you that I talked to)
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
mjdoom,Nov 20 2004, 01:41 AM Wrote:Hello all,

&nbsp; &nbsp; This probably doesn't need to be requested, but what the heck.&nbsp; Being the college student that I am I will be heading home for Thanksgiving and my good old computer will be staying in my apartment up at school.&nbsp; This means that the earliest I might be joining in the fun is Saturday. (I still haven't decided 100% that I want to take the plunge into subscription gaming with no money...)&nbsp; It might seem obvious and would have probably happened anyway, but if people can post what Timezone/Servers they are connecting to in one clear thread it will help the (moslty) lurkers among us keep on top of what is going on.&nbsp; With that advantage it should be easy for me to pick a server to join up with you fine folk.

[right][snapback]60558[/snapback][/right]

I'll be getting with Lissa and trying to come up with a way to co-ordinate what server for PvE we'll be on. We also have to co-ordinate with the Basin crowd on what choice they're going with.
Tal,Nov 20 2004, 08:36 AM Wrote:I'll be getting with Lissa and trying to come up with a way to co-ordinate what server for PvE we'll be on. We also have to co-ordinate with the Basin crowd on what choice they're going with.
[right][snapback]60574[/snapback][/right]
Perhaps the easiest way is to just go with whatever method the Basin comes up with, since they have more players than we do, and nobody here seems to be taking command.

And no, I will not be playing on release. When Blizzard demonstrates to me that the game is ready, I might buy in then. As I mentioned in my server type post, it's hard to make a decision on what server type to pick when so much is still unimplemented.

That being said, Blizzard has come forward saying that users can create up to 50(!!!) characters across all the servers. Thus, I would greatly appreciate it if someone can reserve the character names Bolty, Boltie, and Boltress by grabbing them up on our servers of choice (PvP, PvE, and RP) before they are taken by some random wanker. The name Bolty tends to go very quickly. If I can't have a character by my namesake, I'd be pretty put out.

Other names I use are too obscure to be taken if I arrive late.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Nov 20 2004, 11:11 AM Wrote:Perhaps the easiest way is to just go with whatever method the Basin comes up with, since they have more players than we do, and nobody here seems to be taking command.

If this is the case could the decisions be echoed back here for those of us who do not frequent the AB. Thanks a lot.

- mjdoom
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
mjdoom,Nov 20 2004, 12:26 PM Wrote:If this is the case could the decisions be echoed back here for those of us who do not frequent the AB.&nbsp; Thanks a lot.

- mjdoom
[right][snapback]60584[/snapback][/right]

Once a decision has been made it will be communicated here. =)
Tal,Nov 20 2004, 06:56 PM Wrote:Once a decision has been made it will be communicated here. =)
[right][snapback]60589[/snapback][/right]

Has the Basin and the Lounge chosen to play on a specific faction, or will it have players in both?
Bolty,Nov 20 2004, 12:11 PM Wrote:Perhaps the easiest way is to just go with whatever method the Basin comes up with, since they have more players than we do, and nobody here seems to be taking command.[right][snapback]60581[/snapback][/right]

I'm emailing ReptileHouse and Cathan about where they are planning on going.

Bolty,Nov 20 2004, 12:11 PM Wrote:That being said, Blizzard has come forward saying that users can create up to 50(!!!) characters across all the servers.&nbsp; Thus, I would greatly appreciate it if someone can reserve the character names Bolty, Boltie, and Boltress by grabbing them up on our servers of choice (PvP, PvE, and RP) before they are taken by some random wanker.&nbsp; The name Bolty tends to go very quickly.&nbsp; If I can't have a character by my namesake, I'd be pretty put out.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]60581[/snapback][/right]

I can make them on the PvE server when I start up on Tuesday.
Valamyr,Nov 20 2004, 11:59 AM Wrote:Has the Basin and the Lounge chosen to play on a specific faction, or will it have players in both?
[right][snapback]60590[/snapback][/right]

I will likely be both. I know others are interested, like I, in playing characters from both factions (plans for me right now are NE Priest, NE Hunter, Human Pally, Human Warlock, Undead Mage, Tauren Shaman, Troll Rogue, and Orc Warrior).

I also have a few friends that I use to work with that I stay in touch with that will be playing as well. I'm gonna let them know where we end up.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Nov 20 2004, 04:46 PM Wrote:I will likely be both.&nbsp; [right][snapback]60596[/snapback][/right]

I'll be both as well.
Tal,Nov 20 2004, 02:01 PM Wrote:I'm emailing ReptileHouse and Cathan about where they are planning on going.
I can make them on the PvE server when I start up on Tuesday.
[right][snapback]60591[/snapback][/right]
What, you have 47 other characters you want to play right away, so you don't have room to make 3 on any other servers? :)

-Bolty