Speaking of Teams
Disclaimer: This Variant owes an inspirational debt to the ABC TV network, Eagles wide receiver Terrel Owens, and a promotion for the new prime time ho-drama Desperate Housewives. A sneer is cast to the Drama Queens at the NFL front offices, and elsewhere, who responded to what was at worst an exercise in bad taste, and more a reflection of the groupie syndrome endemic to professional sports. Given the character portrayed by the actress involved, TO's well advertised (via ESPN/ other network locker room interviews) beefcake credentials, and the universal TV Network theme "libido as THE driving force in the universe" . . . why all the fuss? What did the NFL expect?

Add my penchant for being politically incorrect, and the result is

Mandingo and The Underground Railroad

This is meant to be played as a Team. Could be tough solo. Might best be done HC. My experiences with an EEP Paladin showed me how hard it is to keep that wench alive, thanks to the air head element of rogue AI.

Framework: Team pure, team play, closed team concept. No twinks, no trades other than within the team. You just can't trust anyone else . . .

Premise

After the most recent garbage detail, cleaning out the Grave Yard, "enough is enough" decides Mandingo. The time is now for leaving the drudgery of the Plantation, which is run by the slave drivers Kashya and Warriv. One of the young Ladies of the House has been eyeing the handsome laborer, with suppressed libido, ever since he arrived from the slave markets of Westmarch. She succumbs to temptation after the death of her rival Blood Raven -- who was a catty b***h anyway, what with her nicer dresses and exotic hats on display at all of the cotillions.

Time to hit the road, just in time to stop a lynching in Tristram . . . only to discover that Cain is High Yellow and in league with The Man!

The two lovers travel from town to town, only to find betrayal and discrimination dogging their footsteps. They party up with likeminded couples who dream of escaping the stifling social restrictions to their torrid love. (A TFOS to approximate the Ripped Bodice would be nice.) Thus begins the cliche escape from the Plantation by a slave, accompanied by the jaded and lusty lady of the house.

**Sound of bodice ripping**

Mandingo and "the Mistress" are pursued by the Hounds of Hell, the Law, the enraged Plantation owner, Colonel Sanders, Elvis, David Duke, Paul Tagliabue, or whoever fits the Harlequin Romance cliche of "illicit love" in the ante bellum South, or last week in the NFL!

Cover Story and Goal

The Lady is travelling with her personal body servant (double entendre intended). Her superior combat power demonstrates who is in charge. Once "free" in the North, where Baal the Slave Master is finally defeated and a door to "a new world is opened," the couple can live in freedom and love happily ever after, etc ad nauseum.

Paladins/Runaway Slaves serve the mistress dutifully, for which they expect (dream of?) ample romantic reward.

Neurotic relationships for fifty, Alex?

The Kicker

If the Lady dies, it is over. No love, no cover for the runaway. If Mandingo dies . . . she commits suicide, as she knows she can't ever go home.

Options:

1. The Act Ending Battles are out of whack in re damage done to servants. In this option, the "I am not dead yet" dodge is allowed for the aftermath of Andariel, Duriel, Meph, Diablo, Baal. It takes a team to pull this off and Three Dot, in my estimation. That, and a decent connection to bnet. Ancients may also be waiverable, given the holiness of that mountain . . . otherwise, Do Not Let Your Ladylove/Mealticket die. Oh yeah, and don't die yourself: you want to die a free man!

2. Do it as a Live Off The Land style game. Upon the death of Blood Raven and Cain's subsequent rescue, you can only go to town to extinguish the exclamation points. At all other times, you can't go to town. You are on the run, on the Underground Railroad, and on your way to the next town.

3. If not opting for 2, you can always go to town and mess with your stash if you have a WP, TP scroll, and want to re organize you kit. No littering the town with items, that allows the Law to track you. Cleanup after yourself, cover your tracks.

How it works.

A paladin, and his dearly beloved rogue, with 1-7 like minded couples.

After the first dot, you start over again with no wench in the next Difficulty level. You earn her admiration by reaching the "enough is enough" point in the Grave yard.

Aura Focus.

The team combines auras to serve their Mistresses. General priority:

Defiance, Vigor, Might, Concentration, Fanaticism, Conviction, a resistance, Sanctuary, Holy Freeze. (Need to get used to the Frozen North as you travel North.)

Vigor must have at least one point, since
i) you are on the run and
ii) you are fast. (T.O. is fast, and a nod to the list of Gold Medal Olympic Sprinters since Jesse Owens, not to mention the recent dominance Kenyan marathon runners!)

Healing skills need careful consideration.

How the team mixes skills to be decided on a team by team basis, since smaller teams need different mixes than larger teams.

Armor Restricitons

None. Whatever you find or gamble is yours to keep until it wears out.

Weapons Restrictions.

Rogues use bows. That was the easy part. The rest is more non-PC.

Mandingo the Paladin has Javelin in Weapon Tab I. Missile, or melee, or both, his choice. A shield is allowed, but it must be round.

Weapon Tab II:

Clubs, axes, hammers, machetes/falchions, knives, sledge hammers (mauls), pitchforks (tridents) and scythes of any sort are allowed. These are farm implements most familiar to them. No Swords. No Maces. No bows. No spears/pikes. No Wands. No throwing potions. No Sceptres. No throwing knives.

Interaction with townsfolk:

When an exclamation mark is over the NPC's head. Otherwise, townsfolks will turn the runaways into The Man.

Exception.

1. (Optional) To gamble once beyond the initial exclamation point rule opportunity. The gambling NPC, the criminal element, is the only fence and the contact for the Underground Railroad. Also, the gambler is the Fence for selling stolen/found items.

2. In Act IV, you can talk to any NPC other than Cain. Angels are OK for any lovers true of heart. Halbu and Jamella are sympathetic. During this act, Gambling and selling to the fence is unlimited.

2a. Optional: Ormus is sympathetic, and can be a fence and potioneer. This might make Act III a bit too easy, sugest against.

3. Nihlathak is an albino who cannot be trusted, as he has made a deal with The Man. He MUST be killed in all three difficulties, and cannot be spoken to after the initial exclamation point is sorted out. You NEVER gamble with him, since he cheats.

4. You can't go back to previous towns. You are on the run, heading north.

5. Repair. Via Horadric Cube, other wise . . . only on such occasions as the blacksmith can be spoken to under "exclamation point" rule.

5. Items. Anything gambled on authorized visits to the den of iniquity, or found. Fencing stuff for cash to gamble with is authorized on visits to the Fence.

6. Potions. Only Jamella may sell you potions, except under the exclamation point rule, or the Option for Ormus.

7. Imbues are all authorized, though you can expect to be cheated! Charsi must die!

No skill restrictions. Whatever it takes to keep her alive, you do it!

I offer this Team idea for your amusement.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Moderately racially offensive, but eh, it does reflect those times. Does sound like a good concept, as long as one has the repair recipes memorised. Anybody else interested? I would think a little prayer/meditation might be in order, but that's just my taste. Also, the entire set-up of skills just screams "CHARGE!" to me. :) Would be pretty fun to watch a mass of escapees running at the man with machetes/scythes(ooh, if only these were D&D 3rd Ed Scythes) raised(sorry, I just finished re-reading Scandal of Falconhurst)
AtomicKitKat,Nov 20 2004, 10:37 PM Wrote:Moderately racially offensive, but eh, it does reflect those times. Does sound like a good concept, as long as one has the repair recipes memorised. Anybody else interested? I would think a little prayer/meditation might be in order, but that's just my taste. Also, the entire set-up of skills just screams "CHARGE!" to me. :) Would be pretty fun to watch a mass of escapees running at the man with machetes/scythes(ooh, if only these were D&D 3rd Ed Scythes) raised(sorry, I just finished re-reading Scandal of Falconhurst)
[right][snapback]60630[/snapback][/right]

When I was a teenager, there was a movie released called "Mandingo" that dealt directly with the "plantation dame" "handsome young slave" romance/taboo/shibboleth/fantasy. Part of the old "shock value" and it got plenty of buzz.

It was a big to do, and IIRC stemmed from a Harlequin Romance type of book. I could have sworn Mae West was in it. Will check Google.

Ken Norton was indeed Mandingo, as in Ken Norton the heavyweight boxer.

Hmm, here is one on line review from timeout .com on the 1975 film, which included James Mason as the slightly whack Plantation owner.

Quote:The tedious, emasculated stereotype of the Deep South circa 1840, with its stoical slaves and demure southern belles, is effectively exploded here. Fleischer utilises the real sexuality and violence behind slavery to mount a compelling slice of American Gothic which analyses, in appropriately lurid terms, the twists and turns of a distorted society. The plot (from a novel by Kyle Onstott) explores the declining years of a slave-breeding family, whose slaves are treated not so much like animals as humanoids: their physical intimacy with the master-race is total. Finally it is the sheer absurdity and incongruity of the various women's roles in this crazy set-up which cracks the society wide open. The story is basically Victorian melodrama with more than an echo of the Brontes, but it is acted with enormous gusto, by Perry King especially; and Richard Kline's highly atmospheric pictorialisation of the Falconhurst domain adds a great deal. Good to see Fleischer returning to the kind of psycho-pathological thriller that he can handle so well. DP

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:and Richard Kline's highly atmospheric pictorialisation of the Falconhurst domain adds a great deal.

Ooh, now I remember, Mandingo was part of that same series of books! :D