Hey! The King's Back!
You can't -- the quest is Alliance only.

And "the blade that the dying Paladin in the catacombs sends you for" is the Ashbringer.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:You can't -- the quest is Alliance only.

And "the blade that the dying Paladin in the catacombs sends you for" is the Ashbringer.

No it's not. It's another relic, but it's not Ashbringer.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:No it's not. It's another relic, but it's not Ashbringer.

Really. Pray explain this, then.

Quote:Cleric of the Crusade says: That will be enough, Irulon.
Cleric of the Crusade removes his disguise.
Lord Irulon Trueblade says: Lord Fordring, you mustn't reveal yourself!
Highlord Tirion Fordring says: The boy's death and, in fact, the deaths of all of the knights involved in the redemption of the blade could have been avoided.
Highlord Tirion Fordring says: Their passing wieghs heavily upon my soul.
Lord Irulon Trueblade says: The path of freeedom has always been beset with tragedy sire. We could not risk losing you. The Order could not have survived such a blow.
Highlord Tirion Fordring says: It should have been me that carried the blade. The burden was mine to bare.
Highlord Tirion Fordring says: But you are right, Irulon. The price of our freedom will undoubtedly cost thousands more of their lives.
Highlord Tirion Fordring yells: Do you hear me Arthas? The Silver Hand comes for you! Your kingdom shall crumble beneath the weight of justice! By the light!
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Really. Pray explain this, then.

Have you played through the DK area? If so, then you would know what happened with the Ashbringer. The actions at Light's Hope dictate that *this* cannot be Ashbringer. And the actions at Light's Hope occur just before the Alliance and Horde launch their assault on Northrend. Either Blizzard's quest designers and story line people didn't communicate properly or the blade in question *cannot* be Ashbringer.

(and yes, I'm being somewhat vague for those people that have not played a DK as yet so they can see what happens at Light's Hope.)
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote: Either Blizzard's quest designers and story line people didn't communicate properly or the blade in question *cannot* be Ashbringer.

(and yes, I'm being somewhat vague for those people that have not played a DK as yet so they can see what happens at Light's Hope.)

Considering their past track record and that both of the quest lines that you listed would have had to be worked on concurrently for the expansion; I agree with Alliera that does appear to be intended to represent Ashbringer. The quest text in the first step of the chain makes it an even stronger case that they are in fact talking of the sword being Ashbringer.

And I have played through the Death Knight start up and there are a number of disconnects with the event that take place there and what you finally run into in Northrend. Following some of the games side line lore (various books, diaries and other trash nick-nacks that drop from mobs or part of quest line hand ins), there is a major time jump of many months from the last DK quest and when player are portrayed in arriving in Northrend. The best example of this is the two versions of "The Path of Redemption" that is for quests in DK starting area (7 pages long) and the Dragonblight version (24 pages long). Those extra pages give insight to what transpired from the time of the DK starting quest line and player coming to deal with the Scarlet Onslaught upon arriving in Northrend.
DK(7):http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39654#comments
DB(24):http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37931#comments

edit 01/01/09: Having just played through the quests in that area again on another toon, there is an emote from the action script that happens after the quest hand in. emote: "Highlord Tirion Fordring picks up the Ashbringer." That is pretty blatant as to what the artifact was that you were recovering.
Quote:Have you played through the DK area? If so, then you would know what happened with the Ashbringer. The actions at Light's Hope dictate that *this* cannot be Ashbringer. And the actions at Light's Hope occur just before the Alliance and Horde launch their assault on Northrend. Either Blizzard's quest designers and story line people didn't communicate properly or the blade in question *cannot* be Ashbringer.

Tirion <span style="color:#32270e">cleanses Ashbringer at Light's Hope Chapel and uses it against Arthas (spoilers masked). That's the ONLY Ashbringer-related lore during the DK quest. As long as Tirion sent someone else to take Ashbringer to Northrend (as the text I quoted heavily implies), there's absolutely no reason why that blade cannot be Ashbringer.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say it doesn't make sense UNLESS it is the Ashbringer they are talking about.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
I always thought the story in those 2 quests went something like this:

First, Tirion gets back the Ashbringer as per the dK questline. However, the Argent Crusade, knowing the dangers of Arthas finding out about Tirion and the Ashbringer traveling to Northrend, makes Tirion travel incognito (as how we see him in Valgarde) and the Ashbringer transported in another boat, which ends up being captured by the Vrykul.
Raz
Quote:I always thought the story in those 2 quests went something like this:

First, Tirion gets back the Ashbringer as per the dK questline. However, the Argent Crusade, knowing the dangers of Arthas finding out about Tirion and the Ashbringer traveling to Northrend, makes Tirion travel incognito (as how we see him in Valgarde) and the Ashbringer transported in another boat, which ends up being captured by the Vrykul.

Sending the Ashbringer seperately doesn't seem the brightest possible move by the AC. Given the discussions about the sword in LHC it's clear the AC knows the sword is useless without the correct wielder so it should have been sent with one that can use it otherwise both the sword and wielder are more vulnerable as they travel and the chance of getting both successfully to Northrend is lower.

On the other hand, players wouldn't get that bit of the story if they'd been sensible. We've been accepting stupidity-for-game-reasons since we first came across those pirates that still stand around their boat in small groups even after their first mate yelled a warning.