Halo 2
Fantastic game. Lived up to the hype... and more in my mind. The story was, by far, the crowning jewel this time around however. Which is amazing because the game mechanics were what made the original Halo great, and they actually vastly improved for the sequel. It was wonderfully written, had great voice acting, and was perhaps the most imaginative and epic story telling since PS:T. I started the game hoping for great Halo-style combat (the original's story was serviceable, but nothing fantastically great) and ended it eager to continue the storyline along. The story was just that good.

The updated vehicles were all distinct and fun to fight in/against (the scorpion tank is perhaps even more overpowered now in multiplayer) and the new "hijack" technique has provided for some fun moments. The levels all had their own distinct flair and were never boring or too frustrating. Running through city streets with a giant robotic walker overhead, battling your way through huge four-way battles, Banshee dogfights in a huge swirling storm, and so on. Every environment was a joy to battle through.

Perhaps my only complaint is the way the game ends. Without spoiling anything, the game basically ends without truly resolving the main conflict of the story. It was like walking into the Fellowship of the Ring without anyone telling you there were two more movies after it, or seeing Matrix Reloaded thinking it would end the Matrix saga. I litterally put down the controller, laid back waiting to enjoy the between-level cinematics (on a side note, most levels have at 2-3 extremely well-done mid-level cinematic cut scenes and the ingame chatter flows well and adds quite a bit to the game), and was treated to the credits instead. It was abrupt and unexpected, to say the least.

But that is neither here nor there I suppose. We all figured there would be a Halo 3 anyway considering how well both games have sold. I just wish they didn't leave me hanging like that <_<
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Nov 16 2004, 09:46 PM Wrote:But that is neither here nor there I suppose. We all figured there would be a Halo 3 anyway considering how well both games have sold. I just wish they didn't leave me hanging like that <_<
[right][snapback]60337[/snapback][/right]

Ah, that old ploy. Now comes the few years of waiting, company mergers, delays, cancelations, internet gossip, computer upgrades to play HL3, and deciding whether to preorder or rush to the store on release day. ;)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I agree with you on basically every point you just made. I just finished the single-player campaign last night and I loved every minute of it. There were a few places where I had a little difficulty getting through and had to do a bit of the "wash, rinse, die, repeat" thing, but never to the point of true gaming frustration.

On a side note, you and I must be on similar schedules, Mithrandir. I picked this game up at 12:45 am on November 9th and wondered when someone would post about it here on the Lounge. I was going to start a post today. :P

I think the level design greatly improved in the single player. The atmosphere in each area is just as great as in the first Halo (if not better), and it changes more often between levels. There are more new areas throughout the game that have their own distinct feel. The gameplay is very similar between the two, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because it was great in the first Halo, but I can see myself getting tired of the single player missions a bit more quickly now. But I'm sure I'll run through them quite a few more times if only just to see the cinematics again (especially after I replace my Xbox's DVD drive so that the movies don't skip :angry: stupid shoddy hardware... grumble grumble Microsoft...)

As far as the cliffhanger ending goes, I was also sitting and waiting for the next level to load at the end. I went to bed feeling somewhat unfulfilled, like I didn't really accomplish anything significant yet. And the worst part is, you know it's going to be another year or two or three until Halo 3 arrives... But thanks to Xbox Live, I'm sure I'll stay busy until then. Although, again I'll be able to enjoy that more fully once I get my drive replaced so I can stop getting the "failed to load map" error.

Anyway... All in all, Halo 2 is a beautiful game and I rate it a "Must Have" for any Xbox owner.

Any Lurkers out there who are on Xbox Live, send me a friends invite! I need more friends to beat up on :ph34r: My gamertag is Copadope. Tell me what your lurker name is in the message text so I know who you are.

--Copadope
Halo 2 is a fantastic game, wonderful replay value in the campaign and multiplayer. Not only does it have the great game mechanics of the last game, but it adds to it wonderfully. But anyway, you've already sung it's praises. There are minor graphical glitches that have some people down, but those are really nit-picky (namely, the bump-map texturing "popping" up on the models during the cut scenes). Kudos to Bungie for having fixed some bugs within a week of release (HDTV clipping bug, matchmaking speed issues, and dirty-disk errors).

The multiplayer is definitely where it's at. Not only is it easy to get into, it's fun, fast paced, and lag-free. I have yet to play in a game with any form of lag at all. I played a game today with a bunch of guys all at my house (a friend brought his Xbox over too, for a total of three Xbox Live Enabled Xboxes); three guys on one xbox, two on mine, and two on my brother's, and we went on Live for some fun. We all used the same bandwidth and there was not even a hiccup.

As far as Xbox Live games go, this is the best one I've ever played. Counter-strike, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 3, and Battlefront, to name a few, are all good shooters, but Halo 2 is clearly the best online Xbox shooter ever. Everyone I know on Xbox live is playing it, without exception, and it's super easy to find an arranged game or ranked game.

Want to have a frustrating time while playing Halo 2? Try Legendary mode alone. I can't even beat the first level. Damn, that's tough.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I find it interesting you have this take on it Mithrandir. Most of the reviews have been along the lines of the first Halo's reception: namely, great multiplayer, but weak, repetitive campaign play as well as a mediocre story.

Tycho's take on it, from Penny Arcade.

Gabe, bottom of page, references the story

I don't think swearing and kicking over a chair is a compliment to the story aspect of the Halo series. :-)

Seriously though, I have been a Bungie fan since before you guys using PCs could play their games. Yes, I am talking about their marathon series here. I am sad to say that their ability has dropped off since their acquisition by Microsoft. Not that I won't play H2, but just that I'll wait until it hits the Mac platform (estimate around 2 years).

I am glad you enjoy it though. I guess once I taste perfection (linked above), there is no going back.
Out here,
--Ajax
I'll have to wait for PA's review before truly knowing what they disliked so much about the single player story, but I am quite baffled as to what someone could hate so strongly about it. In my view, it was a well-written, very epic, and had lots of twists and turns.

Also, repetitive gameplay in an FPS? What FPS's have they been playing? Hell, most FPS's don't even make a half-hearted *attempt* to have any semblance of a singleplayer storyline that makes sense. Gamespy and IGN both had many compliments for the game's storyline.

I even Googled looking for bad reviews for Halo 2 and was only able to find a minimal number of disgruntled "this game is teh sux" user reviews at Half.com.

The only complaints I really had for the game were:
1) Bump mapping takes a second or two to kick in during the cut scenes for some reason. This is quite odd - I have no idea how this is still in the game.
2) Energy Sword is quite overpowered on small to medium maps in multiplayer. There's a reason everyone either immediately high tails it to the sword or the Overshield on the level at the beginning of each game. I once cleared an entire room out... twice... with just a few button presses with the Energy Sword, which was just retarded. So I just dropped it and killed people who kept running and trying to grab it for the rest of the time with more conventional (and actually fun) weapons :)

Anyhoo, different strokes for different folks I s'pose.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Halo is overrated. It's as simple as that. I've played the entire campaign (via my roomie's Xbox and copy), and Half-Life 2 blows it away in every aspect, including voice acting. And have you SEEN the voice-syncing in HL2!? It was hard enough to get over it in the trailers, but it's even freakier seeing it in real-time :)

As for multiplay, the Unreal Tournament series is better in every way - I'll take a good ole Flak Cannon over some stupid little dual-wielding feature (the only worthwhile combo is the Plasma Pistol and SMG, anyway - everyone knows a Shotgun or good Swordsman will dominate) any day, and I just have a near irrepressable urge to reach out and smack every single OMG LAN PARTIES!!!!111 Halo 2 fanatic with a big stick of "BEEN THERE DONE THAT!" Yes, I know that was lame, but I am tired and I am cranky.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Nov 21 2004, 10:20 PM Wrote:Halo is overrated.&nbsp; It's as simple as that.&nbsp; I've played the entire campaign (via my roomie's Xbox and copy), and Half-Life 2 blows it away in every aspect, including voice acting.&nbsp; And have you SEEN the voice-syncing in HL2!?&nbsp; It was hard enough to get over it in the trailers, but it's even freakier seeing it in real-time :)

As for multiplay, the Unreal Tournament series is better in every way - I'll take a good ole Flak Cannon over some stupid little dual-wielding feature (the only worthwhile combo is the Plasma Pistol and SMG, anyway - everyone knows a Shotgun or good Swordsman will dominate) any day, and I just have a near irrepressable urge to reach out and smack every single OMG LAN PARTIES!!!!111 Halo 2 fanatic with a big stick of "BEEN THERE DONE THAT!"&nbsp; Yes, I know that was lame, but I am tired and I am cranky.
[right][snapback]60717[/snapback][/right]

Lmao, I was good with a single pistol in Halo, now I can have two in 2. Everyone scoffed at my little guns at the twelve man party I hit up a couple days after release.

Then I won a FFA match with a 30 point lead (it was to 50).

Shotguns and swords are fun, but a hail of magnum rounds humbles even the mightiest Joe-with-a-Boomstick.

Edit:

I don't like how they balanced the two-weapon bit, though. All the weapons that can be dual-wielded are now pretty crappy on their own.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Mithrandir,Nov 17 2004, 12:46 AM Wrote:Fantastic game. ... It was wonderfully written, had great voice acting, and was perhaps the most imaginative and epic story telling since PS:T.

Wait, what? Can you seriously have just compared Halo 2's story with the greatest story ever in a game? Halo 2 has the best story I've seen in an FPS, yes. But I never touched the Half Life series, and gave up quickly on other 'hybrid' style FPSs. Getting 'Best Story' in the FPS category is like winning a Division III football game. You get 5 minute sound bytes in between the levels that are filler in between fights. Good filler, yes, but you can't possibly tell me that a game where 5% of the time is spent listening to story, none of it interactive at all, compares to anything non-FPS.

Quote:Perhaps my only complaint is the way the game ends. Without spoiling anything, the game basically ends without truly resolving the main conflict of the story. It was like walking into the Fellowship of the Ring without anyone telling you there were two more movies after it, or seeing Matrix Reloaded thinking it would end the Matrix saga. I litterally put down the controller, laid back waiting to enjoy the between-level cinematics (on a side note, most levels have at 2-3 extremely well-done mid-level cinematic cut scenes and the ingame chatter flows well and adds quite a bit to the game), and was treated to the credits instead. It was abrupt and unexpected, to say the least.
Agreed. To me it screams on thing: "We're running out of time, finish it here, finish it here, SHIP SHIP SHIP!"

I'm not trying to subtract to what was a great FPS -> any FPS that I find enjoyable had to be great. It's just that I need to get into more multiplayer to see how that goes out, but I get the feeling I've already gotten the most of my fun out of the game (co-op with roommate). It lasted a whole 15 hours, maybe.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
JustAGuy,Nov 20 2004, 08:35 AM Wrote:Want to have a frustrating time while playing Halo 2? Try Legendary mode alone. I can't even beat the first level. Damn, that's tough.
[right][snapback]60562[/snapback][/right]

Lemme guess: Boarding Craft, Plasma Rifle dual-wielding Killer Elites? Teh ub4r pwnage!

It is A LOT harder to beat alone on legendary than the original and the new no respawn feature in co-op makes it harder for two as well. But damn, this game is fun...

@Artega: If you don't like it, why not leave it at that instead of, ah well, you know, who cares

@Rinnhart: Plasma Pistol + Pistol is THE killer combo against elites and dual magnums just rock, even if die you still "win" because of style points. And aren't they FAST now?! :)

Greetings

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Artega,Nov 21 2004, 09:20 PM Wrote:Halo is overrated.&nbsp; It's as simple as that.&nbsp; I've played the entire campaign (via my roomie's Xbox and copy), and Half-Life 2 blows it away in every aspect, including voice acting.&nbsp; And have you SEEN the voice-syncing in HL2!?&nbsp; It was hard enough to get over it in the trailers, but it's even freakier seeing it in real-time :)

As for multiplay, the Unreal Tournament series is better in every way - I'll take a good ole Flak Cannon over some stupid little dual-wielding feature (the only worthwhile combo is the Plasma Pistol and SMG, anyway - everyone knows a Shotgun or good Swordsman will dominate) any day, and I just have a near irrepressable urge to reach out and smack every single OMG LAN PARTIES!!!!111 Halo 2 fanatic with a big stick of "BEEN THERE DONE THAT!"&nbsp; Yes, I know that was lame, but I am tired and I am cranky.
[right][snapback]60717[/snapback][/right]

*sighs*

Well, on a positive note Artega, this post will make it much easier to squish your oversided Tauren body underneath my Alliance GI plate boots :D (joke)

like someone said, different strokes I guess.
Out here,
--Ajax
Quote:Halo 2 has the best story I've seen in an FPS, yes.

Have you played Deus Ex? Is it that good? If so, or if it's even close, I don't understand the griping.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
NuurAbSaal,Nov 22 2004, 10:13 AM Wrote:Lemme guess: Boarding Craft, Plasma Rifle dual-wielding Killer Elites? Teh ub4r pwnage!

It is A LOT harder to beat alone on legendary than the original and the new no respawn feature in co-op makes it harder for two as well. But damn, this game is fun...

@Artega: If you don't like it, why not leave it at that instead of, ah well, you know, who cares

@Rinnhart: Plasma Pistol + Pistol is THE killer combo against elites and dual magnums just rock, even if die you still "win" because of style points. And aren't they FAST now?! :)

Greetings

Nuur
[right][snapback]60758[/snapback][/right]

Man oh man, I'm up to Regret, playing solo on Legendary. I can beat down elites without a sword, in their face (it takes about 5 or 6 hits) without dying myself. I can tag an elite with a plasma grenade while he's running across the screen, and I'm behind cover. I can kill hunters in two sniper shots without zooming in. Hell, I can dance around Hunters and punch them to death, dodging that "back-swat" that they do. I can snipe snipers before they snipe me (they're 1-and-done type fellas, they rarely miss). Sound like I'm tooting my own horn? I am a bit, but this style of gameplay is required to win at Legendary. My skills are all thanks to Legendary mode's "try, try again" type of gameplay. Co-op heroic was how I learned the levels (got the feel for them anyway) and got a feel for the new mechanics of the game. Solo Legendary is how I've moved from a very good player to an excellent one.

With that said, have you played Regret on Legendary yet? I killed at least 30 Honour guards before dying, on a number of attempts so far. This game is so difficult that beating it will be so incredibly satisfying. There's nothing like rising to a challenge.

And, with that having also been said, playing Legendary does nothing for my online skills. Playing against great A.I., albeit exploitable in certain situations, is no substitute for playing against level 15+ players on Xbox Live.

As far as Legendary goes, I've only got a few more words to say. Carbine + Beam Rifle + Plasma Grenades = All you need. Carbine is a headshooter's dream. Beam Rifle (the covenant sniper rifle) is "teh r0xx0r" when it comes to safely taking out enemies. To hell with the human sniper rifle... Reloading is not where it's at. And yeah, Pistol + Plasma Pistol = pretty sweet as well, especially in multiplayer.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
Chaerophon,Nov 23 2004, 03:57 AM Wrote:Have you played Deus Ex?&nbsp; Is it that good?&nbsp; If so, or if it's even close, I don't understand the griping.
[right][snapback]60927[/snapback][/right]

Forget storyline- nothing beats fleeing from a pair of hunters into a pitched battle just to have your only escape from that battle cut off by another pair of hunters at which point you club an elite, grab his fuel-rod cannon and start hosing down everything in sight.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
I beat legendary! Finally! Wooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo. Tartarus took so long to take down. Not to mention the hordes of brutes, elites, sniper jackals, sentinels and flood before him. I couldn't bear to kill the little grunts that just run around in fear and never shoot though. They were just too cute (and too good a distraction).

Yay! Yes! Yay!!~

Just few notes:

Hunters are taken down by 1 hit by sniper fire (human or covenant beam rifle) to their vulnerable spot.

Some elites aren't always taken down when stuck with a plasma grenade. Some elites just have that much shields. Plasma pistol still works wonders to take those shields down ;)

At range, Plasma pistol --> battle rifle rocks, when getting the jump on elites. :ph34r: Gotta have that zoom!

Swords do more damage with fatal lunge, which requires distance. Back up when using the sword, if possible.

Headshots rock B)
Removed,wrong thread
Mithrandir,Nov 17 2004, 01:46 AM Wrote:Fantastic game. Lived up to the hype... and more in my mind. The story was, by far, the crowning jewel this time around however. Which is amazing because the game mechanics were what made the original Halo great, and they actually vastly improved for the sequel. It was wonderfully written, had great voice acting, and was perhaps the most imaginative and epic story telling since PS:T. I started the game hoping for great Halo-style combat (the original's story was serviceable, but nothing fantastically great) and ended it eager to continue the storyline along. The story was just that good.

The updated vehicles were all distinct and fun to fight in/against (the scorpion tank is perhaps even more overpowered now in multiplayer) and the new "hijack" technique has provided for some fun moments. The levels all had their own distinct flair and were never boring or too frustrating. Running through city streets with a giant robotic walker overhead, battling your way through huge four-way battles, Banshee dogfights in a huge swirling storm, and so on. Every environment was a joy to battle through.

Perhaps my only complaint is the way the game ends. Without spoiling anything, the game basically ends without truly resolving the main conflict of the story. It was like walking into the Fellowship of the Ring without anyone telling you there were two more movies after it, or seeing Matrix Reloaded thinking it would end the Matrix saga. I litterally put down the controller, laid back waiting to enjoy the between-level cinematics (on a side note, most levels have at 2-3 extremely well-done mid-level cinematic cut scenes and the ingame chatter flows well and adds quite a bit to the game), and was treated to the credits instead. It was abrupt and unexpected, to say the least.

But that is neither here nor there I suppose. We all figured there would be a Halo 3 anyway considering how well both games have sold. I just wish they didn't leave me hanging like that <_<
[right][snapback]60337[/snapback][/right]

Yee haw! I beat it too. Finally found the time to finish it -- it probably took me about 20 hours to beat it. A lot of that time was spent replaying some areas just for the hell of it, though, as a lot of scenarios are just a ton of fun to play.

I tell ya, it sure was fun. All the way through.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
JustAGuy,Nov 23 2004, 02:07 PM Wrote:Man oh man, I'm up to Regret, playing solo on Legendary. I can beat down elites without a sword, in their face (it takes about 5 or 6 hits) without dying myself. I can tag an elite with a plasma grenade while he's running across the screen, and I'm behind cover. I can kill hunters in two sniper shots without zooming in. Hell, I can dance around Hunters and punch them to death, dodging that "back-swat" that they do. I can snipe snipers before they snipe me (they're 1-and-done type fellas, they rarely miss). Sound like I'm tooting my own horn? I am a bit, but this style of gameplay is required to win at Legendary. My skills are all thanks to Legendary mode's "try, try again" type of gameplay. Co-op heroic was how I learned the levels (got the feel for them anyway) and got a feel for the new mechanics of the game. Solo Legendary is how I've moved from a very good player to an excellent one.

With that said, have you played Regret on Legendary yet? I killed at least 30 Honour guards before dying, on a number of attempts so far. This game is so difficult that beating it will be so incredibly satisfying. There's nothing like rising to a challenge.

And, with that having also been said, playing Legendary does nothing for my online skills. Playing against great A.I., albeit exploitable in certain situations, is no substitute for playing against level 15+ players on Xbox Live.

As far as Legendary goes, I've only got a few more words to say. Carbine + Beam Rifle + Plasma Grenades = All you need. Carbine is a headshooter's dream. Beam Rifle (the covenant sniper rifle) is "teh r0xx0r" when it comes to safely taking out enemies. To hell with the human sniper rifle... Reloading is not where it's at. And yeah, Pistol + Plasma Pistol = pretty sweet as well, especially in multiplayer.
[right][snapback]60972[/snapback][/right]

Well, I don't doubt your skills, although I dont even know you. But I gotta say.. Someones a little high on themselve.
Patrick_A,Nov 28 2004, 08:25 PM Wrote:Well, I don't doubt your skills, although I dont even know you.&nbsp; But I gotta say.. Someones a little high on themselve.
[right][snapback]61454[/snapback][/right]

Well, you should see me play. ;)

Seriously, though, that post was more to show how challenging Legendary is, and how satisfying it is to rise to that challenge. Honestly, Halo (and Halo 2) is the only game series where I'm definitely at my best. Other games come and go, and I do fairly well at them, but Halo is a special case. Halo and Halo 2 are games with fantastic gameplay, gameplay that stands the test of time well. I'm sure I'll be playing Legendary through again, and I'll be playing on Xbox Live for some time to come.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
Patrick_A,Nov 28 2004, 05:25 PM Wrote:Well, I don't doubt your skills, although I dont even know you.&nbsp; But I gotta say.. Someones a little high on themselve.
[right][snapback]61454[/snapback][/right]

Strike three. You're out.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete