Beam me up Scotty,
Or, is there?

Are you geek enough to own or make one of these?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

What frightens me is that someone bought it for ~$500.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
kandrathe,Nov 16 2004, 12:13 PM Wrote:Or, is there?

[right][snapback]60310[/snapback][/right]

Quote:It looks like the Bluetooth communicator shown on the Gizmodo site is simply a mod of a garage door remote unit. I wouldn’t take much skill to strip out the guts of a normal Bluetooth set and install it into one of these units.

I admit it does look pretty cool and I’ll probably end up building one myself, but I thought I save you bidding crazy money on Ebay by letting you know you could do it yourself for about £50.

The Mr MacDonald who made that comment obviously knows a thing or two about electricity. Talk about the ultimate trekkie accessory! I love the way folks figure out a way to do darned near anything!

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I've been waiting for this to happen, not that I would get one. Cell phones are already getting perilously close to the personal communicators of Star Trek in size and ammount of use. It isn't much more of a leap to style a phone to look like it. Then there is just the marketing, price point, and the question of being able to sell enough to make it profitable.

Looking at the trend in cell phone design, once cell phones shrunk from larger than box of butter, to stick of butter size the flip phone was a popular design, ala Star Trek classic communicator. Most of the flip phones I still see are Motorolas.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
kandrathe,Nov 16 2004, 01:13 PM Wrote:Or, is there?

[right][snapback]60310[/snapback][/right]
I'm surprised that he would gut a garage door opener for this. A search on ebay for "star trek communicator" turned up plenty of better-looking items to start with, including a number of the Playmates Toys "Talkback Communicator" from 1995, at about $10.

Going up from there, was a pretty accurate prop kit, right up to an "officially licensed prop replica...Signed by Leonard Nimoy".

-rcv-
Occhidiangela,Nov 16 2004, 08:37 PM Wrote:I love the way folks figure out a way to do darned near anything!
[right][snapback]60314[/snapback][/right]
Sheesh.

I'm still waiting for the day I can cut my Pizza with a lightsaber.

:P
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
Leshy,Nov 20 2004, 06:21 PM Wrote:Sheesh.

I'm still waiting for the day I can cut my Pizza with a lightsaber.

:P
[right][snapback]60605[/snapback][/right]

*Jumps for Joy!*

Hey, Lounge Pizza Chef, how is your new career treating you? Last I remember, you were going to journalism school, then decided on another career.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 21 2004, 11:44 PM Wrote:*Jumps for Joy!*
Always good to see a Rogue with a Heart ;)
Quote:Hey, Lounge Pizza Chef, how is your new career treating you?  Last I remember, you were going to journalism school, then decided on another career.
You're entirely correct.

I stopped pursuing my journalism education during my second year, when I realised the level of education was giving me about the same challenge as playing Diablo with a Dreamflange on my head and GPoW's on my fingers. Add to that that every respectable journalist - maybe that's a conundrum, I'm not sure - that I've met during that time got into the field without ever completing any journalistic education, and I felt that I was better of not wasting my time there.

So now I'm currently at university, doing Ancient History, something that's always been a great interest of mine, and getting a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction out of it :)

And how is life treating yourself?
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
Somebody's got a leeeetle too much time on their hands.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Ok. At the risk of being labled Ubergeek...

THESE WORDS WERE NEVER UTTERED IN THE SHOW!!

Gosh I hate it when people say this.

Get it right.

"Beam me up, Mr. Scot."

End rant.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."