VB6 and VB.NET
What can you all tell me about the differences between the two? My friend is writing a paper on them. Hehe, my friends are just as nerdy as I am! :lol: Thanks for the help guys!
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Nov 15 2004, 09:38 AM Wrote:What can you all tell me about the differences between the two? My friend is writing a paper on them. Hehe, my friends are just as nerdy as I am!  :lol: Thanks for the help guys!
[right][snapback]60189[/snapback][/right]

There is so much difference between them. Is your topic general on the main differences, or it more focussed?

Do you care about differences that are due to the .NET architecture in general, or just to the VB language between the two?

Are you interested in the theoretical differences (i.e. google would probably be a decent source), or the practical differences?
whyBish,Nov 14 2004, 10:51 PM Wrote:There is so much difference between them.  Is your topic general on the main differences, or it more focussed?

Do you care about differences that are due to the .NET architecture in general, or just to the VB language between the two?

Are you interested in the theoretical differences (i.e. google would probably be a decent source), or the practical differences?
[right][snapback]60228[/snapback][/right]

I'm not really sure what she needs. I tried to Google it, but I didn't find much of value. Do you know of any good websites with general information?
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Nov 15 2004, 12:20 AM Wrote:I'm not really sure what she needs. I tried to Google it, but I didn't find much of value. Do you know of any good websites with general information?
[right][snapback]60231[/snapback][/right]
This might help a little if you just want some background info on what .net is: http://www.w3schools.com/ngws/ngws_intro.asp

A brief google search came up with this: http://www.thescarms.com/vbasic/VB6vsVBNet.asp
and this: http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/FAQ-VBN...NET-Differences

Biggest difference with .net that I can think of is that you're going to use a lot of periods. I.e., adding items to a listbox goes something like listboxname.items.add("text")

Imo, .net is more like a "dummied" down version. Everytime you hit the . key, all of the commands that can go next appear (i.e., typing "listboxname." with then give you a small popup that shows all 120 listbox options, when you type another one out (or click on one of the options, the popup doesn't stop you from typing normally), if it's got . options, those will appear when you press the ., and so on and so forth).

Hope that helps a bit.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Nov 15 2004, 09:38 AM Wrote:Imo, .net is more like a "dummied" down version.  Everytime you hit the . key, all of the commands that can go next appear (i.e., typing "listboxname." with then give you a small popup that shows all 120 listbox options, when you type another one out (or click on one of the options, the popup doesn't stop you from typing normally), if it's got . options, those will appear when you press the ., and so on and so forth).

Hope that helps a bit.
[right][snapback]60243[/snapback][/right]

That is hardly the language though and differences between versions. That is differences between the different IDE I would say.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
As wyrm showed, the typical google search does wonders.

http://www.thescarms.com/vbasic/VB6vsVBNet.asp is a good link for the language differences.

You could also possibly want the IDE differences, and/or the architectural differences.

The IDE has bunches of new whizzbang features such as macros, code-collapsing, keyboard mappings etc.

The architectural differences are too large for me to list, but there are some obvious main ones such as:
- the code compiles to a Common Language Runtime (CLR), so that you can implement various languages in .NET, not just VB.NET, and they can all interoperate. The CLR means that any machine can run .NET code if it has a device that can run the CLR, just like how the Java JVM enables portability. I haven't looked for a long time, but I know that there were people working on a Mac version.
- Common way of exposing interfaces of objects
- API interfacing changes
- Single directory intalls
- Security / permissions handling

Hope this is a start. I haven't used it for a full commercial project yet, so I can't tell you about productivity, or practical issues.
Thanks all!
WWBBD?