Mandrake linux
Hello,
I have installed Mandrake linux this week;this is the first time I deal with it;I don't know how to turn off the computer from linux,do you know how to do it? There is no option at the start up menu to turn off or reboot the computer.
Thanks for your help,

Abramelin
Abramelin,Nov 14 2004, 11:17 AM Wrote:Hello,
I have installed Mandrake linux this week;this is the first time I deal with it;I don't know how to turn off the computer from linux,do you know how to do it? There is no option at the start up menu to turn off or reboot the computer.
Thanks for your help,

Abramelin
[right][snapback]60172[/snapback][/right]

Go into your terminal (CLI) and type "man shutdown" =) man is your friend!
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Nov 14 2004, 05:36 PM Wrote:Go into your terminal (CLI) and type "man shutdown" =) man is your friend!
[right][snapback]60175[/snapback][/right]
OK,I'll check it provided that you're not kidding..
Abramelin,Nov 14 2004, 12:43 PM Wrote:OK,I'll check it provided that you're not kidding..
[right][snapback]60176[/snapback][/right]

Nope, not kidding. The "man" command is the help command. Man is short for manual.
WWBBD?
Hi,

Abramelin,Nov 14 2004, 10:43 AM Wrote:OK,I'll check it provided that you're not kidding..
[right][snapback]60176[/snapback][/right]

Nope, he is not kidding. And he is right about the usefulness of the man command. One thing that you might need to know: 'man foo' just gives you the manual pages for the command foo. To get a list of all topics referring to foo, use 'man -k foo'.

A great place to start just might be 'man man'. ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Shutting down? Linux? Haha, that's funny! :lol:

Jokings aside, unix based system aren't really meant to be shutdown. It's the norm to have system uptimes of weeks and months, unless you're someone who likes to run bleeding-edge kernels.

From the sound of it, it seems that this is the first time you've touched an unix based system of any kind. My advice to you is to find a friend who has had experience and look to that person for solutions instead. If you want to do things right, you have to learn things right. And, needless to say, the learning curve is very steep.

Also, as you explore more of Linux, you'll find that GNU/Linux programmers have an interesting sense of humour when it comes to naming applications.