This item and crafting lag is killing me!
It appears that everytime you get a new item type in your inventory you get to live in your own little personal world of lag. The rest of the world moves along without you, critters can attack and kill you, but you just sit there looting the body, or skinning, or what not. I have died twice skinning at L15 to L7 critters because well I couldn't do anything to them. If I tried to attack back I got the lovely little "another action is already in progress" message.

Crafting appears to be even worse. I have the game windowed now. At the start of me typing this post I was cooking the 30 small fish that I had caught (waiting for my party mates to get back on line so I fished a bunch). At this point I have managed to finishing cooking 7 of those.

Treesh was trying to cook 27 of them, and she got 4 of them done before it auto AFK'd her. While she was cooking. I fully expect that cooking 30 small fish will take half an hour. I like realism, but cooking going in real time speed is not enjoyable.

Making leather and cloth goods with other chars is just as bad as any of that as well. You just sit there in your own private universe while everything else moves around you. But the time it is taking to do any of this stuff is retarded.

Now if the lag was more universal and didn't seem to be so item or crafting related it wouldn't be so bad. I pretty much never lag in combat, or moving around or doing anything other than try to pick up or create an item.

I realize this isn't how it is intended to be, but in a game that is so focused on combat, the trade skills don't need another blow like this. Oh well, 19 of my 30 fish yet to go...
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Nov 11 2004, 03:13 PM Wrote:It appears that everytime you get a new item type in your inventory you get to live in your own little personal world of lag.  The rest of the world moves along without you, critters can attack and kill you, but you just sit there looting the body, or skinning, or what not....

Crafting appears to be even worse....
[right][snapback]59970[/snapback][/right]
This seemed to get much worse yesterday. Even just talking to a merchant would bring on the extreme lag. And then, if you make the mistake of trying to do something else because you thought you had actually not clicked what you wanted, the lag piles up. Eventually it all happens. I bought an extra bag because of this.

The other thing I have noticed is that the game seems to be messing up the rest of my system. I don't know if this is the symptom of a memory leak or if the game is dropping little bombs in the system somewhere. When coming out of the game, especially trying to quit out of one of these matrix time moments, the game will either take an extended period of time to close out or refuse to quit at all. My system is then sluggish. I also noticed that it affects the power saver feature. I run my machine at all times. Rather than using a screen saver, I use the power saver to shut off the screen. If I don't reboot after playing WoW, the power saver never trips. The screen is still on 8 hours later.

Is anyone else running into any of these issues? My machine more than meets the listed specs and, as I related in another thread, I have updated my video drivers to remove any issues there. I am really wanting to like this game. If I were ever to start paying a subscription to play any game, this would be the most likely candidate. However, if the game is going to serve up large hunks of frustration along with the fun, I don't think I can justify doing so.

(Freudian slip? - I originally typed "Am I really wanting to like this game." Am I questioning whether I really want to like this game? :o )
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Just a thought:

I haven't played WOW yet, but it appears to me that Blizzard has implemented some intense security measures to make anything that has to do with items in WOW (picking up items, trading items, crafting items etc) as cheat/hack-safe as possible. If that is the case, then they certainly need to optimize that stuff to reduce the item-related lag.

PS: You guys just convinced me that I'll buy and try WOW not earlier than in 6 months from now ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
That's definately the best way to do it, Nobbie.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
[/QUOTE]
PS: You guys just convinced me that I'll buy and try WOW not earlier than in 6 months from now ;)

And miss all those lovely Paladins? :P

http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.ph...e=20041110

I won't have time before spring to play WoW, so hopefully it will be bugfree by then.

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”