Which type of server come launch
Tal, Magicbag, and myself started discussing tonight on what kind of server we should look to go on come launch.

General consensus between us was for a PvE server. My view on this being that if you want to do PvP, it's still available on PvE while if you don't want to be forced into a situation where you don't want to deal with PvP on a PvP you out of luck.

Also, I don't know about others, but I don't know if I could stay in character nearly 100% of the time that a RPG server is going to require (per Blizzard's rules listed in the thread below).

So my preference would be for a PvE non-RPG server.

What are other people's preferences at this point that plan on playing the game come launch?
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Nov 10 2004, 10:01 PM Wrote:Tal, Magicbag, and myself started discussing tonight on what kind of server we should look to go on come launch.

General consensus between us was for a PvE server.  My view on this being that if you want to do PvP, it's still available on PvE while if you don't want to be forced into a situation where you don't want to deal with PvP on a PvP you out of luck.

Also, I don't know about others, but I don't know if I could stay in character nearly 100% of the time that a RPG server is going to require (per Blizzard's rules listed in the thread below).

What are other people's preferences at this point that plan on playing the game come launch?
[right][snapback]59923[/snapback][/right]

As I read the rules, guild chat was exempt from RP requirements on the RP servers. My preference would be for PvE, but I'd be willing to try PvP. I have a level 9 or 10 priest on the beta PvP server and she has never so much as seen an horde.

I still like the idea of RP though.

"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Lissa,Nov 10 2004, 09:01 PM Wrote:What are other people's preferences at this point that plan on playing the game come launch?

I would go PvE. RP or not, makes no diff to me, but I'm not into the PvP scene. I'd also lean to the Alliance.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
I don't know yet if I'll be playing the release of WoW, but if I do, I'd respect the wishes of the Lurkers playing the most. PvE servers will still have a PvP end game option, and I'll leave role-playing discussion for the people more interested in that. I could roll-play if we went that way, but harsh restrictions on gameplay might not be what we want.
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Lissa,Nov 10 2004, 09:01 PM Wrote:Tal, Magicbag, and myself started discussing tonight on what kind of server we should look to go on come launch.

General consensus between us was for a PvE server.&nbsp; My view on this being that if you want to do PvP, it's still available on PvE while if you don't want to be forced into a situation where you don't want to deal with PvP on a PvP you out of luck.

U.S. East, PvE, Human Paladin
Roland *The Gunslinger*
If I get the release game, it would be PvE I think. I don't care one way or another about roll play or not.

Of course I would rather go horde than alliance, but that is just me. I like my Taurens.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I'd prefer horde and roleplaying server if I buy the game. About the only alliance race I really like is the Night Elf, despite those stupid banana ears. PvE or PvP doesn't matter a whole lot to me at this point. Either is fine. Of course, since there's nothing yet about whether any of the RP servers are going to be PvP, I lean towards PvE. :)
Intolerant monkey.
Magicbag,Nov 11 2004, 11:40 AM Wrote:I don't know yet if I'll be playing the release of WoW, but if I do, I'd respect the wishes of the Lurkers playing the most.&nbsp; PvE servers will still have a PvP end game option, and I'll leave role-playing discussion for the people more interested in that.&nbsp; I could roll-play if we went that way, but harsh restrictions on gameplay might not be what we want.
-MB
[right][snapback]59949[/snapback][/right]

What harsh restrictions on game play?
PvP, Human Paladin or Troll Warrior.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
I'd prefer PvE and an RP server.

However, I think even the RP strong MMORPG community that I'm involved with elsewhere, and that's been on RP servers in every other game we've played, is hesitant about the RP servers here. I think it's the IC in party chat thing -- we always sort of made party chat go back and forth on the IC versus OOC thing depending on our mood, though I'm really not sure how Blizzard intends to police that. I sure wouldn't report someone for being OOC in party chat, unless they were also being offensive.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Roane,Nov 12 2004, 11:05 PM Wrote:I think it's the IC in party chat thing -- we always sort of made party chat go back and forth on the IC versus OOC thing depending on our mood, though I'm really not sure how Blizzard intends to police that.&nbsp; I sure wouldn't report someone for being OOC in party chat, unless they were also being offensive.
[right][snapback]60103[/snapback][/right]
I think they included party chat in that more for the pickup groups rather than groups formed from guild members and good friends. And considering the amount of out of character chatter I've seen in the other channels they are supposedly policing, I really don't think people will have to worry too much about OOC chat in party chat between friends getting them into hot water.
Intolerant monkey.
Roane,Nov 13 2004, 01:05 AM Wrote:I'd prefer PvE and an RP server.
/nod

Probably my preference as well at least until the GMs start warning and banning for the cess pit that flows out of folk's mouth in general. I also wouldn't complain terribly if it was PvP on a RP server. I've been doing more PvP with Big Sharanna™ and I've had some fun. Though that may be more a function that Paladins aren't nearly as gimped in PvP as people think. ;)
I certainly think there's room for all kinds of server choices for Lurkers, as I think of us as more of a "group of people who like hanging out with each other" rather than some totalitarian "guild." When we see the server names, we can pick one of each kind of servers and designate those as "Lurker" servers so that those Lurkers who want to try a certain type of server can find each other.

For my part, I'm definitely going to play on a PvP server, because I've found that the level of play and the commraderie among strangers is much higher there. The thing I haven't decided on is whether I'm playing Horde or Alliance. I would like to play Horde, because I think the level of play and the commraderie is even higher there (newer players tend to play Alliance) and because I haven't played Horde for a while and want to see what their quests are like. The trouble is, I really like how the racial abilities and special race-only spells fit with a night elf hunter and a dwarf priest. I'll have to look over the horde abilities and race-only spells (for priests) and see if there's a combination there I like.
Tal,Nov 13 2004, 08:13 AM Wrote:I've been doing more PvP with Big Sharanna™ and I've had some fun. Though that may be more a function that Paladins aren't nearly as gimped in PvP as people think. ;)

I've been long under the impression that most people think that paladins are one of the best PvP classes. The trouble with paladins is that they haven't been very good PvE characters until recently. The only class paladins really fear are priests. Mana Burn for the win!
MongoJerry,Nov 13 2004, 08:46 PM Wrote:I've been long under the impression that most people think that paladins are one of the best PvP classes.&nbsp; The trouble with paladins is that they haven't been very good PvE characters until recently.&nbsp; The only class paladins really fear are priests. Mana Burn for the win!
[right][snapback]60146[/snapback][/right]
Under the new spells though as long as I have the mana to produce one spell at least once past half health then its Pally for the win! ;)
Roane,Nov 12 2004, 10:05 PM Wrote:I'd prefer PvE and an RP server.

However, I think even the RP strong MMORPG community that I'm involved with elsewhere, and that's been on RP servers in every other game we've played, is hesitant about the RP servers here.&nbsp; I think it's the IC in party chat thing -- we always sort of made party chat go back and forth on the IC versus OOC thing depending on our mood, though I'm really not sure how Blizzard intends to police that.&nbsp; I sure wouldn't report someone for being OOC in party chat, unless they were also being offensive.

If the present setup in OB is any indication, there is only going to be 1 to 2 RP servers per locality (presently in the west there is just 1 RP server while there are 5 or 6 PvP servers, and then reset PvE). If Blizzard holds with this number of servers, the RP servers are going to probably be very crowded.

The problem I have at the moment with the RP guidelines Blizzard has produced is that they're vague. Are they going to crack down on people using acronyms and the like, ie, when someone asks for a group and says LFG, is that going to be a no-no in Blizzard's eyes (cause the rules they're released aren't straight forward on this)?
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
MongoJerry,Nov 13 2004, 07:42 PM Wrote:When we see the server names, we can pick one of each kind of servers and designate those as "Lurker" servers so that those Lurkers who want to try a certain type of server can find each other.

That's probably the best bet. Pick the Alliance PvP, Horde PvP, PvE, and RP servers to use. But I still think it's wise to at least match our PvE and Horde PvP choice with the Basin crowd's. My 2 cents.

MongoJerry,Nov 13 2004, 07:42 PM Wrote:For my part, I'm definitely going to play on a PvP server, because I've found that the level of play and the commraderie among strangers is much higher there.  The thing I haven't decided on is whether I'm playing Horde or Alliance.  I would like to play Horde, because I think the level of play and the commraderie is even higher there (newer players tend to play Alliance) and because I haven't played Horde for a while and want to see what their quests are like.  The trouble is, I really like how the racial abilities and special race-only spells fit with a night elf hunter and a dwarf priest.  I'll have to look over the horde abilities and race-only spells (for priests) and see if there's a combination there I like.

You Lurkers new to the game would do well to heed Mongo's words. He and lemekim have played this game more than any other Lurkers by far, on both PvE and PvP servers. He's quite correct regarding the PvP server - there is more of a "faction alliance" there where people will join with you based on your common hatred of players on the other faction, and simple questing can be more interesting. It's not like you're in danger all the time - only if you tend to do outdoor quests in contested zones a lot.

Also, it's true that newbie players tend to pick Alliance, mostly because the average casual gamer will pick Human. It's "familiar" to them. The Horde is definitely the "underdog" in the faction war, generally doomed to have fewer players, along with fewer quests and zones to play in. This generates an ever tighter "us vs them" mentality than on the Alliance side.

I'd find it hard to go back to the PvE server now, just because some parts of the game would be much more boring. That level 20 Warlock quest to get your Succubus becomes a real thrill when it involves you:

A) getting through Dustwallow Marsh, a level 35-ish contested zone and
B) running to the heart of The Barrens, a Horde territory, where you're dead meat if you get seen.

Still, the caveat is that there are a number of critical gameplay functions that need to be put into PvP and haven't. Neutral town guards don't really work to stop the massacres, and there is no anti-griefing system. If you choose to play on PvP, you're going on faith that these problems will get fixed at some point. Part of the reason I've been saying this game isn't ready yet.

But then again, when you play a character for a year or more, you have to think long term. And on the PvE server, what are you going to do with your char once you've seen all the content? Over on the PvP server, wars break out with huge armies of players attacking major towns. On the PvE server, those do happen, yes, but nobody cares to fight back because it doesn't impact them. I mean, why bother?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
MongoJerry,Nov 13 2004, 06:42 PM Wrote:I certainly think there's room for all kinds of server choices for Lurkers, as I think of us as more of a "group of people who like hanging out with each other" rather than some totalitarian "guild."&nbsp; When we see the server names, we can pick one of each kind of servers and designate those as "Lurker" servers so that those Lurkers who want to try a certain type of server can find each other.

If they keep the server queues in place that they just added tonight the choice because a bit more critical as to exactly which server. I'm in a 30 minute queue to play my group with Tal and Treesh right now because for some reason I couldn't get into the game until 5 minutes after they could (even though Treesh is sitting 2 feet from me using the same internet provider...). Picking a server at release time is a scary prospect when you can't be certain the people you want to game with will even be able to get on. You'll want to find a low pop one, that you figure will stay low, so the RP servers look better and better.

Of course this could be very different in a few weeks. This could just be a temp fix for tonight.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Nov 14 2004, 12:16 AM Wrote:If they keep the server queues in place that they just added tonight the choice because a bit more critical as to exactly which server.&nbsp; I'm in a 30 minute queue to play my group with Tal and Treesh right now because for some reason I couldn't get into the game until 5 minutes after they could (even though Treesh is sitting 2 feet from me using the same internet provider...).&nbsp; Picking a server at release time is a scary prospect when you can't be certain the people you want to game with will even be able to get on.&nbsp; You'll want to find a low pop one, that you figure will stay low, so the RP servers look better and better.&nbsp;

Of course this could be very different in a few weeks.&nbsp; This could just be a temp fix for tonight.
[right][snapback]60156[/snapback][/right]

Consider yourselves fortunate! I have not seen as much as queue message all night and day.

I still would prefer the RP servers, but I could probably be happy on any server that had enough Alliance guildmates to quest with.