Repair of Ereathal items
I have read a number of post that talk about using ereathal items, especially weapons in runewords.

So if you made "call to arms" with one, would it not soon be broken and useless?

I mean if the merc had it, then it is fine.
It's possible to make any kind of runeword in ethereal socketed items, as long as the sockets weren't put there by an item prefix (Mechanic's, Jeweler's, etc.) or Larzuk's socket quest, same as any other way you'd make runewords. But once the item's gone, the item's gone. No way to repair ethereal items.

Hey, I once blew a char's Charsi imbues on a couple Wirt's Legs. You can do some crazy and totally legal things in this game.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
vmxa,Nov 10 2004, 04:39 PM Wrote:I have read a number of post that talk about using ereathal items, especially weapons in runewords.

So if you made "call to arms" with one, would it not soon be broken and useless?

I mean if the merc had it, then it is fine.
[right][snapback]59911[/snapback][/right]

There's no way to repair ethereal items. So you generally shouldn't make runewords in ethereal items. There are some exceptions, though:
1. If the runeword grants indestructibility (Breath of the Dying and Eternity)
2. If the runeword is so cheap that you don't mind the loss
3. If you make in a weapon with which you'll never hit anyone (the only benefit to etherealness then is the -10 strength/dexterity requirements)
4. If the runeword will go to a merc

Call to Arms would be the third one, since most people just use them for the war cries. If you do want it as an actual weapon, make it in a non-ethereal one.
[quote=adeyke,Nov 11 2004, 02:05 AM]

3. If you make in a weapon with which you'll never hit anyone (the only benefit to etherealness then is the -10 strength/dexterity requirements)

Hi

I was of the opinion that an etheral weapon had +50% on base damage, so if I put a runeword into an etheral weapon and equipped a BF-Assa with it I would get a boost damagewise. Am I wrong?

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Assur,Nov 10 2004, 08:25 PM Wrote:
adeyke,Nov 11 2004, 02:05 AM Wrote:3. If you make in a weapon with which you'll never hit anyone (the only benefit to etherealness then is the -10 strength/dexterity requirements)

Hi

I was of the opinion that an etheral weapon had +50% on base damage, so if I put a runeword into an etheral weapon and equipped a BF-Assa with it I would get a boost damagewise. Am I wrong?

good karma
[right][snapback]59930[/snapback][/right]

5. You intend to use the weapon on a BF assassin.

I can't believe I forgot that one. Yes, the BF gets the damage bonus and doesn't lose durability, so ethereal weapons are great there.
Ok, thanks.