What will liberals say if Frist runs in 2008?
I was wondering about this. Im guessing hell be the canidate.

Liberals will hate him because hes pretty much a social conservative. But they will lose the major major ammo they had to throw at Bush.
Frist is smart if not brialliant.
He has a humanitarian record.
Hes not in so tight with big busieness.

I suspect it will be him against Hillary. Should make for a different fight if they both make it to the finals.
Ghostiger,Nov 6 2004, 11:44 AM Wrote:I was wondering about this. Im guessing hell be the canidate.

Liberals will hate him because hes pretty much a social conservative. But they will lose the major major ammo they had to throw at Bush.

I suspect it will be him against Hillary. Should make for a different fight if they both make it to the finals.
[right][snapback]59453[/snapback][/right]

Why would liberals want to vilify a humanitarian?
Ghostiger,Nov 6 2004, 10:44 AM Wrote:I suspect it will be him against Hillary. Should make for a different fight if they both make it to the finals.

Hmm ammo... Frist isn't a woman? :P But that can go both ways...
Ghostiger,Nov 6 2004, 07:44 AM Wrote:Frist is smart if not brialliant.
He doesn't understand the average American.
Quote:He has a humanitarian record.
He raised his stature on the backs of people he pretended to help.
Quote:Hes not in so tight with big busieness.
He failed in buisness.

It really shows when you live in a red state as opposted to a blue one. :lol:
bernard shakey,Nov 6 2004, 11:00 AM Wrote:Why would liberals want to vilify a humanitarian?
[right][snapback]59458[/snapback][/right]

Good Question. Perhaps the fact that he would not be "their humanitarian" would make him a less suitable humanitarian, if that appelation fits. Remember how WJ Clinton, womanizer, was given a pass by the Feminist lobby? He might have been a jerk, but he was "Their Jerk."

My observation is that if the Democratic party wants to win in 2008, they will construct a platform, starting yesterday, that appeals to the strong centrist sentiments in this country. Divorce their extreme left and capture the moderate vote. In doing so they will steal a march on the Republicans, who will probably have a hard time divorcing the extreme Right, if that is even an aim.

WJ Clinton seems to have attracted any number of moderates.

We shall see. A chance for the party of FDR to show its quality.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
FoxBat,Nov 6 2004, 11:13 AM Wrote:Hmm ammo... Frist isn't a woman?  :P  But that can go both ways...
[right][snapback]59461[/snapback][/right]

I wonder if Senator Clinton can win her party's nomination for Pres. The aim of that party is to select an electable candidate. My tactics suggestion above, to take a centrist position now, might make her participation moot.

On the other hand, she has three more years in the Senate to demonstrate leadership in that body. Sponsor bills that pass. Work deals that coopt middle of the road Republicans to her way of solving a problem. If she can pull that off, she will be in a strong position in 07 to start sanding the planks of the platform. Being able to stand on a sound Senatorial record can only help.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 6 2004, 02:55 PM Wrote:Being able to stand on a sound Senatorial record can only help.

And yet, successful candidates seem to be coming from the ranks of the Governors, lately... who don't have a Senator's voting record to either defend nor footnote.

Which may be why GOPers are looking at the likes of Rudy Giuliani or, legislation willing, Arnie?
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Those guys cant get the Republican nomination. They arent social conservatives and thats pretty much required to win the Republican nomination.

Nicodemus Phaulkon,Nov 6 2004, 06:13 PM Wrote:And yet, successful candidates seem to be coming from the ranks of the Governors, lately... who don't have a Senator's voting record to either defend nor footnote.

Which may be why GOPers are looking at the likes of Rudy Giuliani or, legislation willing, Arnie?
[right][snapback]59480[/snapback][/right]

Maybe McCain. Or, my gawd, Colin and Condi. :)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Nicodemus Phaulkon,Nov 6 2004, 06:13 PM Wrote:And yet, successful candidates seem to be coming from the ranks of the Governors, lately... who don't have a Senator's voting record to either defend nor footnote.

[right][snapback]59480[/snapback][/right]

Governors do make better presidential candidates, because they have an office that demands leadership instead of partisanship. They also can play the role of "Washington outsider" which is sometimes beneficial with cynical voters (especially now that we know the average IQ in D.C. is so low :P ).

I do agree with Ghostiger about Rudy and Arnie. They are the kind of guys who might do well in a general election but have trouble getting that far. If the social climate in 4 years is similar to what it is now, the GOP will really want someone more socially conservative in the mold of Reagan and George W. Bush.

Senator Clinton, on the other hand, probably could win a primary easily. But could she win a general election? Today I would say "Not a chance!", but a lot can happen in 4 years.

Truth be told, it's kind of funny that we are even talking about this. There is so much to happen between now and then. We could have 2 candidates in 2008 that most people don't even know by name right now.
kandrathe,Nov 6 2004, 07:03 PM Wrote:Maybe McCain.  Or, my gawd, Colin and Condi.  :)
[right][snapback]59494[/snapback][/right]

I've seldom heard McCain say anything with which I've disagreed. He has reaffirmed his loyalty to the Republican Party and yet is not afraid to go against them on issues, which could pull in some of the Democratic vote as well. Heck, he was even approached to run on their ticket. I'd be very interested to see him run in '08.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Nov 7 2004, 10:50 AM Wrote:I've seldom heard McCain say anything with which I've disagreed.  He has reaffirmed his loyalty to the Republican Party and yet is not afraid to go against them on issues, which could pull in some of the Democratic vote as well.  Heck, he was even approached to run on their ticket.  I'd be very interested to see him run in '08.
[right][snapback]59551[/snapback][/right]

McCain is one of the rare remaining politicians in the US, one that actually cares about his constituents. It is why I reaffirmed him as a Senator from Arizona. While I may not agree with some of his stands on issues, I feel he actually cares to do what is right for the constiuents.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Ghostiger,Nov 6 2004, 03:44 PM Wrote:I was wondering about this. Im guessing hell be the canidate.

The ammo thrown at Bush was because it is easy to find something against Bush.

Further I don't know this guy you are talking about, but I see no reason that the republicans would send a humanitarian who is not in with big business. They saw that they can make the american people choose Bush, now they want more and try to find an even more conservative, war-loving, person. Maybe Rumsfeld, Maybe Rice, man maybe even Bill O'Reilly. And I cannot blame them for doing that, what would you do?

For the republicans now (in 4 years) to send a "nice" guy would mean that they would lose their momentum.
eppie,Nov 8 2004, 04:07 AM Wrote:...
For the republicans now (in 4 years) to send a "nice" guy would mean that they would lose their momentum.
[right][snapback]59622[/snapback][/right]
Seriously, there are a few factors to consider. Who will Karl Rove be backing? A southerner? Possibly another Texan, Rick Perry? A governor or former governor of a crucial state, maybe Jeb Bush, Rudy Guliani, or Bob Taft of Ohio. You can bet the neo-cons will be forwarding another candidate, possibly one not tarnished with this or past administrations, like William Bennett, or Tommy Thompson.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Nov 8 2004, 12:56 PM Wrote:Seriously, there are a few factors to consider.  Who will Karl Rove be backing?  A southerner?  Possibly another Texan, Rick Perry?  A governor or former governor of a crucial state, maybe Jeb Bush, Rudy Guliani, or Bob Taft of Ohio.  You can bet the neo-cons will be forwarding another candidate, possibly one not tarnished with this or past administrations, like William Bennett, or Tommy Thompson.
[right][snapback]59655[/snapback][/right]

Governor Perry? I'd like to see him be a bit better governor, particularly in the bipartisan arena of "working with" the other party before he gets a chance to leave Texas for a national stage. Said differently, he's got some cleaning up to do around Texas before his term is over, and at present, the was the tax bills keep driving local taxes up, he may wake up one day and see yet another version of the Tax Revolt when he loses the support of moderates.

As to Gov Jeb Bush, he has a lot of good points, to include elocution. :)

Arnie ineligible, Austrian birth. Rudi? I don't see it. Senator McCain? I think his health and age work against him. His one shot was 2000. However, if he can make a dent in the movement toward the far right, he may be able to accrue some moderate support, without which the Reps will lose in 2008 if the Dems even make a small move toward center.

Now, about those 80 million or so who did not bother to vote . . .

Thanks for nothing.

Occchi
In Memory of Pete