Gambling Mechanics
Greetings Lurkers,

I am looking for a detailed guide to gambling, if one exists; hopefully providing information such as:
Which merchant to gamble from in hell difficulty.
Optimal clvl for gambling amulets, rings, circlets and cornets.
Optimal clvl for affixes of +skills, Resist All, leech, etc. (the good stuff)
Percentage chances of unique, set, rare.
Effects of number of players in game, magic find; both as I recall mean nothing but I want to be sure.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
[Image: ThiefLogo.jpg]

"What cannot kill you, isn't worth fighting." - Anon.
Chameleon, The Lost Thief *Fades away into the darkness*
Chameleon,Nov 4 2004, 08:16 PM Wrote:Greetings Lurkers,

I am looking for a detailed guide to gambling, if one exists; hopefully providing information such as:
Which merchant to gamble from in hell difficulty.
Optimal clvl for gambling amulets, rings, circlets and cornets.
Optimal clvl for affixes of +skills, Resist All, leech, etc. (the good stuff)
Percentage chances of unique, set, rare.
Effects of number of players in game, magic find; both as I recall mean nothing but I want to be sure.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
[right][snapback]59288[/snapback][/right]

The vendor makes no difference at all. All vendors will have the same gambling.

There's a 1/10 chance of rare, a 1/1,000 chance of set, and a 1/2,000 chance of unique.

The number of players in the game, and the amount of MF both don't make any difference. The only item that will have any effect on gambling is Gheed's Fortune; the reduced vendor prices applies to gambling.
adeyke,Nov 5 2004, 05:58 AM Wrote:All vendors will have the same gambling.[right][snapback]59297[/snapback][/right]
Hi,

Is this true for Normal and Nightmare, too? I was wondering, because I thought that there was a significant difference last time I played (Isn't this how we always tend to react). Also, do you mean by that that all vendors show the same gambling screen or that each of them can generally sell the same stuff?
Plus: If you know, how were things in 1.06? Any difference?
Thanks in advance. Always curious :rolleyes: ....

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Fragbait,Nov 5 2004, 12:27 AM Wrote:Hi,

Is this true for Normal and Nightmare, too? I was wondering, because I thought that there was a significant difference last time I played (Isn't this how we always tend to react). Also, do you mean by that that all vendors show the same gambling screen or that each of them can generally sell the same stuff?
Plus: If you know, how were things in 1.06? Any difference?
Thanks in advance. Always curious  :rolleyes: ....

Greetings, Fragbait
[right][snapback]59319[/snapback][/right]

All vendors have the same items with the same probability for the same price. The specific gambling inventory is rerolled every time you open the gambling screen.

You should be sure to gamble in hell, but that's only so you can sell back junk for the full 35K.

I really can't say anything about older versions of D2.
adeyke,Nov 5 2004, 07:45 AM Wrote:All vendors have the same items with the same probability for the same price.  The specific gambling inventory is rerolled every time you open the gambling screen.

You should be sure to gamble in hell, but that's only so you can sell back junk for the full 35K.

I really can't say anything about older versions of D2.
[right][snapback]59321[/snapback][/right]

I know that for 1.09 the odds weren't as good as they are now.....but other than that the mechanics haven't changed at all. I can't go back any further though as I only played then and didn't study the game at all. I can give you this though:

1.1 Gambling

As most here surely remember, I had posted much on gambling in the previous version of this thread, most of the information provided was actually for the 1.10 beta (listed on the Arreat Summit), the following are 1.10 specific.

how clvl is involved

Character level determins two things while gambling, the first is what items may be purchased and the second is what item lvl the purchased item will attain.

ilvls are determined by an equation:
ilvl = clvl + rnd[10] - 5
or more simply clvl-5 through clvl+4

odds via uniques, sets, rares

The odds to receive a specific quality are much higher than I had originally expected. The following are the odds for a purchased item to become unique/set/rare.

unique: 1/2000
set: 1/1000
rare: 1/10
magical: 1/~1.1

or percentages:

Uniques: 0.05%
Sets: 0.10%
Rares: 10.00%
Magic: 89.85%

Odds at attainning exceptional/elite versions of the item

here are the equations used to determine whether or not the item will become eceptional or elite:

exceptional = 1 + (ilvl - excep qlvl) * GambleUber / 100

elite = 1 + (ilvl - elite qlvl) * GambleUltra / 100

gambleuber = 90
gambleultra = 33

One last thing I would like to add about gambling is simply this. MagicFind in no way affects gambling.

sources:
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?f...&p=1#post102770

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...opic=28671&st=0

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...t=ST&f=8&t=3827

http://www.diabloii.net/items/quick-gambling
Amulets are really only gambles at clvl 95+ since you need an alvl of 90 to get the +2 skills on them. Also, crafting is a much better way to get better amulets at that level, just make sure you use high ilvl stuff.
42: Prismatic
36/90: 1/2 Skills
20/40: 1/2 Skill tree
24/57/85: Leech/Locust/Lamprey
15/58/78: Bat/Wraith/Vampire

Rings also are better off crafting, but the good alvls are:
56: Rainbow
18: Any single resistance 21-30
14/47/77: Leech/Locust/Lamprey
25/58/86: Bat/Wraith/Vampire
74: Titan

Circlets are like amulets, only really good with +2 skills which require alvls of 90.
15/28/78: Bat/Wraith/Vampire
14/47/77: Leech/Locust/Lamprey
42: Prismatic
5: Deadly
36/90: 1/2 Skills
20/40: 1/2 Skill tree

Basically gamble with your highest level character, but dont bother to try and get +2 circlets/amulets if you aren't above level 90. Try using the affix calc at diabloii.nu if you want to figure out more
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Fragbait,Nov 5 2004, 02:27 AM Wrote:Plus: If you know, how were things in 1.06? Any difference?
Greetings, Fragbait
[right][snapback]59319[/snapback][/right]

blizzard has changed how things work so many times pre LOD its not even funny anymore. for a long time you could force the game to drop a uniq or more rares by having uniqs in the game.

if you wanted a soj to drop/gamble you had to have the other 2 uniq rings in the game. if the game rolled a uniq it would then see if the other 2 are in the game, if they were a soj would drop. since uniqs werent as good then people would keep the game full of uniqs so more rares would drop.

blizzard also messed with the number of stats a rare could have a long with the lev reqs for those mods. a rare with 6 mods rocks but for a long time you were lucky to get one with 3 good mods. i remember once we had a rare armor drop with +1 life in an 8ppl hell game.

i dont recall the % to gamble stuff per lod but a soj would only cost about 500k to 1.5mill gold. so it wasnt hard to get 1-2 a night. the hard part was to get the gold needed to gamble. the max gold you could sell junk was only 25k and you couldnt hold as much in your stash.

it was 1.07 or 1.08 patch a b or something that when they changed the odds to gamble to 1/100,000 or something

Quote:Amulets are really only gambles at clvl 95+ since you need an alvl of 90 to get the +2 skills on them.

that doesnt sound right, if i recall the chance to get +2 on an amulet goes up the higher the char lev is starting at 86. per lod i think it was 84 or 85 but now it should be 86 for D2C and LOD.
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.
-Tempus-,Nov 27 2004 Wrote:that doesnt sound right, if i recall the chance to get +2 on an amulet goes up the higher the char lev is starting at 86. per lod i think it was 84 or 85 but now it should be 86 for D2C and LOD.
[right][snapback]61361[/snapback][/right]

Theoretically, you start to have a chance at clvl 86. However, your chance increases by a factor of 2 if you're clvl 87, 3 if you're clvl 88, and so on, up to a factor of 10 if you're clvl 95.

So, while you do have a chance at the "lower" clvls, you really should be clvl 95+ for best results.
adeyke,Nov 27 2004, 01:30 PM Wrote:So, while you do have a chance at the "lower" clvls, you really should be clvl 95+ for best results.
[right][snapback]61368[/snapback][/right]

thats easy to do in LOD but not so easy in D2C, also not everyone plays the game for levs so they may never get a char past 86 or even that high. so its always good to know when you start to get a chance to get a +2 amulet.

for LOD using a lev 99 char is best to gamble and craft. i only use rings/amulets i gamble when i craft and for amulets i like to save the +2 magic ones the most. for all other items i craft i also like to use ones that i gamble for but to get magic elites can take a little longer and a lot more gold. gogo goldfind :P

also since hell diablo is the only monster that can drop a +2 amulet the best way to get them is by gambling them. since there are also fewer junk mods in D2C the rares should come out with more useful mods.
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.