Conviction?
I was wondering. I have heard that resist debuff is max at -100 so is there any point in taking conviction to more than 15 points which is -100% resist and -86% defence. What about act bosses wouldn't thay have more than 100 resist? ok thats all for now. I had better stop before I start rambling.

Sirbub
"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mustake"
A monster's resists can't go any lower than -100, just like a player's. But if they were above zero to start with, then Conviction will have to slice that away before it works its way to the -100 cap.

IE - Monster A has resist 0 -> lvl 15 Conviction makes it -100
But Monster B has resist 50 -> lvl 15 Conviction makes it -50

Hence, maxing Conviction is a perfectly viable plan, especially since monsters in Hell can have very high resists. Also, high-level Conviction can break some immunities.

IE - Monster A has resist 0 -> lvl 15 Conviction makes it -100

Ok that makes sence but does it do more damage to monster if he has 0 resist or -100 resist?

Sirbub
"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mustake"
Sirbub,Nov 1 2004, 05:08 PM Wrote:IE - Monster A has resist 0 -> lvl 15 Conviction makes it -100

Ok that makes sence but does it do more damage to monster if he has 0 resist or -100 resist?

Sirbub
[right][snapback]58816[/snapback][/right]

-100 takes twice the damage as 0.

Think of positive resists as subtracting from damage, and negative resists as adding to it.
The main reason people put conviction to level 20 is if they have a duel. FOr an enemy player, It is massacre against an avenger when you have -100 resistances. And some bosses have resists, so level 20 conviction is the only tihng that will do the job, especially in hell.
Sirbub,Nov 1 2004, 12:48 PM Wrote:I was wondering.  I have heard that resist debuff is max at -100 so is there any point in taking conviction to more than 15 points which is -100% resist and -86% defence.  What about act bosses wouldn't thay have more than 100 resist?  ok thats all for now.  I had better stop before I start rambling.

Sirbub
[right][snapback]58812[/snapback][/right]

The best resistance reduction you can get from conviction is -150%, at slvl 25. It's worth having that, since many monsters do have 50% or more resistance. Just don't bother going above slvl 26; you won't get any better resistance reduction past that point, and the defense reduction will improve only minimally.
Also worth pointing out the obvious: -150% Conviction will become -30% vs. elemental immunes (1/5th effectiveness). If you only have -100% Conviction, for example, a CI monster with 120% cold resists will stay CI.

Then again, that CI monster will have laughingly pitiful fire &/or ltng resists after even -100% Conviction :D

P.S: A boss with -92% defense is a beeauuutiful thing to behold :rolleyes:
-- Ryan
Between GW2, AirMech, Firefall and Torchlight 2, who has time for gaming? Smile