Baal charm drops
Hiya's

Ok today I killed hell Baal for the first time with my Zealot and he dropped a Small charm . I had heard these can get some good mods when cubed , so I passed it to my Level 10 cuber . Lucky me , on my third attempt only I cubed a Pestilent small charm of lightning . Mods are 1 - 8 lightning and 175 poison over 6 seconds . What I would like to know is :

what sort of poison damage could one expect on an SC from baal ?

Does cubing with a lvl 10 restrict any high mods I may be able to get ?

What do people normally try to roll with these ?

Is the one I rolled a keeper and just hope to get another to cube ?

Thanks for any replies .
Take care
Raven Vale,Oct 28 2004, 09:42 AM Wrote:Hiya's

Ok today I killed hell Baal for the first time with my Zealot and he dropped a Small charm . I had heard these can get some good mods when cubed , so I passed it to my Level 10 cuber . Lucky me , on my third attempt only I cubed a Pestilent small charm of lightning . Mods are 1 - 8 lightning and 175 poison over 6 seconds . What I would like to know is :

what sort of poison damage could one expect on an SC from baal ?

Does cubing with a lvl 10 restrict any high mods I may be able to get ?

What do people normally try to roll with these ?

Is the one I rolled a keeper and just hope to get another to cube ?

Thanks for any replies .
[right][snapback]58475[/snapback][/right]

Rerolling with 3 perfect gems maintains the ilvl. It doesn't matter who's doing the rerolling.

You got the best single-affix poison small charm. If you want a better one, you'll need both a point prefix and a poison suffix. The best here would be a pestilent small charm of anthrax, at 451 poison damage over 12 seconds. However, there's only a 1/33,397 chance of that, so you can expect to burn an average of about 100,000 perfect gems before you actually get one. Don't plan on it.
since baal drops at an ilvl of 99, his alvl on pretty much all items is 99. Pestilent prefixes need an alvl of 88, so only charms with an lvl of 94 or higher can be cubed to get the pestilent prefix. Of course, there are only two other affixes that are higher than pestilent, so it's not worth trying to hunt for ilvl 94 small charms when baal is always there and has a chance of dropping a lightning damage charm too.

For these small charms, I'd just keep rerolling until you get one you really like. For one, people know you got it off of a really high level monster since it has the pestilent prefix, so it holds a trade value if people want to cube it. Also, 175 poison damage is really good, so if you are desperate for anything, keep it. If you are looking for exeptional poison damage, keep trying for pestilent with a psn suffix. You have about a .02 % chance of getting one of those.

My advise, keep the charm or trade it for something. You can always stack up multiple pestilent small charms and trade them for better dual mods.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Thanks to both of you for the answers , thats a big help , cheers .
Take care
Thanks for the anthrax harm information.I keep trying to make one and I never get one, but I kept trying casue I didnt know they were so hard to make.
Here is a little website that helped me with charms.

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=37325

Happy hunting
Sirbub
"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mustake"
Quote:since baal drops at an ilvl of 99, his alvl on pretty much all items is 99. Pestilent prefixes need an alvl of 88, so only charms with an lvl of 94 or higher can be cubed to get the pestilent prefix. Of course, there are only two other affixes that are higher than pestilent, so it's not worth trying to hunt for ilvl 94 small charms when baal is always there and has a chance of dropping a lightning damage charm too.

Just wondering, what are the other 2 affixes that are higher than "pestilent"? I've never seen a pestilent small charm -- what's the level requirement of this small charm (and also the 2 other highest lvl small charms)?

Another question, aside from Hell Baal, which monsters' small charm drops can be morphed (cubed) into a "pestilent" small charm (if it's possible)?

dta,Nov 20 2004, 12:03 PM Wrote:what are the other 2 affixes that are higher than "pestilent"?
[right][snapback]60566[/snapback][/right]

According to the Affix Calculator that I'm sure I've seen adeyke pimp before, there's 3 others, and they're the other three top-end elemental prefixes: Shocking (1-(44-71) lightning damage, alvl 90); Flaming ((10-19)-(20-29) fire damage, alvl 89); and Hibernal ((8-10)-(15-20)) cold damage, 1 second, alvl 91). I'm afraid that I can never remember the calculation of alvl from ilvl and qlvl, although I believe there's an excel lookup chart somewhere.

Of course, that might well end up telling me that there's one of those prefixes that can't spawn, which would account for adeyke whathuh's "2" ;-)

Edit: own inability to read corrected
You don't know what you're talking about.
lfd,Nov 20 2004, 05:14 AM Wrote:According to the Affix Calculator that I'm sure I've seen adeyke pimp before, there's 3 others, and they're the other three top-end elemental prefixes: Shocking (1-(44-71) lightning damage, alvl 90); Flaming ((10-19)-(20-29) fire damage, alvl 89); and Hibernal ((8-10)-(15-20)) cold damage, 1 second, alvl 91).  I'm afraid that I can never remember the calculation of alvl from ilvl and qlvl, although I believe there's an excel lookup chart somewhere.

Of course, that might well end up telling me that there's one of those prefixes that can't spawn, which would account for adeyke's "2" ;-)
[right][snapback]60568[/snapback][/right]

It was whathuh who said there were two, not me.

All ilvl 99 items have alvl 99. So spawning affixes with alvl 99 or less isn't a problem. It's one with an alvl above 99 that can be impossible to get.
adeyke,Nov 20 2004, 04:17 PM Wrote:It was whathuh who said there were two, not me.

I've gone mad. Apologies for the mis-attribution.

lfd,Nov 20 2004, 12:03 PM Wrote:I'm afraid that I can never remember the calculation of alvl from ilvl and qlvl

And from the same site, this is why I can never remember it.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Correct me if I'm wrong ==> the shocking/flaming/hibernal and pestilent small charms are all spawnable by Hell Baal only (and no other Hell/Champion/Boss monsters can spawn them at all?)

Are these 4 the only ones that are spawnable by Hell Baal or are there other affixed small charm that can be dropped by Hell Baal?
dta,Nov 20 2004, 07:22 PM Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong ==> the shocking/flaming/hibernal and pestilent small charms are all spawnable by Hell Baal only (and no other Hell/Champion/Boss monsters can spawn them at all?)

The five highest-alvl small charm affixes:
Pestilent: alvl 88 => ilvl 94+
Flaming: alvl 89 => ilvl 94+
Shocking: alvl 90 => ilvl 95+
Red: alvl 90 => ilvl 95+
Hibernal: alvl 91 => ilvl 95+

Hell Baal is mlvl 99, hell Nihlathak is 95, hell Diablo is 94, everyone else is lower. So Diablo could spawn the first two on that list, while both Nihlathak and Baal could spawn all five.

Quote:Are these 4 the only ones that are spawnable by Hell Baal or are there other affixed small charm that can be dropped by Hell Baal?
[right][snapback]60617[/snapback][/right]

Baal small charms can have any small charm affix.