Guild Wars weekend
Hello fellow Lurkers,

http://www.guildwars.com/preview/default.html :

Quote:During the last three days of October, players from around the world are invited to play Guild Wars and enjoy a completely new Guild Wars experience.

Given that GW has so far been considered a possible "next step" for this lovely site, my guess is that a few of us should do our duty and (much to our dismay, oh how we dislike playing games :P) download the thing for the Halloween weekend to give it a try (as in: it starts tomorrow).

It's a good thing there's no Halloween here, I'll also be busy with the City of Heroes special event AND of course collecting Halloween furniture and specials in Animal Crossing.

But I disgress.

It'd seem like this could be the last "open" GW event, giving a much better taste of what the game has to offer. I am specially curious to see how true it is that it's skills, not time played, what will determine how well a particular character performs. Well, this is the chance, since in this event players will indeed be able to level their characters and do much more than on the previous showing.

So, anyone else will be there? :)
Walkiry,Oct 28 2004, 08:48 AM Wrote:. . . download the thing for the Halloween weekend to give it a try (as in: it starts tomorrow).
[right][snapback]58456[/snapback][/right]

They've started early again. I was playing about an hour ago. :)
Intolerant monkey.
Walkiry,Oct 28 2004, 08:48 AM Wrote:...
So, anyone else will be there? :)
[right][snapback]58456[/snapback][/right]
Just Dl'd and installed it. I will definately be on tomorrow night after 6pm CST and then some on the weekend.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Oct 28 2004, 12:34 PM Wrote:Just Dl'd and installed it.  I will definately be on tomorrow night after 6pm CST and then some on the weekend.
[right][snapback]58485[/snapback][/right]

Yay, I get to take a peek before I go out of town!

WOOT!

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Treesh,Oct 28 2004, 01:30 PM Wrote:They've started early again.  I was playing about an hour ago.  :)
[right][snapback]58482[/snapback][/right]

Indeed, so have I. I am Corvus Darksteel, a Warrior/Necromancer, on the American server. I'll probably be playing all night tonight (Thursday), and a little around noon tomorrow (Friday.) I'll be gone all weekend, but I'll try to squeeze in some more GW Sunday night.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Oct 28 2004, 08:36 PM Wrote:Indeed, so have I. 

Oh dear.

(Starts downloading)

EDIT: Well, three things:

1. I'm not too convinced about this streaming way of playing, I like to know how much space is needed and stuff.

2. No multimonitor support.

3. Don't try to run it at the same time as City of Heroes (OpenGL game), bad things happen :)
Walkiry,Oct 28 2004, 03:11 PM Wrote:2. No multimonitor support.
[right][snapback]58498[/snapback][/right]

Yes, but at least it doesn't completely freak out when you have a second monitor. I've had games recently just refuse to run when I have my settings set to run my second monitor. So annoying having to shut down the signal to my second monitor when all I want to do is play a game. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Oct 28 2004, 06:01 PM Wrote:Yes, but at least it doesn't completely freak out when you have a second monitor.  I've had games recently just refuse to run when I have my settings set to run my second monitor.  So annoying having to shut down the signal to my second monitor when all I want to do is play a game. ;)
[right][snapback]58518[/snapback][/right]

I've heard of this before, but I don't get around to playing many games anymore, mostly just Diablo II. In your experience, what games don't work on a 2 monitor set up?

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Oct 28 2004, 05:09 PM Wrote:I've heard of this before, but I don't get around to playing many games anymore, mostly just Diablo II.  In your experience, what games don't work on a 2 monitor set up?

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]58520[/snapback][/right]

Let's see (Treesh is my wife)
Battle Realms wouldn't launch
Horizons had major issues, but it ran
Neverwinter Nights runs, but the mouse leaves the game area very easily and is frustrationg so shutting down the 2nd monitor is better for that
Morrowind needed an NVidia driver update to work (probably about 8 to 10 drivers back now though).

Many other games do crazy things with resolutions on the 2nd monitor as well, especially if you aren't running them in the same res. D2 was really bad for this, Diablo does some quite odd things as well.

I can't remember the other ones. FreeSpace2 may have had issues as well. I don't have my second monitor anymore (the little monitor on our third machine died so I put my little 14 inch on there) and Treesh doesn't play as many games as I do so she won't have as much test data.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Treesh,Oct 28 2004, 12:30 PM Wrote:They've started early again.  I was playing about an hour ago.  :)
[right][snapback]58482[/snapback][/right]
Arghhhh... (please excuse the outburst)
I knew this would happen. Why did I have to make an appointment this afternoon? Oh well...

sandwich makings
hot pockets
goldfish crackers
ice
diet sunkist lemonade

Guild Wars here I come... See you Monday! B)

[edit]
Oooohh! The characters from the last event are still there. Nice! I'm downloading the first blast now. There must be a lot of folks trying. The download is going pretty slow. I hope it is just for this initial setup. :huh:

[edit2]
aliases:
Lochnar Stxlauncher
(this space intentionally left blank until I can check and see what the other name was) Ok, got it - Lochnar Lovinlife
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Man, it figures that I'm going to be out of town this weekend. I was hoping to give Guild Wars a shot.

Maybe next time.
Treesh,Oct 28 2004, 05:01 PM Wrote:Yes, but at least it doesn't completely freak out when you have a second monitor.  I've had games recently just refuse to run when I have my settings set to run my second monitor.  So annoying having to shut down the signal to my second monitor when all I want to do is play a game. ;)
[right][snapback]58518[/snapback][/right]

Fair lady, the computer industry cares not for the user, all it cares about is "its art."

Which I am sure you had guessed by now.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I'm playing! Find me online as "Lurker Bolty." How can we all meet each other? Shall we guild up? I purposefully know nothing about this game, taking the "don't read the hype and thus be pleasantly surprised" route.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
YES! I'm in and downloading as we speak.

Lurker Drasca reporting in!
I'll be playing in a minute or two. "Lurker DeeBye". I picked a good day to upgrade my internet to 3.0Mbps.
Drasca,Oct 28 2004, 10:04 PM Wrote:YES! I'm in and downloading as we speak.

Lurker Drasca reporting in!
[right][snapback]58541[/snapback][/right]

If anyone figures out how to start a guild, go nuts. And if anyone figures out how to invert the mouse, TELL ME! (note: if I can't, I can't buy this game. I'll get vertigo every time I think I'm moving the camera down and it goes up instead.)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I'm in! And not knowing about the "Lurker" first name theme, my mezer/necromancer is named "Grizabella Glamour." (And don't give me no lip about confusing you by having a name that reminds you of Griselda here. I used Grizabella for my mage names long before I knew there was someone here named Griselda and I will continue to use the name as it's my favorite name for my spell casters).

The game seems pretty neat, although there is one "reason I will not buy this game" that I've seen already. I couldn't give Grizabella long hair. The horror!
Humm...

Any of you guys figure out how to activate that bridge in the "Rescue the poor conscripted saps, erm, the Chosen" mission? I'm suspecting that there's a plant, similar to the one near the other bridge... Somewhere, that is.
Occhidiangela,Oct 28 2004, 07:10 PM Wrote:Fair lady, the computer industry cares not for the user, all it cares about is "its art."

Which I am sure you had guessed by now.

Occhi
[right][snapback]58534[/snapback][/right]

Reprobate Rogue will try to find Lurker Bolty. I too am rather clueless on the GUI.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I found the guild creation guy. Unfortunately, he wants 50 gold to create a guild. Luckily, it looks like 50 gold isn't as hard to come by as 50 gold in WoW, but as I'm too tired to figure out a new game at the moment, I'm going to wait until tomorrow to really venture off into the world. The game looks neat though.