global warming
Have you noticed a warming in the area where you live?

In Europe,I have noticed that the summers of the new millenium are hotter than those of the 90's;and those of the 90's were,generally,hotter than those of the 80's;there seems to be a global warming of planet Earth,caused by the 'greenhouse effect'.
The summer of 2003 was the hotest I have ever experienced,and roughly,all those summers of the last few years were longer than ever.

I am young,so I can just compare the weathers of the 80's with those of the new millenium;I would like to hear from you if you have noticed a warming in the area where you live (and especially for the older people who can compare the weathers of their youth with the weathers of the new millenium)
According to experts,the global warming may well be irreversible;so,what do you think?
Is there something left to do against this global warming?
Or is it too late?
I don't know about getting hotter, but the weather has gotten much nuttier in the area where I live. Spring and Fall used to have their own weather, now they are the times when hot and cold days get mixed, weather changes much more week to week than usual, and winter and summer don't have constant weather anymore.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Oct 26 2004, 07:48 PM Wrote:I don't know about getting hotter, but the weather has gotten much nuttier in the area where I live.  Spring and Fall used to have their own weather, now they are the times when hot and cold days get mixed, weather changes much more week to week than usual, and winter and summer don't have constant weather anymore.
[right][snapback]58292[/snapback][/right]

I have noticed this also, Minionman.
WWBBD?
Eh.

If you look closely enough for something it will appear.

Not denying the issue of global warming, but the "green house effect" is a hotly debated point. I remember a lecture an enviromental scientist gave; while fielding a question from a student he off handedly mentioned how ludicrous he thinks the green house effect is, before returning to the question.

I remember winters with loads of snow as a kid. I remember a large period of 'little snow' winters during the 90's in New England. But everytime people started murmuring about global warming, we were always nailed with a heavy snowing winter.

The weather and climate of areas naturally change over time. Its entirely possible that the world is getting warmer, but human kind's direct effect on this is questionable.

There are paintings by Dutch and Netherlander artists during the 1600's that show rivers being ice skated on in the winter. Some of these same rivers haven't frozen over in the last 200 years.

Eh, its possible, but I'm not about to draw conclusions about the enigimatic nature of climate change from my measely 20 years of insight.

Cheers,

Munk
I know that in Chicago we have two seasons, Construction and Winter. Here at Purdue in Indiana, we can have all four season in one day. For example, today we had winter in the morning, summer in the afternoon with temps about 70F, and Fall tonight with temps around 35-50F. On the serious side, I have noticed that the weather has been screwy. And it does seem slightly warmer, but I could be wrong. I never remember it being 70 degrees in the fall in Illinois/Indiana.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Why do I get into these? Anyway, yeah I'm convinced global warming is happening. I am not convinced that man has had anything at all to do with it.

First we don't have a lot of actual reliable temperature data. 40 or 50 years is nothing on a geological scale. So we go based on other geological records (ice cores from glaciers and other stuff I don't know enough about). This data as best as we can tell shows a very cyclical pattern to the climate (not weather, climate). There are periods in the Earths history where it was much hotter than now and periods where it was much cooler. Some scientists even believe that we are still not fully out of the last ice age and that the average temperature still needs to go up a few degrees before we even get back to normal.

I've read about and seen several models that chew up a lot of time on supercomputers and fit the data we have nicely. When you heavily weight (i.e. overestimate) the effect of what man has done, they show that what man has done hasn't done much at all. That all the global warming is pretty much just what is happening, man accounts for at most a degree or two of average temp (which yes, is significant, but when you expect 5 to 10 degrees of change it isn't as significant as some think). I believe this side of the science, the support for it is stronger in my mind.

Of course the opposite has been shown. Many people believe that man has a huge effect. Again, I don't, given what we can tell from the millions of years of history and the patterns that were shown then.

Now, do I think we should be controlling what we do to the environment, yes. I would like to see us minimize the output of greenhouse gasses and other minimize other temperature effecting behaviors. But it isn't out of a concern for global warming, it is out of a concern for other factors one of which is a desire for "cleaner" energy usage.

As for my personal oberservations. This has been one of the coolest, temperature wise, summers that I remember. The last 2 winters have been pretty much average. The warmest winter I remember was in the 80's, as I was out barefoot on Christmas in Wisconsin since it was in the 70's, the rest of the winter was rather mild as well. The coldest winter I remember was also in the 80's as well. Every year has had something wacky with it. Of course without really having kept good data, and with how skewed past perception can get, I don't really trust any of that. So, six one way , half a dozen the other.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I just watched The Day After Tomorrow so I'm convinced we are due for an instant Ice Age as of 3pm EST next friday. I'm already buying extra socks and stoking the fire. You'll all be sorry when that -150°f cold air comes shooting down from the stratosphere and freezes you solid in 8 seconds. I'll be ready for it.
DeeBye,Oct 26 2004, 11:28 PM Wrote:I just watched The Day After Tomorrow so I'm convinced we are due for an instant Ice Age as of 3pm EST next friday.  I'm already buying extra socks and stoking the fire.  You'll all be sorry when that -150°f cold air comes shooting down from the stratosphere and freezes you solid in 8 seconds.  I'll be ready for it.
[right][snapback]58321[/snapback][/right]

I'm not only a Canadian, I actually live in North Western Ontario... so if you're right, I'll just kick back and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather.

For those of you who don't know, N.W. Ontario is 17 billion miles wide. There are 13 people who live there. All of whom are named Frank. Even the girl (she's very popular, by the way).

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Oct 27 2004, 12:32 AM Wrote:I'm not only a Canadian, I actually live in North Western Ontario... so if you're right, I'll just kick back and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather.

For those of you who don't know, N.W. Ontario is 17 billion miles wide.  There are 13 people who live there.  All of whom are named Frank.  Even the girl  (she's very popular, by the way).

gekko
[right][snapback]58322[/snapback][/right]

This post is absolutely hilarious! Awesome work.

I laughed so hard a keyboard shot out of my nose and landed in my mug of beer. You owe me a new mug of beer. The keyboard seems to work just fine.

edit: ask Frank if she wants a bus ticket to Southern Ontario. Assuming she's cute, that is. And assuming my wife doesn't find o
Munkay,Oct 27 2004, 01:52 AM Wrote:Eh.

If you look closely enough for something it will appear.

Not denying the issue of global warming, but the "green house effect" is a hotly debated point.  I remember a lecture an enviromental scientist gave; while fielding a question from a student he off handedly mentioned how ludicrous he thinks the green house effect is, before returning to the question.

I remember winters with loads of snow as a kid.  I remember a large period of 'little snow' winters during the 90's in New England.  But everytime people started murmuring about global warming, we were always nailed with a heavy snowing winter.

The weather and climate of areas naturally change over time.  Its entirely possible that the world is getting warmer, but human kind's direct effect on this is questionable.

There are paintings by Dutch and Netherlander artists during the 1600's that show rivers being ice skated on in the winter.  Some of these same rivers haven't frozen over in the last 200 years.

Eh, its possible, but I'm not about to draw conclusions about the enigimatic nature of climate change from my measely 20 years of insight.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]58303[/snapback][/right]

About those Dutch rivers, although I doubt it that the Rhine used to freeze in winter, that is not happening nowadays anymore, but other rivers and lakes still do. Our "elfstedentocht" a 200 km skating marathon over rivers, canals and lakes, was held the last time in 1997. Before that 1986, 1985 and 1963. Not very regularly though. It seems that less and less times it is possible to actually skate a lot here but in can also just be an impression.

About the greenhouse effects and man's input in this. It for sure exists, only Bush paid scientists don't believe it. :D This global warming does not mean that suddenly it gets three degrees warmer, it means a gradual warming up with a fraction of a degree per decade and this for sure is happing. Just look at the capacity of CO2 to absorb IR rays. The concentration of CO2 (we always learned it was about 0.3 %) is slowly increasing in the air, this has to warm the earth. But don't worry, in 50 years all oil is finished and we cannot pollute anymore. Of course also an erupting volcano or the eternally burning coalfields in china (and farts (lots of methane)contribute majorly.
The fact is, it is al equilibrium, you cannot expect to finish all oil in 150 years, and don't expect there to be consequence of that. That plus the decrease of forrests and other plants to absorb CO2.

The consequence can be not just warmer weather, but more strange weather. More hurricanes, more rains, more draughts etc.
gekko,Oct 26 2004, 11:32 PM Wrote:I'm not only a Canadian, I actually live in North Western Ontario... so if you're right, I'll just kick back and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather.

For those of you who don't know, N.W. Ontario is 17 billion miles wide.  There are 13 people who live there.  All of whom are named Frank.  Even the girl  (she's very popular, by the way).

gekko
[right][snapback]58322[/snapback][/right]
And when the Great Plains return to an inland sea, you can come on down to a resort on the ocean front here in Minnesota (unless the USACE try to do the dike thing).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

DeeBye,Oct 27 2004, 04:28 AM Wrote:I just watched The Day After Tomorrow so I'm convinced we are due for an instant Ice Age as of 3pm EST next friday.  I'm already buying extra socks and stoking the fire.  You'll all be sorry when that -150°f cold air comes shooting down from the stratosphere and freezes you solid in 8 seconds.  I'll be ready for it.
[right][snapback]58321[/snapback][/right]

:lol: I just watched "Ice Age" and I am convinced that squirrel lives outside my window ..... :lol:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
pakman,Oct 26 2004, 08:17 PM Wrote:I know that in Chicago we have two seasons, Construction and Winter.[right][snapback]58309[/snapback][/right]

Correction. In Chicago we have all four seasons... sometimes within the same day.
See you in Town,
-Z
About a 1000 years ago Europe was warmer than now. Current temps my not denote anything important in the long term.

It may be because of "green house gas" or it might be a natural cycle.

Zarathustra,Oct 27 2004, 11:35 AM Wrote:Correction.  In Chicago we have all four seasons... sometimes within the same day.
[right][snapback]58378[/snapback][/right]

Statistics people are trying to figure out how to tell the seasons apart, based on average temperatures and such.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)