What cause this?
HI, I just finished off Diablo in Hell and he did not even make me use a potion. I am L83 druid. He only killed my bear twice (I did not summon a new the second time).

BTW I stood toe to toe the whole time.

So how come 3 or 4 times I ran into a few Doom Knights (I think they all were) and bam, got dropped to humqan form and was nearly dead?

They never did kill me, but it was close. They also once killed my bear real fast? What type of attack was it?

My main source of dmg is from Adrioc's Needle a hyperion spear. It does 359 dmg very fast attack and adds 4 to all skill levels. Ignore target def, 50% deadly strike and +393 poison, oh and 30% IAS.

This puts my fury attack at 1500 to over 3K.
just a hunch, but you didnt have IM cast on you? kinda easy question, but hey, we've all been there once.
[Image: DakkonBlackblade.jpg]

"My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins." - Dakkon Blackblade, Memoirs
Makes sense, I guess I was wondering, because I had not seen that much of an affect before.

I see why, now. I did not have the ability to use this weapon until recently, so now I do a lot more dmg.

It also explains why if I did not attack, it did no real dmg to me. Is it recognized by the red dots in a square?
vmxa,Oct 26 2004, 02:54 PM Wrote:Is it recognized by the red dots in a square?
[right][snapback]58263[/snapback][/right]

Picture from the Arreat Summit of IM in effect

If you get close to the Oblivion Knights that cast it, they will instead cast Decrepify, which is nasty, but not as deadly.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Well if they were spellcasters, they might have used iron maiden on you and since you attqack quickly, you killed yourself. Otherwise you have low health or your resists are really bad :P
MikethemizJR,Oct 26 2004, 05:13 PM Wrote:Well if they were spellcasters, they might have used iron maiden on you and since you attqack quickly, you killed yourself. Otherwise you have low health or your resists are really bad  :P
[right][snapback]58268[/snapback][/right]

Okay, he just said straight out he creamed Diablo without any need to heal. If he had resist or health problems, he wouldn't have lasted more than a few seconds.

Oh, and try reading the topic next time before you answer a question that's already been answered.
ShadowHM,Oct 26 2004, 01:05 PM Wrote:Picture from the Arreat Summit of IM in effect

If you get close to the Oblivion Knights that cast it, they will instead cast Decrepify, which is nasty, but not as deadly.
[right][snapback]58265[/snapback][/right]

Cool, thanks. Thanks to all for the responses.
Also, if Diablo used a lot of lightning fury you might have gotten a break. Lightning fury in nightmare and hell doesn't hit things that are too close, both you and the bear are close combat, so that might be having an effect.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Hiya , I have encountered the problem with my druid too , now with any other Melee character IM helps kill myself immediately , but with a druid I experienced the same thing as you , I change back to druid and go to nearly zero HP's , I do not know what causes this , things have been a bit too frantic in the chaos sanctuary to make any sort of judgement call , but has happened quite a few times .Why would the druid escape IM death , when no other character does ?
Take care
With druid in a bear or wolf forum, when he reaches 1 HP, he transforms back to his own person, with 1 hp, it is a life saver...otherwise, u'd just be dead.
The way to 'ignore' IM is to use weapon with middling damage and and stack up on crushing blows ( well at least it worked in 1.09 :P Have not tried in 1.10 yet. )
I ran rampant with a druid all over chaos sanctuary like this ignoring Iron Maiden and it never dropped me below 75% life.
ldw,Oct 27 2004, 12:28 PM Wrote:The way to 'ignore' IM is to use weapon with middling damage and and stack up on crushing blows ( well at least it worked in 1.09  :P  Have not tried in 1.10 yet. )
I ran rampant with a druid all over chaos sanctuary like this ignoring Iron Maiden and it never dropped me below 75% life.
[right][snapback]58363[/snapback][/right]

Doesn't work in 1.10 - IM is just too powerful now.
Zingydex,Oct 28 2004, 01:54 AM Wrote:Doesn't work in 1.10 - IM is just too powerful now.
[right][snapback]58369[/snapback][/right]

Interesting... must try it again :) ... now that oak sage can be fully-pumped also :D
ldw,Oct 28 2004, 11:52 AM Wrote:Interesting... must try it again :) ... now that oak sage can be fully-pumped also  :D
[right][snapback]58463[/snapback][/right]

AFAIK, you can't leech from CB damage, and the damage you do to yourself via IM will far outstrip any leech you have anyway.
Zingydex,Oct 29 2004, 02:24 AM Wrote:AFAIK, you can't leech from CB damage, and the damage you do to yourself via IM will far outstrip any leech you have anyway.
[right][snapback]58481[/snapback][/right]

What I was subtly alluding to is that the leech is not really consequential (unless there is so much damage being dealt to you from other sources in CS.. e.g. oblivion knight elemental/magic attacks etc.).

This source here basically says that CB does not add add to total physical damage dealt by character.

Edit: Also found this

So apparently one won't trigger IM by CB "effect" nor will IM get "multiplied" so
Leech is obviously pegged to the "real" damage (off the weapon + skills + stats + "+damage" items etc.)

This was exactly my experience in 1.09d.
Druid had huge life. Low IM effect as long as weapon is not too-powerfull (CB was a bunus for me there allowing to lesser exposure by killing more efficiently).

In fact the only difference I can see between 1.09d & 1.10 CB is that /players x
(or large realm game) does not scale anymore. That affects exposure-time safety only nothing to do with IM-suicide. Not like I run /players 8 in hell anyway ... :rolleyes:

However one must ask if IM level cast in 1.09d and 1.10 by monsters in same area is the same slvl. Well.. maybe in hell it's not :(
ldw,Nov 8 2004, 10:55 AM Wrote:However one must ask if IM level cast in 1.09d and 1.10 by monsters in same area is the same slvl. Well.. maybe in hell it's not  :(
[right][snapback]59633[/snapback][/right]

It's higher. Much higher. Many melee characters (including barbs and druids) can kill themselves in one swing with IM on. I've done it to myself, and my barb's damage is pretty crummy even all together, let alone just the physical component.
Zingydex,Nov 8 2004, 07:37 AM Wrote:It's higher.  Much higher.  Many melee characters (including barbs and druids) can kill themselves in one swing with IM on.  I've done it to myself, and my barb's damage is pretty crummy even all together, let alone just the physical component.
[right][snapback]59637[/snapback][/right]

I really don't see what the big deal is with IM. The only character I've ever had kill himself in the CS or anywhere else to IM was a zealot and softcore to boot so I wasn't exactly trying to avoid it.

Just activate the Oblivion Knights, let them burn their initial curses, and kill them. Very rarely do they chain cast curses, and if you're in close melee with them they almost always hit your with decrep.

Be aware of what's around you, take out the OKs first, and don't start a swingin' when you've got the swirly orange mojo.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
I think that the druid skill "Hunger" would work great against IM. Never tried it before tho...