Shock or Ice pal. What would you do?
Hello all

I was thinking on working on a elemental zealot and cant deside which I want Holy Freeze or Holy shock. I am pretty sure I want to use a CMoon or my weapon even if I use Ice but heres the other stats.

20 Sacrifice
20 Zeal
20 Holy Freeze or Holy Shock
20 Ressist Cold or Resist Lightning
rest probly Holy shield

Laters
Sirbub
"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mustake"
Sirbub,Oct 24 2004, 04:19 PM Wrote:Hello all

I was thinking on working on a elemental zealot and cant deside which I want Holy Freeze or Holy shock.  I am pretty sure I want to use a CMoon or my weapon even if I use Ice but heres the other stats.
20 Sacrifice
20 Zeal
20 Holy Freeze or Holy Shock
20 Ressist Cold or Resist Lightning
rest probly Holy shield
Laters
Sirbub
[right][snapback]58050[/snapback][/right]

You could try doing both :) My favorite character of LOD was:

20 Holy Shock
20 Resist Lightning
20 Holy Freeze
20 Resist Cold

Add some Holy shield and a defiance merc, and you're good to go. One key is to get a 4 frame zeal without fanaticism. ITD (I also used a crescent moon phase) is the other thing you need to make this work.

What you'll sacrifice over picking just one element is physical damage and AR. What you'll gain is that you'll have 3 types of damage (cold, physical, and lightning). With the superb defensive capabilities of the paladin, you may not be the fastest killer out there, but you have almost nothing to fear.
Steak or chicken? I'm definitely leaning towards meat, but I can't figure out which one I want. Regardless of which I choose, I'll probably be using a long-handled spork. So, what do you think?
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Hi

Since you can get Holy Frost from a Merc or from using Doom why invest points in it?
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Assur,Oct 25 2004, 03:56 PM Wrote:Hi

Since you can get Holy Frost from a Merc or from using Doom why invest points in it?
[right][snapback]58150[/snapback][/right]

If a merc has HF, it won't add any cold damage to the character's attack. If you have Doom, you only get a slvl 12 HF, which is much lower than you'd have with actual point investments and +skills gear.
If you are trying to make a zealot with no fanaticism, it is not easy. For once, you dont get the fantastic damage bonus of fanaticism. And to attack as fast as a regular zealot WITHOUT fanat, you will need A LOT of increased atk speed. If you want to make a "frost" zealot, Then have fanaticism and use thedoom runeword, which gives holy freeze. If you want a holy shock zealot, You will have to give up fanaticism. Or at least a high level of it. If you want a Holy shock zealot, Use holy shock as your main aura and use a beast runeword legendary mallet. That gives level 9 fanat and 40 increased attack speed so you wont have to worry about higher levels of fanaticism.
MikethemizJR,Oct 26 2004, 07:03 AM Wrote:If you want to make a "frost" zealot, Then have fanaticism and use thedoom runeword, which gives holy freeze.

If you want a Holy shock zealot, Use holy shock as your main aura and use a beast runeword legendary mallet. \

[right][snapback]58221[/snapback][/right]

So your point is: If you don't have a Ber/Um/Mal/Lum/Ohm/Lo/Cham set around don't bother making one of these characters :huh: ?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

MikethemizJR,Oct 26 2004, 07:03 AM Wrote:If you are trying to make a zealot with no fanaticism, it is not easy. For once, you dont get the fantastic damage bonus of fanaticism. And to attack as fast as a regular zealot WITHOUT fanat, you will need A LOT of increased atk speed. If you want to make a "frost" zealot, Then have fanaticism and use thedoom runeword, which gives holy freeze. If you want a holy shock zealot, You will have to give up fanaticism. Or at least a high level of it. If you want a Holy shock zealot, Use holy shock as your main aura and use a beast runeword legendary mallet. That gives level 9 fanat and 40 increased attack speed so you wont have to worry about higher levels of fanaticism.

I beg to differ with this opinion about 'frost zealots' and 'shock zealots'. If you are not aware, often such zealots end up using phase blades. 75% IAS with a Phase is enough to reach a 4 frame zeal. Such unreasonable equipment as you specify is certainly not necessary. In fact, you will find that playing a shockadin or frost zealot is actually *less* equipment dependant than a fanatic zealot--much of your damage comes from the aura, not your weapon. My shockadin used the skewer of krintz all the way up till hell, and even in hell occasionally when facing Obliv Knights.

My Frost Zealot (HCL guardian BTW) is simply using a rare phase blade. He does fine in hell, though of course I must be careful, as any melee pally in 1.10 must.

My Shockadin is also a guardian, though deceased, and finished the game with a lightsabre. I never could find a 3 socket phase. Crescent moon is simply the ultimate shockadin weapon.

As to the choice between them, having played both to guardianship, I'd have to say that they are fairly equal. The shockadin will get higher average damage, but the frost zealot simply has an easier time surviving. The shockadin relies on killing the monsters before they kill him, and the frost zealot weakens all monsters while still being able to kill at decent speed. The best trick is learning to gauge how much you can handle. As a melee paladin, how fast you can kill the enemy must always be balanced against how fast they can kill you. You may be able to kill that pack of minotaurs fairly quickly, but just a couple of critical hits will spell the end for a melee paladin. In this regard I think a frost zealot has the advantage. You have more reaction time when all the monsters are slowed by over 50%.

I would definitely suggest having an alternate attack type as well for each of these characters. Both of mine maxed zeal+sacrifice and used a might merc to up their physical damage, and did fine once they found a fast weapon. Your skill description fits exactly what I have used in the past, and is definitely workable.
Baajikiil,Oct 26 2004, 08:06 AM Wrote:I beg to differ with this opinion about 'frost zealots' and 'shock zealots'.  If you are not aware, often such zealots end up using phase blades.  75% IAS with a Phase is enough to reach a 4 frame zeal.  Such unreasonable equipment as you specify is certainly not necessary.  In fact, you will find that playing a shockadin or frost zealot is actually *less* equipment dependant than a fanatic zealot--much of your damage comes from the aura, not your weapon.  My shockadin used the skewer of krintz all the way up till hell, and even in hell occasionally when facing Obliv Knights.
[right][snapback]58241[/snapback][/right]

Now why didn't I think of that? <smacks self>

I always pulled out some throwing weapons when the Oblivion Knights were around, but the skewer
would have been much better...

And with a crescent moon phase blade, you only need to obtain 55% more IAS --it is really not difficult at all to obtain that 4 frame zeal if you are using a phase blade as you say.
MikethemizJR,Oct 26 2004, 09:03 AM Wrote:If you are trying to make a zealot with no fanaticism, it is not easy. For once, you dont get the fantastic damage bonus of fanaticism. And to attack as fast as a regular zealot WITHOUT fanat, you will need A LOT of increased atk speed. If you want to make a "frost" zealot, Then have fanaticism and use thedoom runeword, which gives holy freeze. If you want a holy shock zealot, You will have to give up fanaticism. Or at least a high level of it. If you want a Holy shock zealot, Use holy shock as your main aura and use a beast runeword legendary mallet. That gives level 9 fanat and 40 increased attack speed so you wont have to worry about higher levels of fanaticism.

I vote we file this guy under "godly cookie-cutter obsession".

Much as you might not believe it, Mike, there ARE people who can play effectively without "perfect" equipment/skill placement.
adeyke,Oct 26 2004, 12:56 AM Wrote:If a merc has HF, it won't add any cold damage to the character's attack.&nbsp; If you have Doom, you only get a slvl 12 HF, which is much lower than you'd have with actual point investments and +skills gear.
[right][snapback]58175[/snapback][/right]

Hi

I agree with you that a Pala with a decent equipment and synergies outclasses a HF-Merc any day of the week. My point is that a pure Shocktrooper does even more damage and the HF-Merc is ideal for crowdcontrol and dealing with PILI monsters, and since the HF-Merc can be hired, he is so much easier to get than Doom :D , and no item or merc can give you Holy Shock a Shocktrooper combined with a HF-Merc is an ideal combination.

@Baajikill Skewer of Krinitz is nice but have you ever tried a Shocktrooper in Punching Pala mode? B)

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”