The State of Higher Education
Printed in the LCC Lookout:

"C.Q.I. breakfast program presents, "Contending with aliteracy and its impact on work-place performance"....This program presents the case that aliteracy is on the rise, that reading skills of workers are declining and that conventional, text-heavy instructors are less effective than ever."

Barring the rather frightening punctuation...that is probably the most, eh, creative way I've ever seen to spell "illiteracy".
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Is this article found online? I would have loved to show this to my teachers. (I'm taking a masters degree in literacy studies.)

On the subject presented, there are compulsory courses in basic writing for university students in Scotland. Apparently, professors have not put any emphasis on grammar or style in undergraduate papers, so when students get take a higher education, they have no idea how to write proper English.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,Oct 20 2004, 08:41 AM]Is this article found online? I would have loved to show this to my teachers. (I'm taking a masters degree in literacy studies.)

On the subject presented, there are compulsory courses in basic writing for university students in Scotland. Apparently, professors have not put any emphasis on grammar or style in undergraduate papers, so when students get take a higher education, they have no idea how to write proper English.
[right][snapback]57785[/snapback][/right]

Google Fu! Here it is.

Seems to be in Merriam-Webster and describes the condition of being uninterested in reading.
About "aliteracy".

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."

-- Mark Twain
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Spelling fascists are cool.
Ghostiger,Oct 20 2004, 08:36 AM Wrote:Spelling fascists are cool.
[right][snapback]57788[/snapback][/right]

That's "Grammar-Nazi"; we don't limit ourselves to the spelling.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.