Any runners?
Hello,

I was curious as to how many of us here at the Lounge like to run, jog, or walk on a regular basis. I used to run, and I was fairly fast too, my average mile time was 6:43 for 5-6 miles. I took about a 3 year break, so I am a bit slower now, haha. :) I am trying to pick it back up again, and get back into weight lifting.

So, who runs, jogs, or walks? How far? How long?
WWBBD?
I only run when someone is chasing me.
Yrrek,Oct 19 2004, 07:44 PM Wrote:So, who runs, jogs, or walks? How far? How long?
[right][snapback]57757[/snapback][/right]

I hike in the summertime, on the Bruce Trail. The average hike is 5 km, with varying degrees of ruggedness.

In the winters I swim regularly instead. Gotta make up for the hours sitting on my butt whilst slaying monsters, eh?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Yrrek,Oct 20 2004, 12:44 AM Wrote:Hello,

I was curious as to how many of us here at the Lounge like to run, jog, or walk on a regular basis. I used to run, and I was fairly fast too, my average mile time was 6:43 for 5-6 miles. I took about a 3 year break, so I am a bit slower now, haha.  :) I am trying to pick it back up again, and get back into weight lifting.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with running. On one I hand I love to do it on the other hand it is always difficult to leave the house. (especially because I leave in the center of my city). At the moment I run 3 times a week something like 3 to 4 km. I am happy about it because if I start to run longer, I ussually get a"shin splint", this inflamation of the membranes around the bone..which is really anoying and takes ages to get rid of.

I used to run everything up to half a marathon (1h 27 min). 5 km (under 18 min) and 10 km (38 min) were my favorite. I was never able to train hard for more than half a year because of this injury. Hopefully, since I now run for a year allready in a bit slower pace my injury will not bother me anymore.
eppie,Oct 20 2004, 09:51 AM Wrote:... I am happy about it because if I start to run longer, I ussually get a"shin splint", this inflamation of the membranes around the bone..which is really anoying and takes ages to get rid of.

There is a very simple and quick solution in preventing shin splints. It is an exercise similar to toe tapping: While standing (or sitting) keep the heel of your foot on the ground and slowly lift your toes toward your knee. If you can apply resistance to the top of your foot this is even better, but even without resistance you only need to do about 30 repetitions per day. Shin splints are caused by a muscle imbalance. This simple daily exercise is enough to maintain the balance.
Xiuhcoatl,Oct 20 2004, 01:14 PM Wrote:There is a very simple and quick solution in preventing shin splints. It is an exercise similar to toe tapping: While standing (or sitting) keep the heel of your foot on the ground and slowly lift your toes toward your knee. If you can apply resistance to the top of your foot this is even better, but even without resistance you only need to do about 30 repetitions per day. Shin splints are caused by a muscle imbalance. This simple daily exercise is enough to maintain the balance.
[right][snapback]57782[/snapback][/right]

He thanks for the tip. I am already using special soles inside my running shoes to correct the way I land my feet on the ground. Instead of rolling from heel to toes, I land on the outsidepart of my feet and then the rest of the feet. So every time I make a step the tendons attachment gets a pull (in the wrong way).
Anyway I will use this exercise. At the moment I'm sitting behind the computer all day so I have enough time to do it. (I guess more than 30 times is still okay?)
Yrrek,Oct 20 2004, 12:44 AM Wrote:Hello,

I was curious as to how many of us here at the Lounge like to run, jog, or walk on a regular basis. I used to run, and I was fairly fast too, my average mile time was 6:43 for 5-6 miles. I took about a 3 year break, so I am a bit slower now, haha.  :) I am trying to pick it back up again, and get back into weight lifting.

Well, I run on a fairly regular basis - about 3 times a week. Before I used to run about 8km, but I never timed myself so I can't tell you how long it took. I only run about 3km now though, because I just started on a new job which results in me being really tired once I get off work.
Anyways, my father in law just bought me a new pair of running shoes, so I'm planning to up the distance and speed as soon as I've gotten used to my new working hours.

Over and out
Yrrek,Oct 19 2004, 06:44 PM Wrote:Hello,

Used to run about 17 miles per week. Not lately. Will be getting back into it, slowly.

Hurts as ya get older. Used to be a member of a very active and fun club called the Hash House Harriers. A bunch of drinkers with a running problem. We'd run on the bi weekly runs (semi monthly?) 4-6 m iles with beer at the end, and sometimes in the middle. At least that was worth the effort. Then we'd have a kangaroo court and sing drinking and rugby songs, and hash songs.

Much fun, and way more fun than the sterile "fun runs" attended by so many yuppies.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Used to run (6-7 months ago) about 4 miles, 5 to 6 times a week. I didn't run very hard about 7:30 minute miles, this is all on treadmills. Ran a couple of short races (10-12K) in 2003, with incorrect running shoes. This resulted in "Heel Spurs" on both feet (I have flat feet and "over pronate"). Finally decided to stop and let them heal. Heels spurs are notorious for taking a long time to heal. I just strated doing vey easy short runs a few times a week to "test the waters".
Signature? What do you mean?
More than 30 times a day is fine. You don't have to worry about over-working the muscles in your shins as they will never over power your calf muscles unless you never walk or run again. ;)
I am also hoping to pick up running more. I used to have bad knees, but every time I have run recently, my legs have been fine, so that is a plus. I suspect it was growing pains, and since I haven't grown in a while, I should be through with that. I also am starting to lift weights again! :)
WWBBD?
I used to run and lift casually in my high school years as part of training for the basketball team and the odd spot of track, but in my first year of university I decided to devote more time to training/competing in cross country. I used to run 5km in 15:30 minutes and a bit, training was varied, with anything from relaxed sessions of 20 km to more intense sessions of hills/sprints. I only did this for the one year - these days I compete in different sports and only run enough to develop an adequate cardio base which I then refine to a more specific kind of fitness.

In any case, are you running and lifting to get better at a particular activity or just for the sake of health? Regardless, hopefully you've been looking at specific types of training/diet for whatever your goals are, you'll be surprised at how different the approaches are and how detrimental the wrong approach can be.

Oh yes, and speaking of detriment, just a friendly reminder to please take care of your body as you will have to live with the consequences of anything silly you do while pushing your limits. This is coming from someone who is only in their mid-twenties and I can tell you now that I often feel twinges and pangs that aren't just regret!

- Hal
No no, the only sports I participate in now are karate and skiing. I am running and lifting for the health benefits/fun factor. :D
WWBBD?
I go running every other day and usually run in the range of 2 to 3 miles when I do so. Any more than that and I tend to get shin splints so I just stick with what I can handle. I also lift weights afteward and am starting to go swimming on the off days. :)
-TheDragoon
It is nice to see all of your Lurkers trying to stay fit! Not many people care for that these days....
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Oct 20 2004, 12:44 AM Wrote:So, who runs, jogs, or walks? How far? How long?
I'm running/jogging for many years now. I had a break of 2 years about 10 years ago when I jobbed as construction/concrete worker for an oil company (which is a very hard job with loads of overtime), but otherwise I can't remember a week that I didn't run/jogg a least one time. I'm currently running 3 to 4 times a week, of which 1 to 2 training units are "power-joggs" over a long distance of at least 10 kilometers through the grass along a riverside here, and the other units are fast runs over a distance of about 7 kilometers though our city streets (by the late evening, when almost no cars are underway anymore). I consider the most important aspect of running a good technique that protects your knees and feet. If someone wants to start a runner/jogger "career" over many years, she/he should by all means work on a good running technique first to prevent future long-termed damages on the bones, joints (hip, knee) and tendons. And the older you are, the more you should care for a good technique. If it hurts somewhere after a run, it's usually a bad technique. I personally am a fore-/middle-foot runner (almost similar to sprinting style) with much damping muscle/tendon work to prevent overload in the knees, which are the most fragile zone if you run for many years. Also make sure that you don't get overtrained. If you feel exhausted after a hard run, then pause for two days, and don't forget to always warm up yourself slowly. I'm also a lacto-vegetarian, which fits perfectly if you are a runner :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I used to walk and run a lot before a motorcycle accident;I had a serious accident,my knee was broken;I couldn't walk for 2 months,and couldn't run for 6-7 months;when you can't walk or run anymore,you then realize how lucky you were to be able to walk and run;now,I use to run and walk more than ever,because I know how lucky I am to be able to do it,which most of the people consider to be a normal thing of life,something 'granted'.
Running,walking a lot is part of life;it makes you feel better and healthier;there is nothing to lose,and much to gain.