Where Things Are Going
Xyngynkynyn,Nov 12 2004, 03:48 AM Wrote:I hope these renderings will help the Lounge in its decision as to what the top 3 logos are.
[right][snapback]59996[/snapback][/right]
To add some weight into an opposite direction, I must speak for my preference of logo's #5 on both counts. The use of the double L to create the eye itself is in my opinion far more elegant and subtle than simply adding in the LL to the image as plaintext.

As opposed as to the others, these are logo's that would scale excellent even to the smallest proportions, without losing their clarity. They could even be used as a favourite icon for the site, not to mention that they would look better animated than the others, imho.

Just my two cents :)
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
Bolty, I wish you good luck with all the upcoming improvements (people tend to give the term "changes" a bad taste)! Mambo is a very robust and easy to use CMS; with it you should have a good fundament to start from. :)

Best wishes,
Elegantly
Elegantly,Nov 22 2004, 01:58 PM Wrote:Bolty, I wish you good luck with all the upcoming improvements (people tend to give the term "changes" a bad taste)! Mambo is a very robust and easy to use CMS; with it you should have a good fundament to start from. :)
[right][snapback]60784[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, Elegantly!

I'm thinking now that perhaps it would be best if the site were set up and templated with just the logo image missing. Then we can think about what to slap up in the space where it should go. It's just too hard to pick anything without a frame of reference.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Well with only a week to go until December, here's a sample with the final 6 based on feedback.

[Image: last_logo_sample.jpg]

I've already sent the Adobe custom shape files to Bolty (I was going to send him WMF files until I realized Adobe Photoshop doesn't work with that format). I think that at this point in time, it's time for Bolty to decide on the logo so if any one else has some last minute "2 cents worth" they'd like to put in, now's the time to do so.

LochnarITB,Nov 18 2004, 01:56 PM Wrote:Would it be possible to try the second L on top instead of the first?  It seems to feel somewhat out of order to see the left-hand one on top but I think that its lower limb might get lost if it was underneath.
[right][snapback]60409[/snapback][/right]

Okay that would be #3.
Peace,
Xyngynkynyn
Xyngynkynyn,Nov 23 2004, 09:55 PM Wrote:Okay that would be #3.
[right][snapback]61043[/snapback][/right]
I do prefer the second L on top. Very nice work, as usual, but I think that these mock ups illustrate one more thing to be considered. Any use of the logo needs to be close to flat. The previous use of the logo used only beveled edge type 3D. With this set, they now have a true feeling of depth. However, in doing so, the Ls get lost in the shadows. Is that what others are seeing too?

Good luck in your choice Bolty. No pressure but remember that the logo you pick now will represent your enterprise to the world. You need to think in terms of your little refuge here now and on to the mega corporation the the Lounge is sure to become over the next 100 years. :D
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I like either 2 or 3.
Xyngynkynyn,Nov 23 2004, 07:55 PM Wrote:Well with only a week to go until December, here's a sample with the final 6 based on feedback.

http://www.mydestiny.net/~rfl1214/web_imag...logo_sample.jpg

I've already sent the Adobe custom shape files to Bolty (I was going to send him WMF files until I realized Adobe Photoshop doesn't work with that format). I think that at this point in time, it's time for Bolty to decide on the logo so if any one else has some last minute "2 cents worth" they'd like to put in, now's the time to do so.
Okay that would be #3.
[right][snapback]61043[/snapback][/right]

I definitely vote 5. As Lochnar noted, the addition of a drop shadow makes logos 1-4 almost illegible. I think this is symptomatic of the sort of problem we'd encounter in the future using such an intricate and finely-lined design. #5 will hold up far better than the others when flattened, reduced to monochrome, shrunk or expanded, made 3d, etc. Though I like the style of the other "eye" images, this just seems to make a lot more sense from a design standpoint.
LochnarITB,Nov 24 2004, 06:38 AM Wrote:I do prefer the second L on top.
[right][snapback]61065[/snapback][/right]

I much prefer the first L on top (as in numbers 2 and 4). It somehow feels more natural when reading from left to right...
Walkiry,Nov 24 2004, 05:01 AM Wrote:I much prefer the first L on top (as in numbers 2 and 4). It somehow feels more natural when reading from left to right...
[right][snapback]61091[/snapback][/right]
But, if you're going left to right, the second has to be on top. You put down the first L (left) then comes the second (right) which is on top unless you lift the first to tuck the second one under. :P
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
unless,Nov 24 2004, 03:31 PM Wrote:I definitely vote 5.  As Lochnar noted, the addition of a drop shadow makes logos 1-4 almost illegible.  I think this is symptomatic of the sort of problem we'd encounter in the future using such an intricate and finely-lined design.  #5 will hold up far better than the others when flattened, reduced to monochrome, shrunk or expanded, made 3d, etc.  Though I like the style of the other "eye" images, this just seems to make a lot more sense from a design standpoint.
[right][snapback]61077[/snapback][/right]

The problems in 1-4 are evident because this sample is "quick-and-dirty". ;) I basically applied the same effects with the same settings across all 6 logos so that they could (theoretically) be judged equally but it seems I goofed on that matter. Here's a re-do of that one with the drop shadows closer to the objects.

[Image: last_logo_sample_2.jpg]

This oversight on my part does illustrate that 1-4 need greater care when manipulated compared to 5 and 6 but I still believe in my previous stance that the technical aspects of manipulating the design should be secondary to the aesthetics when it comes to choosing one.
Peace,
Xyngynkynyn
LochnarITB,Nov 24 2004, 09:42 PM Wrote:But, if you're going left to right, the second has to be on top.  You put down the first L (left) then comes the second (right) which is on top unless you lift the first to tuck the second one under.  :P
[right][snapback]61138[/snapback][/right]

No no, it's like reading a book, you read the first page, then flip it and read the next. Same for the Ls, the first one is on top because it's the first thing you read, then the second one, which is behind it :)
Bolty,Oct 19 2004, 03:44 PM Wrote:I'm going to make a mistake and go on record here with my current plans for this website, so you can be aware of them and get on my case if I fall behind.  So here goes:

As we all know, Diablo II is far along on the winding-down of popularity scale which occurs for all games; as they get older, all but the most die-hards move on to newer games.  [right][snapback]57727[/snapback][/right]

Hello Bolty,

I'd like you esp to answer my questions pls:
Is Diablo 2 going to be given up ? will you end diablo 2 forums for good?
If so, the d2 community would lose much (losing some members,losing d2 tips,all the precious knowledge around d2 lost )
Sorry if my question is already answered in this thread,but I didn't 'feel like' reading all those posts;I feel I am going to lose a community I really appreciate,and move on to another friendly site
Abramelin,Nov 25 2004, 03:09 PM Wrote:Hello Bolty,

I'd like you esp  to answer my questions pls:
Is Diablo 2 going to be given up ? will you end diablo 2 forums for good?
If so, the d2 community would lose much (losing some members,losing d2 tips,all the precious knowledge around d2 lost )
Sorry if my question is already answered in this thread,but I didn't 'feel like' reading all those posts;I feel I am going to lose a community I really appreciate,and move on to another friendly site
[right][snapback]61229[/snapback][/right]
Well, if you look further down the forum, you'll see that there's still a Diablo 1 forum and a Diablo 1 main site as well, thanks to Lemming. :)

Whether or not a community "dies" here depends on the posters and volunteers willing to devote time to keeping up the content. Refrigerator has been great with updating the Diablo II section of the site, and the forums for D2 are still alive and kicking.

I don't see the D2 community going anywhere.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
This is largely unrelated, but is there some way to make the forums start in a view other than Outline (Standard in particular) right after I've cleared my cookies and am coming back for the first time?

Arnath
Arnath,Dec 1 2004, 06:50 PM Wrote:This is largely unrelated, but is there some way to make the forums start in a view other than Outline (Standard in particular) right after I've cleared my cookies and am coming back for the first time?

Arnath
[right][snapback]61697[/snapback][/right]

I believe information of that nature (ie patron preference for viewing the forums) is stored in cookies on your machine.
Xyngynkynyn,Nov 24 2004, 07:21 PM Wrote:The problems in 1-4 are evident because this sample is "quick-and-dirty".  ;)  I basically applied the same effects with the same settings across all 6 logos so that they could (theoretically) be judged equally but it seems I goofed on that matter. Here's a re-do of that one with the drop shadows closer to the objects.

[Image: last_logo_sample_2.jpg]

This oversight on my part does illustrate that 1-4 need greater care when manipulated compared to 5 and 6 but I still believe in my previous stance that the technical aspects of manipulating the design should be secondary to the aesthetics when it comes to choosing one.
[right][snapback]61157[/snapback][/right]

I've got to say, the #6 Black Raised from that group looks the best to me. As stated before: it still gives that "searching eye" idea credit, without being as blunt as the LL's in the middle of an eye itself.

Although...sitting here an idea just struck me: One of the normal eyes that, on a loop, the inner circle spins forming the LL letters inside of an "orb" before slowing into a normal flat disk.

Not sure how that would pan out, but it is just a cuff of the moment idea anyway :-D
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Just an update:

We're about 2 weeks away, folks.

-Bolty
Bolty,Dec 5 2004, 06:27 PM Wrote:Just an update:

-Bolty
[right][snapback]61961[/snapback][/right]

Dun DUN DUUUUUUUUN.

Sorry, couldn't resist ^_^
Bolty,Dec 5 2004, 05:27 PM Wrote:Just an update:

-Bolty
[right][snapback]61961[/snapback][/right]
Why not put addsnks in order to pay the cost of the website? There's no shame to have one's website fully or partly paid by addsnks.at least that's what I would do if I had a website which would cost a lot of money.Is there a reason ?
Abramelin,Dec 13 2004, 05:38 PM Wrote:Why not put addsnks in order to pay the cost of the website? There's no shame to have one's website fully or partly paid by addsnks.at least that's what I would do if I had a website which would cost a lot of money.Is there a reason ?
[right][snapback]62750[/snapback][/right]

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Bolty already said something about this, though I could easily be wrong. Seeing ad-banners on the lounge would just seem a little "off" to me, but that isnt saying that I don't understand why they would be there in the first place.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"