Objects and drops
whathuh,Oct 27 2004, 03:52 PM Wrote:Their site sure is barbaric.  I used to use it all the time until I realized how awful the data representation is.  Then again, AS got a major upgrade too, leaving diabloii.net in the dust.  Their diablo2 cube recipies page for 1.10 shows tempering recipies...
[right][snapback]58398[/snapback][/right]

You know, the cube pages on the AS annoys me. I sent in reports to fix the errors in it and add more information. They fixed it. Then apparently someone reports "errors" in mine and they changed it again, leaving it totally confusing.

The specific ones I'm talking about are the socket recipes for helms, body armour, and shields. The way they work is that they add 1-6 sockets, randomly, capped at the maximum number of sockets the item can have. I gave an example to illustrate this. However, apparently someone point out that helms can only have 3 sockets maximum, so it'd be 1-3 sockets, randomly. That implies that 1, 2, and 3 are equiprobable, which they aren't. And my correct example is still there, which contradicts what the rest of the description says. Mess.

The rare-socketing recipe description is also awful. I think it was changed some time after I checked the page. It should just say "Does not work on items that already have one or more sockets," instead of that confusing "Rare Items can only have two sockets." line.
adeyke,Oct 28 2004, 01:09 AM Wrote:You know, the cube pages on the AS annoys me.  I sent in reports to fix the errors in it and add more information.  They fixed it.  Then apparently someone reports "errors" in mine and they changed it again, leaving it totally confusing.

[right][snapback]58421[/snapback][/right]

You mean like this:

Gameplay FAQ:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/faq/gameplay.shtml

"Can Magic Items, Rare Items, Set Items, and Unique Items be Socketed?
Yes, with a Cube Formula or with a quest reward in Act V."

Unique Item Basics:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/u...sics.shtml

"Unique Items can be Socketed using the first quest reward in Act V or a special Horadric Cube Formula."
Sorry, I know it's bad form to revive such an old post, but I was trying to answer a question for somebody, was checking this post to make sure of my knowledge, and this... caught my eye:

Ruvanal,Oct 21 2004, 08:34 PM Wrote:If you push the player count up to 8 (which would actually require 8 partied players together in same named area) the NoDrop value would be adjusted to a much smaller number and you would typically see a pass of the chest TCs generating 4 and sometimes 3 items per pass of chest TC.  The /player8 setting in SP would be somewhat inbetween and you should see typically 2-3 items dropped from each pass of a chest TC.

(emphasis mine) I was under the impression that p8 in SP had drops exactly the same as 8 partied and nearby players? You don't mean that they only count as half-players (hence drops are as if n=4) do you?! Eek :blink:

However, whichever way it is, I must be missing something else here...

Quote:As I noted here, most would actually be magical not unique in this extreme case.  Also note that the odds of getting such an event of such magnitude are extremly remote.  A more modest amount of about half that size can sometimes be encountered in higher player count games though.

The odds of an intended magical drop failing are actually fairly high. Chest TC is 100 nodrop / 15 gold / 15 junk / 10 item / 2 good. Only the 10 item and about 1 of the 2 good can be magical in that lot so the chance of the drop "failing" is 92% in a solo game. Which means the chance of getting all 10 drop passes in is actually a healthy 47%.
In a full game (now hesitating to call it p8), the nodrop falls to 2, but that still leaves a 75% chance of a failed pass, resulting in a 7.5% chance of all 10 passes. And, in a full game, there's a 81.5% chance of each pass dropping 4 items, so a 13% chance of all 10 dropping 4, so altogether a little under 1/100 chance of 40 items coming out just in phase 6.
That seems much too high.

If I have been wrong for the last two years (heh) and /players 8 is only like an n=4 game, then there is an 80% chance of a pass failing, so a 13.4% chance of seeing all 10, and a 34% chance of each pass dropping 4 hence about a 1/360K chance of 40 items dropping in phase 6. That seems more in keeping with the SP experience...
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke
You'll never get that good of a chance at 40 items all being non-magical(or greater). MF is considered in this final step as well, exhausting the odds.
gta-maloy],Mar 17 2005, Wrote:You'll never get that good of a chance at 40 items all being non-magical(or greater). MF is considered in this final step as well, exhausting the odds.
[right][snapback]71054[/snapback][/right]
I just read through the post again. Its been too long since I've played d2 or posted on this sort of thing, but Ruvanal stated

Ruvanal,Oct 22 2004, 07:48 PM Wrote:The magic find is not used at all through the whole process.

Though I have to tell you mf in the final batch would seem more realistic.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.