Bill Roper Interview with GameVision
Bill Roper Interview has given an interesting interview to GameVision.de. Read it here:

ENGLISH version (text only): http://www.gamevision.de/artikel.php?sec...92&seite=1
GERMAN version (with images): http://www.gamevision.de/artikel.php?id=192
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
120 views and not a single reply.

*steps forward among the ranks and strikes a valliant pose*
"Damn you, valliant pose! Take this!"

All kidding aside, thanks for the link(s). I do have one question though: whatever happened to StarCraft? I mean, I thought they had an order in this:
Warcraft (1)
Diablo (1)
Starcraft (1)
Warcraft (2)
Diablo (2)
Warcraft (3)

... and now Diablo3? It wasn't enough WarCraft 3 took SC2's place, now we have to endure another fabulous game before we get to see Kerrigan slice someone open again? Gah! The world is against me!

Still, here's hoping Diablo III

* Manages to combine the good elements from the two previous games
* Places a larger emphasis on storyline and character development
* More peg legs and bovine humour! (However with his second leg being found on the last level of Frozen throne, I'd hazard to guess for what purpose the young twirp would use a third peg leg...)
* Becomes a movie instead of a game. I still feel the best part of Diablo2 and Lord of Destruction - discounting the addictiveness of it all - are the movie sequences.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
It depends on which "they" you're talking about. Bill Roper is no longer with Blizzard, and most of the people who founded Flagship were from Blizzard North, which created Diablo but not Star- or War- Craft.

Until we see a title, we won't know whether Flagship has bought any rights from Blizzard, or whether they're creating a new "universe" in a similar genre.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,Oct 18 2004, 02:15 PM Wrote:...whether Flagship has bought any rights from Blizzard...
I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would buy the rights to Diablo, with the intention of making a good game with a reasonably long life. *

Diablo, along with every other game in the fantasy genre, is pretty derivative of a number of prior works that are not protected by copyright. I can't imagine that Blizzard would have much luck even protecting the storyline of Diablo/D2 if the character names were changed. In other words, if they wanted to use the story elements of the Diablo games, there wouldn't be any legal impediment.

On the other hand, I can't imagine WHY they would want to stick to the Diablo storyline. This is obviously a reasonably creative bunch, and surely they can come up with more than one idea for a storyline in the course of their combined careers.

-rcv-

* If the intention is to shove out some piece of crap to capitalize on name recognition, that's easy. It seems like almost every Hollywood movie in the last 25 years has been used that way.
You never know though. After all the warcraft 3 regular and starcraft regular storylines were almost exactly the same, and the frozen throne one wasn't that good from my point of view, so maybe people are running out of steam in that area.

Warcraft 3, the diablo terrain order combined with a modified starcraft story.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
How about a crossover? A portal in each "game-dimension" opens, and a vortex sucks each world (Diablo, StarCraft and Warcraft) into each other, and every race is seeking to be the dominant one. You'd have Kerrigan fighting Mephisto, and Belial waging wars against Prince Arthas, etc. What with Aliens vs Predator, and the like, I think this could be done :)

(Not really, but it's an entertaining thought. ;))
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Oct 18 2004, Wrote:All kidding aside, thanks for the link(s). I do have one question though: whatever happened to StarCraft? I mean, I thought they had an order in this:
Warcraft (1)
Diablo (1)
Starcraft (1)
Warcraft (2)
Diablo (2)
Warcraft (3)

Maybe they're not going to do a Diablo III. You could read their pattern as ABCABA (although hopefully ABCABAC is not yet out of the question).
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
[wcip]Angel,Oct 18 2004, Wrote:All kidding aside, thanks for the link(s). I do have one question though: whatever happened to StarCraft? I mean, I thought they had an order in this:
Warcraft (1)
Diablo (1)
Starcraft (1)
Warcraft (2)
Diablo (2)
Warcraft (3)

... and now Diablo3? It wasn't enough WarCraft 3 took SC2's place, now we have to endure another fabulous game before we get to see Kerrigan slice someone open again? Gah! The world is against me!

Still, here's hoping Diablo III
Actually, that list should be read like this:

RTS (1)
RPG-Action (1)
RTS (2)
RTS (3)
RPG-Action (2)
RTS (4)

and currently:

MMORPG (1) -> WOW
FPS (1) -> SC:Ghost

which should be followed by:

RPG-Action (3)

as next game.

Note that the WarCraft- and StarCraft RTS games - albeit in a different "universe" - are very similar as far as gameplay and background story goes.

"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller