You don't have to be a brit to appreciate
Having ordered the first season of "Little Britain" night to Sunday, I ran out to bring in the mail this morning, and there it was: a shiny brown paper envelope from http://www.play.com. Seeing as I'd ordered several items from the website, I didn't know what this one actually held, but when I opened it, I was happy to see my copy of Little Britain.

What is Little Britain?
It's a comedy sketch show by Matt Lucas and David Williams depicting hilarious stereotypical characters from the lands of Great Britain. (Buffy-fans will recognise Anthony Head as the Prime Minister.) I find it difficult to describe any of these vivid characters at all, because they are so surreal. Most of them are recurring characters: the juvenile delinquent Vicki Pollard (who swapped her baby for a Westlife-CD), the evil Fat-Fighters course leader Marjorie Dawes, Daffyd Thomas who is "the only gay in the village", Sebastian Love, the aid to (and admirer of) the Prime Minister, rubbish transvestite Emily (Eddie) Howard, and last but not least, Lou and his wheelchair-bound friend Andy (who doesn't need a wheelchair.) There are many more recurring and non-recurring characters, and with the exception of a one or two, every single one is brilliant. It's really amazing to see how two actors can play such a wide, diverse range of characters. The show reminds me of the fast show, and I've been told it's reminiscent of The league of gentlemen, although I've never seen the latter.

I got the series using BitTorrent a few months ago, before the DVD was available. I've uploaded the first episode, so you can get a sense of what the show is about. The quality is not excellent, but completely watchable nonetheless. The file is in excess of 100MB, so I'm afraid only broadband-people will be able to watch it.

The first episode can be downloaded here

I understand these kinds of show are an acquired taste, and I can see how many people might be put off by the surrealism in its humour. Also, seeing as most characters are recurring, one might not 'get' some of the humour in it unless you watch several episodes.

What's also funny, is the narrator opening the show and introducing the various sketches. He's a character in it of himself. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some bonus material to watch.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,Oct 14 2004, 01:04 PM]Having ordered the first season of "Little Britain" night to Sunday, I ran out to bring in the mail this morning, and there it was: a shiny brown paper envelope from http://www.play.com. Seeing as I'd ordered several items from the website, I didn't know what this one actually held, but when I opened it, I was happy to see my copy of Little Britain.

What is Little Britain?
[right][snapback]57588[/snapback][/right]

I didnot see this show yet (only a trailer on the BBC)
If you like these kind of things you might also like Big Train and Smack the Pony.
(French & Saunders, and Fry and Laurie you obviously know allready).

I'm a great fan of britisch comedie also. some of the epsiodes from Bottom, the Young ones and absolutely fabulous I have seen more than 30 times......great stuf.

eppie