Literacy and technology
Hello all!

Here we are again. Another thread, another essay. For those of you who missed the last one, I wrote an essay on the Age of Discovery last year for my undergraduate course in history. With the help of you nice folk, I managed to get an A. I'd very much like to make that a tradition.

This year, however, it's much more serious and much more gruelling. (Well, it's suppsed to be anyway :P) I am taking a master's course in literacy studies, and for one of my essays, I have chosen to write about literacy and modern technology. The topic is "Advantages and disadvantages of modern technology in the promotion of literacy." I will use this thread as a study aid; I will come to you when I run into problems. I would also like to pick your brains for ideas and comments on the subject. I've run into a problem already. I will quote pieces of my text (at this early stage it serves as the preface/introduction to my essay, but who knows where it'll wind up)

The rapid technological progress in the last ten years has heralded a new era in our understanding of promoting literacy. In Theory & practice of writing, William Grabe and Robert B. Kaplan explain the advantages of computer technology in the classroom. By discussing these advantages, as well as any disadvantages to the use of computer technology in class, it is the aim of this essay to discuss whether or not this technology is useful in promoting literacy among young learners of English. In addition to seeing how computer technology may be used in the classroom, the way pupils use technology in their spare time; especially television and computers, will also impact on this discussion.

Now here's where it gets tricky. Note, this is the latest stuff I've written, so I really haven't been looking at sentence structure, vocabulary and such:

Because technology evolves at an ever-increasing speed, and because there are major differences in schools and pupils all over the world, this discussion cannot be universal; it cannot involve everyone at all time. I choose to focus on pupils in the western world because “literacy and technology” is a subject more applicable to America, Great Britain or Scandinavia, than in developing countries.

The problem is: How do I say this without sounding like a racist? I mean, somehow I have to manage to say that I will only be writing about people from the western world, basically because modern technology is more used there than in "other places." How do I say this without sounding racist and/or patronizing?

--------

Although I did come to you for a specific problem, I would want you to voice your opinion, if any, on the subject, regardless of whether or not you can answer my question or not.

Thanks again!

- [wcip]Angel
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Oct 13 2004, Wrote:Because technology evolves at an ever-increasing speed, and because there are major differences in schools and pupils all over the world, this discussion cannot be universal; it cannot involve everyone at all time. I choose to focus on pupils in the western world because “literacy and technology” is a subject more applicable to America, Great Britain or Scandinavia, than in developing countries.

The problem is: How do I say this without sounding like a racist? I mean, somehow I have to manage to say that I will only be writing about people from the western world, basically because modern technology is more used there than in "other places." How do I say this without sounding racist and/or patronizing?

Thanks again!

- [wcip]Angel
[right][snapback]57536[/snapback][/right]

TMI - Too Much Information. In my humble opinion you're fine in explaining that due to time and space constraints you placed the focus of your essay upon the countries where technology is more prevalent. Its not patronizing and certainly not racist. :) Good luck on your paper it sounds very interesting.
I'd agree with Tal. The most valuable thing I learned in one of my undergraduate independent study/research courses was the power of "Hmm, that's a very interesting question. However, it's beyond the scope of this study".

Before I got to your particular issue in reading your post, I started wondering what you would say about the divide between those with access to "technologically enhanced" learning aids and those without access to such contraptions. By itself that would be a very interesting discussion, but you could also write books about it alone. Rather than stating that you choose to focus on pupils in the "western" societies, you might want to phase it in terms of the choice between subjects:

Quote:Presentation of a universal discussion of technology in promotion of literacy would be impossible without a certain emphasis on the issue of access to such technology, however, suitable treatment of that issue requires more space than currently available.  Therefore, the focus of this presentation will be to discuss the advantages and disadvantages inherent in promotion of literacy through use of technology...

The only problem in going that route is that a clear disadvantage of the implementation of instructional technology is that not all students will have equivalent access to it. Ignoring this in your discussion of disadvantages opens you to by criticized for an incomplete treatment of the subject. Also, depending on your audience, the divide issue could be their central interest and avoiding it may compromise your rhetorical credibility with them. From my point of view, acknowledgment is always better than avoidance, but presenting the [very strong] reasons for not discussing it at length is essential in avoiding criticism for inadequate treatment.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thank you both for your replies. I see what you mean.
When making these topic-questions, I don't think my professors really thought much about what you call the "divide-issue". It's not an essay on social studies. I think merely stating the boundaries of my essay, and the reasons I had to limit my scope will be enough. I have scheduled an appointment with one of my professors tomorrow for supervision. This will be an excellent question to ask him.

Also, Jeunemaitre, I really liked the phrasing of what you put in your quote-brackets. May I paraphrase and put it into my essay?

Thank you Tal and Jeunemaitre for solving the first of many problems. I feel I'm on the right track. :)
New question:
In your introduction, do you provide a cronological outline of the various subjects you're going to talk about in your essay, or do just jump right into the first subject at hand after your introduction?

I'm torn between two schools of thought: On the one hand, every single one of my history professors told me last year that it provided the reader a chance to see what the essay was about, and could anticipate what the structure of the essay would be, making it easier to read, as the reader would always know what was yet to come. On the other hand, seeing "I am going to write about x, y and z" in an introduction sounds terribly like highschool-writing to me.
[wcip]Angel,Oct 14 2004, Wrote:New question:
In your introduction, do you provide a cronological outline of the various subjects you're going to talk about in your essay, or do just jump right into the first subject at hand after your introduction?

I'm torn between two schools of thought: On the one hand, every single one of my history professors told me last year that it provided the reader a chance to see what the essay was about, and could anticipate what the structure of the essay would be, making it easier to read, as the reader would always know what was yet to come. On the other hand, seeing "I am going to write about x, y and z" in an introduction sounds terribly like highschool-writing to me.
[right][snapback]57585[/snapback][/right]

I'm of the school that you provide an "abstract" for lack of a better word in your introduction. In general terms it lays out your thesis and the steps you undertake to support your thesis. To jump straight away into the first subject would lead to a rambling discourse.
[wcip]Angel,Oct 13 2004, Wrote:- [wcip]Angel

wow this is a great idea (sorry I will not be of any help)

In a few months I have to finish my PhD thesis, which of course is in english. Maybe I can publish it here on the lounge for you Lurkers to correct it!! It seems that amercians get a lot of training in the writing of essays and so. Looks like there is quite some knowledge available here on the lounge!

woohoo
*reaches for a bokbeer*
[wcip]Angel,Oct 14 2004, Wrote:In your introduction, do you provide a cronological outline of the various subjects you're going to talk about in your essay, or do just jump right into the first subject at hand after your introduction?[right][snapback]57585[/snapback][/right]

Hi,

I'd say, "Neither."

A good structure for many essays is, "Tell them what you're gonna tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them." However, this does not imply an outline of any form, chronological or otherwise. I have found that a good exercise is to try to formulate my thesis in one (simple) declaratory sentence. This clarifies the topic for me so that I don't meander all over the map (as some readers of these fora know I tend to do :) ). Then, in one sentence each, I try to formulate my arguments. That material then (suitably mutated) becomes the introduction and the summary.

A good idea is to build a first draft of those two sections (introduction and summary) and see how big they are. They should be between five and ten percent of the total length of the essay (excluding figures, tables and appendices). If you are writing under the constraints of a page count or word count, this process will be a good guide of how well you've chosen and limited the subject. If the introduction and summary are too big, you need to rethink your subject and further limit your scope, and conversely if they are too little.

Usually the next step is to generate a title that is both interesting and informative. The ability to do that is another good indicator that you've formulated the topic well enough that you know what you want to say. I've found that if I can write a good introduction, summary, and title, the essay has a tendency to 'write itself'.

Now, I'll freely admit that this is just a technique that works for me (and then only for expository writing) and that others have other methods. However, if you haven't adopted a method of your own, you might give this a shot. While it is a little bit more work up front, I found that it saves a lot of rewriting later.

Good luck on your essay, and if any random thoughts on the topic enter my mind, I'll be sure to share them ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

[wcip]Angel,Oct 13 2004, Wrote:Because technology evolves at an ever-increasing speed, and because there are major differences in schools and pupils all over the world, this discussion cannot be universal; it cannot involve everyone at all time. I choose to focus on pupils in the western world because “literacy and technology” is a subject more applicable to America, Great Britain or Scandinavia, than in developing countries.

- [wcip]Angel

You may want to mention other areas of the world with access to similar technologies that you won't be discussing, such as Japan.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Thank you all for your replies.
On the issue of access, my professor and I decided to stipulate that instead of going off-topic with a discussion of access to the technology, the essay would be about those people who had access. Although interesting, it wouldn't be pertinent to my discission of technology and its effect on the promotion of children's literacy.

I'm sorry I even have to ask this, but it seems my brain is not fully functional: what is the name of the piece of equipment people used to interpret morse codes?
A picture

edit: I'm stupid. It's the telegraph of course.

edit#2: I rewrote the beginning:

The rapid technological progress in the last years has heralded a new era in our understanding of promoting literacy. In Theory & practice of writing, William Grabe and Robert B. Kaplan present the advantages of using Information Communication Technology (ICT) in the classroom. While it is easy to recognise and even acknowledge these advantages, there are some aspects of ICT which can hinder the development of children’s literacy. It is the aim of this essay to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using ICT to promote children’s literacy and to conclude whether the former outweighs the latter, or vice versa. A recent study on families with children between the age of 0-6 has shown that nearly 3 out of 4 families have a computer at home, and that 70% of children between the ages of 4-6 have used a computer. Additionally, parents site the computer as the most useful electronic medium for educational purposes.[Rideout, Victoria J., Vandewater, Elizabeth A., Wartella, Ellen A., 2003] Consequently, it is vital that this essay also acknowledge the value (and pitfalls) of ICT in a home environment.

But what is Information Communication technology? When using a broad interpretation, the technology used to communicate information could encompass telephones, fax machines, mobile phones, SMS, or even the telegraph. In this context however, “ICT” must be more narrowly defined. For this essay, it is the computer and the way children use it, which will be the subject of scrutiny. This essay will include a discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of three domains of computer technology: Production, information gathering and interaction. First; how does word processing affect the way young children learn to write, and is that type of development beneficial or hurtful to the child’s literacy? Second, will the various types of language found on The Internet enrich a young learner’s own language or will it be detrimental for the pupil’s sense of what language really is? Third, when a child interacts with an electronic encyclopedia, a language learning programme, or a game, how does this experience alter the child’s own ability to read and write?

--

As you can see from my last paragraphy, I realised that I needed specific areas to target. I couldn't just talk about computer technology as an abstract concept; I needed specific areas of ICT to study (Word processing, The Internet, Software.) Sooner or later, I imagine I will be getting into 1337-speech and all sorts of horrible things. I'll just have to brace myself :)
[wcip]Angel,Oct 17 2004, Wrote:As you can see from my last paragraphy, I realised that I needed specific areas to target. I couldn't just talk about computer technology as an abstract concept; I needed specific areas of ICT to study (Word processing, The Internet, Software.) Sooner or later, I imagine I will be getting into 1337-speech and all sorts of horrible things. I'll just have to brace myself :)
[right][snapback]57666[/snapback][/right]

Hi

First, a nit: ;)

Quote:Additionally, parents cite the computer as the most useful electronic medium for educational purposes.

Second, are you now solely focussing on computer use in the home? There are a number of software packages that are routinely used by Special Education teachers to aid children who are struggling with learning to read and write. I am told by one of my friends who is a Special Education teacher that use of them can and does aid children.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

First off, thanks for the nitpick. :) (*now corrected*)

Secondly, no I'm not solely focussing on technology at home. One of my main line arguments will be that it's easy to get lost both on the Internet, and in the wide array of functions a computer can have, without a proper teacher, thus disproving the theory that computers will one day replace teachers. (One of the articles I've read also reached the same conclusion.)

I might do a section on kids with special needs, like the ones you talked about, and how computer technology might help. I would have to find some literature on that though. Nothing I've so far (as far as I remember) deals with this subject.
[wcip]Angel,Oct 17 2004, Wrote:I might do a section on kids with special needs, like the ones you talked about, and how computer technology might help. I would have to find some literature on that though. Nothing I've so far (as far as I remember) deals with this subject.
[right][snapback]57668[/snapback][/right]

Here is a link to the software that my friend uses in her classroom. As far as I know, it is the one that is standard for Ontario Special Needs classrooms.

And here is a listing of other such software, although I have no knowledge of how effective or popular any such programs might be.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Oct 18 2004, 10:34 PM Wrote:Here is a link to the software that my friend uses in her classroom.   As far as I know, it is the one that is standard for Ontario Special Needs classrooms.

And here is a listing of other such software, although I have no knowledge of how effective or popular any such programs might be.
[right][snapback]57694[/snapback][/right]
I will continue my research and writing on Wednesday. Thank you very much for the links!! I'll be sure to check them out. :)
I have a new problem.
Quote from my essay:
"Kern continues his questionable choice of references when citing Haas(1989):

(…)many writers ‘get lost’ in the process when they are working exclusively online because of a difficulty to represent the overall structure and meaning of the text when viewing it on screen.

It is evident Kern “gets lost” himself, as this quote deals with online text, while Kern himself is discussing word processing in general. Although it’s reasonable to assume Haas was not familiar with the Internet in 1989, and thus “online” had another denotation at the time than it did in 2000, Kern does not quote Haas, but paraphrases his argument, using his own words concurrent with the year 2000, where the term “online” refers to the Internet, not the computer itself. Despite Kern applying it inappropriately, Haas’ argument itself is still sound. It is more difficult getting lost when working online, as the form of printed and word processed (offline) text is completely different from the online medium."

---

We had a "work shop"-session in school yesterday where I presented some aspects of my essay, and my teacher informed me that, for this particular section, I needed to demonstrate what "online" meant in 1989.

Do you know of any dictionaries that backtrack in time for outdated definitions? I'm googling like a madman, but have not been able to come up with anything yet.
Hi,

[wcip]Angel,Oct 28 2004, Wrote:Do you know of any dictionaries that backtrack in time for outdated definitions? I'm googling like a madman, but have not been able to come up with anything yet.
[right][snapback]58442[/snapback][/right]

Good luck finding your source. Part of your problem in doing so is that by 1989, 'online' could very well have meant 'on the Internet'. We had Internet access at WSU in the early '80s and at Boeing in the mid to late '80s. And, if one knew the right people, one could get a dial in account at a college or university machine and have Internet access from home as early as '89 or '90.

Frankly, I think you're looking in the wrong place. Rather than trying to prove in general what 'online' meant in the late '80s (which, unfortunately, would include a usage contrary to your thesis), you would be better off finding some other writings by Haas from that period, or perhaps a reply by one of his supporters or opponents contemporary with that paper, that shows that, in this context, 'online' did not mean 'on the Internet'.

Failing that, you might have a hard time making your point and might be better off dropping it in favor of more supportable evidence.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

[ Wrote:Angel,Oct 28 2004, 03:32 AM]...

We had a "work shop"-session in school yesterday where I presented some aspects of my essay, and my teacher informed me that, for this particular section, I needed to demonstrate what "online" meant in 1989.

Do you know of any dictionaries that backtrack in time for outdated definitions? I'm googling like a madman, but have not been able to come up with anything yet.

I'm sure you know most of this, but I will summarize what that period meant for me, and perhaps you can glean something to dig into. Online processing originally meant being at a CRT, rather than offline or batch processing. So, for me as a programmer working and editing software code online was preferable to sitting at a card punch machine and then submitting a card deck to the job scheduler (a person) who would run my "job" and then put the resulting printout in my output bin. As timesharing networks became more ubitquitous and more people (mostly at large companies or at universities) got on-line, the networks started connecting, first as ARPANET, and later extending that technology as USENET.

Most documents were written using Word Processing machines, and by the late 80's some PC software was emerging that was passable such as;

Wikipedia - WordPerfect
Wikipedia - WordStar
Wikipedia - Word (processing)

PC based word processing was still painful and antiquated compared to specialized mini computers (e.g. Xerox, WANG or Olivetti). Screen sizes and resolution were also small, and special characters and even upper and lower case were sometimes difficultly implemented. Getting lost online has a few meanings to me; first in that you have a very small window, and many formatting commands in your document so you really have very little idea how it looks printed, and then contextually it was hard then to view many parts of your document in any thematic view which tended to make continuity and clarity of purpose more difficult. That is, without printing it, marking up the paper and using the online text editor for corrections only.

And I googled this piece up that seems interesting.
Words, Words, Words: Creating, Editing, And Publishing - Opinions by Amy D. Wohl
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

[wcip]Angel,Oct 28 2004, Wrote:Do you know of any dictionaries that backtrack in time for outdated definitions? I'm googling like a madman, but have not been able to come up with anything yet.

The Oxford English Dictionary should provide what you need, although it's not free. Your library may have access.

And I was "online" in 1978 at a whopping 110 baud (back when baud existed.) The word had its current connect-to-remote-computer meaning well before 1989. That meaning may have narrowed to commonly reference the ubiquitous Internet, though.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Thanks for all your replies. I will have to read through everything a few more times, but so far, it seems I will have to drop the entire argument.

Damn (!)

Still, I don't think it serves any purpose having falsely made up arguments that has no basis in reality in an essay , so it's better having it pointed out now when I can still do something about it :)
I just completed the essay "The effects of ICT on the promotion of children's literacy." If anyone's interested in reading it, I've uploaded it to my FTP, and the entire document can be downloaded here.

It's a long read (about 6000 words, 1000 more than I was allowed :whistling: ), and I don't know how interesting it is. However if anyone does decide to read it, feel free to comment. It's due Monday, so if you spot any grammatical slip-ups before then, please do point them out to me ;)

I'll include the table of contents in this post, so you can see what the essay is about:

Table of contents

1. Introduction 3
a. Vygotsky 4

2. Word processing

a. Advantages to the writing process 5
b. Disadvantages of word processing 6
c. Plagiarism 7

3. The Internet
a. Hypertext 8
b. The “World Wide” web 9
c. Computer-Mediated Communication 10
d. Pros and Cons of CMC 11
e. 1337-speak 12

4. Software
a. Dictionaries 15
b. Games 16

5. Conclusion
a. The mentor 17
b. The conscious writer 17
c. The experienced surfer 18
d. Learning is fun! 18
e. The future of ICT in schools 19

6. References 20

edit: Sadly, I was not able to include all the parts I wanted, such as the use of ICT in teaching children with learning disabilities. Oh well, perhaps for my thesis :)