Installing Linux
How might I go about getting Knoppix on my computer? This computer (it's a laptop) currently has Windows ME installed on it. Barf. This has got to go, and since I don't game on it I figure like, why not you know? Let's switch to linux...

But yea, all the googling I've done says to type knx-hdinstall into the command line and that doesn't do anything it says command not found? please help or link me.
For beginners, I would get a copy of Red Hat, preferably version 9. Much easier, to install at least.

For more information, do a search through the fora for "Linux", there was a fairly good-sized thread about it a few months back, and it had some very good information.
WWBBD?
Redhat? Eeeew. At least use Fedora. :P

You *are* running knx-hdinstall from within Knoppix, right?
Yea k here is what I did since last post...

I was in Knoppix right, and I brought up the Konsole thing and typed 'su -' then I typed 'knx2hd' which it said was the correct way to install it. It was looking good and I clicked a few buttons but right before it seemed like it was going to install it said I did not have permission to format the drive. I was in root, maybe something needs to be done in windows?
YZilla,Oct 11 2004, 07:50 PM Wrote:Redhat? Eeeew. At least use Fedora. :P

You *are* running knx-hdinstall from within Knoppix, right?
[right][snapback]57479[/snapback][/right]

Heh, I don't need Fedora, I have a *cough* copy *cough* of RH9. :D
WWBBD?
unrealshadow13,Oct 11 2004, 06:59 PM Wrote:Yea k here is what I did since last post...

I was in Knoppix right, and I brought up the Konsole thing and typed 'su -' then I typed 'knx2hd' which it said was the correct way to install it. It was looking good and I clicked a few buttons but right before it seemed like it was going to install it said I did not have permission to format the drive. I was in root, maybe something needs to be done in windows?
[right][snapback]57484[/snapback][/right]

What you will need, if you are going to run Linux, is the ability to puzzle things out for yourself when you're not sure what to do. I don't run Linux, but I had a FreeBSD box for long enough to realize that it wasn't something I was going to be able to use without either spending a lot of time figuring things out, or constantly bugging my friends for help. Neither sounded particularly feasible at the moment, so at the moment Windows is a more realistic choice for me.

If you want to run Linux, and are already stuck at that point in the process, it may be time to rethink that decision. Is it something that you're going to be able to work through on your own, most of the time?
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Linux on a laptop/notebook?

You WILL regret that. :)

Step #1 is to go to the laptop manufacurer's site, and check what they have for Linus support for that model. Chances are that it will be none.

If that doesn't turn you off, then try tracking down individual hardware drivers for the 'puter. Some fun.

-rcv-
channel1,Oct 12 2004, 05:08 AM Wrote:Linux on a laptop/notebook?

You WILL regret that. :)

[right][snapback]57493[/snapback][/right]

Nonsense. :P

If he's running Knoppix LiveCD, he's seeing firsthand how his hardware is supported. ;)

(for the record, I've installed Linux on 3 Dell laptops at this point... all are working quite well.)
There's always ndiswrapper. :P
How about a free Ubuntu Linux CD? I'm no Linux nerd, but I've read that Ubuntu is a very newbie-friendly Linux package.

Anyhoo, here's another freebie -- Ubuntu Linux CD shipped to you free of charge!. You have to register at their website to take advantage of the offer. You can even request multiple Ubuntu Linux CDs to distribute to your friends and neighbours.

Someone try this out and let me know how it goes. I know nothing of Linux.

edit: I got curious and signed up and requested some CDs. I'll let you know how it goes.
I took Gris' advice and I bought WinXP today. Incidently, is there anything special I have to do to install an operating system? Do I have to boot from it, or just put it in? Do I need to format my drive and stuff before I install XP? Will it walk me through it? (I don't get it until tommorow)
unrealshadow13,Oct 12 2004, 10:34 PM Wrote:I took Gris' advice and I bought WinXP today. Incidently, is there anything special I have to do to install an operating system? Do I have to boot from it, or just put it in? Do I need to format my drive and stuff before I install XP? Will it walk me through it? (I don't get it until tommorow)
[right][snapback]57525[/snapback][/right]

[Image: google.gif] <-- Clicky
DeeBye,Oct 12 2004, 11:33 PM Wrote:How about a free Ubuntu Linux CD?&nbsp; I'm no Linux nerd, but I've read that Ubuntu is a very newbie-friendly Linux package.

Anyhoo, here's another freebie -- Ubuntu Linux CD shipped to you free of charge!.&nbsp; You have to register at their website to take advantage of the offer.&nbsp; You can even request multiple Ubuntu Linux CDs to distribute to your friends and neighbours.

Someone try this out and let me know how it goes.&nbsp; I know nothing of Linux.

edit: I got curious and signed up and requested some CDs.&nbsp; I'll let you know how it goes.
[right][snapback]57524[/snapback][/right]

BUMP FROM BEYOND!

I got a package of Ubuntu Linux CDs -- 30 of them! This freebie delivered.

[Image: ubuntu.jpg]

Pictured are 10 copies each of the Intel/i386 version, AMD64 version, and PowerPC version. The Intel/i386 version came with both an Install CD and a LiveCD (whatever that is).

I haven't attempted installing this, but I'll give it a go just as soon as I find a freebie to replace my old Compaq Celeron 600 piece of crap's harddrive.

I'll trade someone 29 copies of Ubuntu Linux for a ~30 GB HD. Takers?
DeeBye,Dec 1 2004, 10:11 PM Wrote:BUMP FROM BEYOND!

I got a package of Ubuntu Linux CDs -- 30 of them!&nbsp; This freebie delivered.

[Image: ubuntu.jpg]

Pictured are 10 copies each of the Intel/i386 version, AMD64 version, and PowerPC version.&nbsp; The Intel/i386 version came with both an Install CD and a LiveCD (whatever that is).

I haven't attempted installing this, but I'll give it a go just as soon as I find a freebie to replace my old Compaq Celeron 600 piece of crap's harddrive.

I'll trade someone 29 copies of Ubuntu Linux for a ~30 GB HD.&nbsp; Takers?
[right][snapback]61710[/snapback][/right]
30GB? Mine are all in Dell L400c's, over 5 yrs old and tend to fail.
[Image: scaredkitty.jpg]

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

IMO, a Knoppix HD install is not a good way to start learning Linux/UNIX, because Knoppix is not very well documented.
I recommend choosing one of two ways:
1) A commercial rpm based distribution (Red Hat or Suse). Very easy to install (many people say it is easier to install than Windows), but IMHO, not so easy/comfortable to manage and update after it is installed.
2) Debian Sarge: http://www.debian.org Not as easy to install as the big commercial distributions, but once you have it all running smoothly, it is very easy to install new software and to update your system.

In any case, Griselda is absolutely right. Be prepared to invest some time into learning your way around.
DeeBye,Dec 2 2004, 03:11 AM Wrote:The Intel/i386 version came with both an Install CD and a LiveCD (whatever that is).

LiveCD usually refers to a CD set up such that you can boot from the CD and try out the associated OS with little or no change to your filesystem - i.e. try before you install. Could be nice if you don't have any drives you're willing to overwrite and you don't want to go buy a drive until you know you like the system. In such a case, use a LiveCD to get up, look around, and decide whether you really want to install this.