"Superman" is dead
A candle light from here for "Superman" Christopher Reeve, who could unfortunately never be healed after his tragic accident.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Make that two candles.

:(

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Hi,

nobbie,Oct 11 2004, 12:49 AM Wrote:A candle light from here for "Superman" Christopher Reeve, who could unfortunately never be healed after his tragic accident.
[right][snapback]57416[/snapback][/right]

And add mine, too. He demonstrated in real life the heroism he so often portrayed on the screen.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Oct 11 2004, 10:41 AM Wrote:Hi,
And add mine, too.  He demonstrated in real life the heroism he so often portrayed on the screen.

--Pete
[right][snapback]57433[/snapback][/right]

What happened?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Oct 11 2004, 10:43 AM Wrote:What happened?
[right][snapback]57441[/snapback][/right]
He died Sunday. You can read an article about it here: Cnet News.com

While I enjoyed his performances in the Superman movies, I remember him best for his role opposite Jane Seymour in the romance with a sci-fi twist, "Somewhere in Time". It's been one of my favorites since the day it came out.
People in City of Heroes are wearing all black, wearing a red cape, removing their cape entirely, or wearing a red 'S' on their chests for a while, to honor him.

Also, some jerks on their forums are linking to some other jerk's insulting rant claiming Christopher Reeve was selfish. I'm glad no one here is doing that.

Christopher Reeve contributed greatly to my love of the superhero genre with his portrayal of Superman. His efforts after his accident also made me realize his strength as a person.
Smoketest,Oct 11 2004, 12:05 PM Wrote:While I enjoyed his performances in the Superman movies, I remember him best for his role opposite Jane Seymour in the romance with a sci-fi twist, "Somewhere in Time". It's been one of my favorites since the day it came out.
[right][snapback]57443[/snapback][/right]

It's a favorite of mine too. The paradox of the pocket watch has always amused me.
What's cool is that he was more influential after his accident than he ever would have been as just an actor.

When I first heard about his death, I wondered if the Democrats would use the timing to get cheap political points, because of his stand on removing the restrictions on stem cell research. On further reflection, I realized that he would think "cheap political points" would be just fine, if it meant removing the idiotic restrictions on research in the U.S.

(As an aside, I don't see the limited involvement by the U.S. in stem cell research as being that big a deal. It certainly doesn't stop other countries from supporting research, in fact it can act as an incentive for some countries to push research in directions where the Big Boys in the U.S. can't go. It would be sorta funny to see the Americans need to go to Cuba for advanced medical treatments that were unavailable in the U.S., and certainly wouldn't hurt the Cuban economy that the U.S. administration has been trying to destroy for over fifty years.)

-rcv-
(oh, ya, "Somewhere in Time" gets my vote, too :)
LiquidDamage,Oct 11 2004, 11:25 PM Wrote:Also, some jerks on their forums are linking to some other jerk's insulting rant claiming Christopher Reeve was selfish.

I know exactly which article you are talking about, the one written by a guy named Maddox.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club