Full sized sealed headphones
I like to use a pair of full sized sealed headphones (the ones that completely encircle and cover the ear) while doing computer stuff that requires me to listen to sound. I bought a cheapo pair of headphones a year or so ago, but they are really starting to annoy me now. They sound pretty decent, but they are very uncomfortable to wear for long stretches of time.

I'm looking for recommendations on a set of full sized sealed headphones that are (in order):

-cheap
-comfortable
-sound good

After Googling a bit on the subject, it looks like the Koss UR20 might meet my needs, but I'd really like some other opinions before I write a letter to Santa Claus.

The phones must be sealed, because I only use them when I don't want stray noise wandering all over the place. My computer is situated rather close to my TV, and when I'm playing games I don't want to bother whoever might be watching TV. And vice versa.

The phones must also be comfortable to wear. My current set are a little bit too small, and pinch the top of my ears a bit. Maybe I just have overly large ears or something. I find myself having to take them off for a few minutes every hour or so.

These things must be cheap, because there is no way in hell I am going to pay $200 for a pair of headphones. I am willing to pay up to ~$50 for new headphones.

Sound quality is lower on my list because I'm not a rabid audiophile.
I have always been a fan of Koss, but other than that, I can't help much.
WWBBD?
A truly "cheap" alternative, though it's maybe a tad above your 50$ margin:

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Sennheiser_HD...6-20145920.html

Why it's truly cheap? Because I still use - among others - a set of Sennheiser HD430 I bought in 1988 - and they still sound great after 16 years. Doesn't get any cheaper than that :D

With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince...
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. ...
and still keep the frog you started with.
I have a pair of sony headphones.
When I bought them (around 10 to 15 years ago) the cost me 100 guilders, which would be around 50 dollars. They were the cheapest of a series and were called something like CDMD50.
They are quite comfertable only some "ear"conditioning would not be bad, because after a while it gets a bit warm. For the rest: good sound, comforable, price okay, and still working. I guess these things would be even a bit cheaper now.
Anyway if you buy them, try them on first.
Well, seeing as I don't have exact measurements of Deebye's ears, I will assume they are no larger than your average Disney Elephant's.

A friend of mine has Koss-headphones, and I had to borrow them when he hosted a computer party a few weeks ago. The sound quality was impressive, and they were quite comfortable. I realise Koss has several models, but I don't know which one I had.

A couple of years back, I too wanted a decent pair of headphones, and after asking around a bit, I put Sennheiser on my wishlist for Christmas. (Yes, mother still forces us to write one every year.) They are quite comfortable, and the sound is flawless in my mind; but then again, I'm no sound expert.
These are the ones I'm using.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Do you wan't a microphone?
I also have used Sennheiser for my last two pair, most currently:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_e...phones_dj_04974

These may be more expensive than your price target though.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I have a pair of Koss TD65 and my wife has a pair of Koss WM60. The WM60's are much much better made. The TD65 are actually broken and the left ear will come of the head band, though it stays in place once you put them on. I can't recommend anything that doesn't have an "external" connector to the ear piece. The TD65 is all a hidden slider deal.

Neither are comfortable enough for me though. I have large ears and even the large cups on the TD65 require me to smash the ears in a bit or have the cups resting on them. The WM60 are a smaller set and can't fully enclose my ear, though they aren't any less comfortable since they are lighter and spread the pressure around the whole ear. It is just a different kind of discomfort. Sound quality is fine of both of them. They both are better than my Benwin system speakers.

I don't think I could buy a set of headphones without trying them on first though. Ear sizes vary way too much. Of course that might just be because I do have large ears so I need something other than what an average person needs.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
unrealshadow13,Oct 11 2004, 06:25 PM Wrote:Do you wan't a microphone?
[right][snapback]57461[/snapback][/right]

If I wanted a microphone, I would have said so.
LavCat,Oct 11 2004, 05:46 PM Wrote:I also have used Sennheiser...
Good headphones get my vote, too.
I bought my Stax electrecs in 1978 (IIRC), and paid $200 for them, which was a LOT of money then. I still use them, and they still sound great and are super-comfortable.

-rcv-
DeeBye,Oct 11 2004, 07:03 PM Wrote:If I wanted a microphone, I would have said so.
[right][snapback]57474[/snapback][/right]

Free money. If I wanted some I'd say so. I want some.

But in all honesty I've heard that some of the microphone//headphone 'gamer' headphones are rather decent. I am rather sceptical of this, granted for video gaming I'm sure they are fine, and if that is what your main use will be, I suggest them as a possible avenue.

But for pure music enjoyment? Run for the high hills.

Cheers,

Munk
DeeBye,Oct 11 2004, 04:03 PM Wrote:If I wanted a microphone, I would have said so.
[right][snapback]57474[/snapback][/right]

You might consider it. It seems to me that TeamSpeak is getting popular. It comes up on the W40K DoW forum I'm reading. And imagine 8 amazons playing a D1 rogue variant and everyone chatting over their headsets. (What's going to make that a good read is the plan to get a fourth dot by going through hell again with friendly fire, ie. mutual hostility.)

BTW, I'm wanting some headphones (and free money!) too. I'm cruising ebay for wireless Sennheisers. Years ago, I had one the first models of their open air style and liked them.

(edit add: How about item # 5725449143 on ebay? wireless?)

-- CH