Necro: Trangs vs "Godlies"
Hello once again lurkers, its your favorite necro on Ritalin. :ph34r: My necro is currently level 68 HC, using Trang Oul's Set, Arm of King Leoric, and Marrowwalk. He is a summon (max skel, max skel mast) and bone (working on maxing spirit).

My question is this. Is it better to use Trangs set, or switch to uniques (shako, homo shield, vipermagi, etc) I love Trangs set, and with the +5 it gives to skills (+3 to all, and +2 to each skill tree) its actually a real decent set. However, im sure I can get close if not more out of using uniques.

Please give me some feedback, as I am open to suggestions.

BTW: My act1 Rogue merc seems to be working quite well :lol: despite what most on battle.net keep telling me. (YOU ARE NEWB, etc, etc)

*mobsta*
[Image: DakkonBlackblade.jpg]

"My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins." - Dakkon Blackblade, Memoirs
I've never been a huge fan of Trangs set. I've used it before, but always pass it up for uniques. If you have access to some of the best uniques, there is no way trangs will hold a flame to them.

All depends on the uniques you intend to use, and have access to.

Cheers,

Munk
AngryMob,Oct 7 2004, 04:06 PM Wrote:Hello once again lurkers, its your favorite necro on Ritalin. :ph34r:  My necro is currently level 68 HC, using Trang Oul's Set, Arm of King Leoric, and Marrowwalk.  He is a summon (max skel, max skel mast) and bone (working on maxing spirit). 

My question is this.  Is it better to use Trangs set, or switch to uniques (shako, homo shield, vipermagi, etc)  I love Trangs set, and with the +5 it gives to skills (+3 to all, and +2 to each skill tree) its actually a real decent set.  However, im sure I can get close if not more out of using uniques. 

Please give me some feedback, as I am open to suggestions.

BTW:  My act1 Rogue merc seems to be working quite well  :lol:  despite what most on battle.net keep telling me.  (YOU ARE NEWB, etc, etc)

*mobsta*
[right][snapback]57263[/snapback][/right]

The real question is, what works for you? If you can get your hands on the uniques you're looking for, the only thing keeping you from switching is you.

In this case, you're looking at a comparison between the combined effects of the full Trang's set and the combined effects of the assortment of uniques you would replace it with. Whatever you feel gives you the most bang for your buck is the thing to go for. Certainly piling on uniques, along with the odd runeword, can beat out Trang's for +skills and/or resists - but you lose out on the handy third damage type that comes with the set. My best advice is to add it up and pick what you like best.

For the record, the Rogues work well with some playstyles and not with others. And a large portion of Bnetters can't be trusted for character opinions - ie anyone who thinks that only godly/cookie-cutter builds are worth playing.
Most of the comments here are correct. Trang's is a good well rounded set, but if you have access to all the unique in the game, you can cobble together a better setup for practically any necro type.

There are a couple things that Trang's can give that no other items can: The fact that your run and walk speed are the same rate; thus allowing you to keep your blocking while moving at a running pace, and the fire spells that Trang's grants.
If either of these things are valuable to you, you might want to keep the set.

It also has a major disadvantage though: Your casting rate is much slower when using the full set. This may have a big effect on your spamming of bonespirits, and you may wish to avoid it. Of course, this is all dependant on what your stats, other equipment, and play preferences are.
Aye, I'll second that. Your casting speed while waring full Trang's is very, very slow. This hardly affects a summoner but badly affects a bone necro. If you're planning on using the bone skills heavily, I'd say avoid the trang set. This is particularly true if you have available a good selection of the high end uniques or rune words.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Well, Some parts of the trang set are sometimes the mst advisable for a necro. For example, the belt is probably the best necro belt, even though arachnid mesh is also good :)

However, a necro can get a better shield than the trang one. Homunculus and Boneflame are always better choices. The trang gloves are nice due to the +2 curse bonus, but Soul drainers are also good choices. For the armor, usually bramble,enigma or trang armor are the best choices. Even though alot of necros use enigma, bramble is still a good choice for summoners.. For the helmet, the 3 runewords, lore/nadir/delirium arent exactly very good, so vampire gaze or trang helm are good. Trang wand should be replaced though.

So you should at least keep trang gloves,armor,belt and helm. the shield and weapon are pretty bad.
MikethemizJR,Oct 25 2004, 06:32 PM Wrote:The trang gloves are nice due to the +2 curse bonus, but drac's grasp are also good choices.

The only thing Dracul's Grasp really has for a caster necro is the +10-15 life per kill (useful only if you actually kill things; minions don't count) and the +10-15 strength. OTOH, the Trang-Oul gloves have 20% FCR, 30% cold resist, +2 curses, and +25% poison skill damage. I really can't see why you'd prefer the Dracul's Grasp.

Quote:Trang wand should be replaced though.
[right][snapback]58169[/snapback][/right]

You can't replace what doesn't exist :rolleyes:.
It's entirely unfair to compare individual set pieces with the individual uniques you suggest replacing them with. The benefit of wearing the full Trang set is not in the strength of the individual items but in the added bonus of wearing the full set.

And secondly, your suggestions don't take into account skills, etc. at all. For example, choosing Bramble over Enigma -- If the necromancer in question has no minions and uses a rogue merc, bramble is pretty useless.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
MikethemizJR,Oct 25 2004, 09:32 PM Wrote:Even though alot of necros use enigma, bramble is a better choice.

[right][snapback]58169[/snapback][/right]

I would beg to differ, in light of the following:

1. You can get the Thorns aura from a desert merc, or equip whever hireling you have with Bramble instead of yourself.

2. For anything but a poison necro, Bramble's +100% poison skill damage mod is irrelevant.

3. Enigma sports +skills, teleport, and an insane strength bonus. None of which Bramble can improve on or replace.