dual boot,floppy drive,win xp
Hello,

I need some help to remove windows xp from my computer,here is what I did:

I have made 2 partitions;I have installed windows millenium on the first partition,then I have tried to install windows xp on the second one,but the installation has failed,so win xp is partially installed but it doesn't work because it says,after booting,that there is a material problem of configuration;so,I just can boot on win Me.
I would have tried to replace the files of win xp by installing windows 2000,but my computer cannot boot on the floppy disk drive;I have checked the BIOS,and the first boot is on floppy drive;I don't understand why the computer doesn't boot on the disk drive (so that I would be able to activate the 2 nd partition and then replace it by windows 2000)
My question are:
what's the problem with the floppy disk drive? How can I make it boot again?
How to remove windows xp with or without the floppy disk drive?

Thanks a lot for your help,

~Abramelin~
I am a bit burnt out at the end of a long day, so let me try to get this straight.
-You had WinXP installed, you wanted to get rid of it
-You installed WinME on a different partition, and are running that
-You can not get WinXP to delete, and then Reinstall correctly.

Are you trying to just 1. Remove WinXP files, or 2. Remove WinXP Files and Reinstall the Operating system?

Do you have files on the WinXP partition you can not lose? Because if you can move anything needed to the second ME Partition, you can use a program like Partition Magic to format the WinXP Partition entirely.

I am still a bit confused about the need to change the boot check order of your drives, and where win2k plays into this. If your end goal is just to format the WinXP partition, Partition Magic should do the trick.

Again, I apologize, my mind is in shambles at the moment.

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Oct 6 2004, 11:53 PM Wrote:I am a bit burnt out at the end of a long day, so let me try to get this straight.
-You had WinXP installed, you wanted to get rid of it
-You installed WinME on a different partition, and are running that
-You can not get WinXP to delete, and then Reinstall correctly.

Are you trying to just 1. Remove WinXP files, or 2. Remove WinXP Files and Reinstall the Operating system?

Do you have files on the WinXP partition you can not lose?  Because if you can move anything needed to the second ME Partition, you can use a program like Partition Magic to format the WinXP Partition entirely.

I am still a bit confused about the need to change the boot check order of your drives, and where win2k plays into this.  If your end goal is just to format the WinXP partition, Partition Magic should do the trick.

Again, I apologize, my mind is in shambles at the moment.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]57205[/snapback][/right]
Windows xp is not installed because it has failed during the installation;I have tried to install xp many times without success,so I have tried to remove it and replace it by another operating system (I have windows 2000 and 98)
Windows Me is installed and it is running ok
I cannot get rid of win xp since the floppy disk drive doesn't boot (in order to activate the xp partition,format it and replace it);I want to get rid of it to make a new dual boot (Me/2000 or Me/98)
Ya,I just want to delete xp and i have no files to keep since I couln't install xp
I don't have partition magic;where can I download it?
If partition magic can format xp from win Me,it should work;
how does partition magic work?
What disk do you have in the floppy drive? Is it a Win98 boot disk, if so, you should be able to boot to that, go into fdisk and delete the XP partition altogether. If it is a 98 boot disk, and you are unable to boot, my geuss would be your IDE calbe is loose, or the power connecter is loose. Possibly a bad drisk, or a bad drive even. There are many things that *could* be wrong. I would start by opening your case and making sure all the cables are plugged in completely, and also that you have a bootable disk with AT LEAST the fdisk program.

Keep us updated.
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Oct 7 2004, 04:27 AM Wrote:What disk do you have in the floppy drive? Is it a Win98 boot disk, if so, you should be able to boot to that, go into fdisk and delete the XP partition altogether. If it is a 98 boot disk, and you are unable to boot, my geuss would be your IDE calbe is loose, or the power connecter is loose. Possibly a bad drisk, or a bad drive even. There are many things that *could* be wrong. I would start by opening your case and making sure all the cables are plugged in completely, and also that you have a bootable disk with AT LEAST the fdisk program.

Keep us updated.
[right][snapback]57226[/snapback][/right]
I have win98/2000/Me boot disk;the floppy drive didn't work shortly after the failure of xp installation;I have tried to boot on the floppy boot disk,but the computer coulldn't boot on it;I haven't moved the computer and I didn't touch it,so it can't be a plug issue;and the floppy disk works with the other computer;so what's going on?
Help please

Abramelin
Can't you just reformat the whole thing and start over with a clean thing?
I would assume he doesn't want to lose large amounts of potentially valuable information =P

SD
Have you tried booting with your installation CD-ROM?

All modern BIOSes and drives should support CD booting.
unrealshadow13,Oct 10 2004, 09:08 PM Wrote:Can't you just reformat the whole thing and start over with a clean thing?
[right][snapback]57381[/snapback][/right]
Yes i can format:rolleyes:
Oh,wait,I have a better idea:I throw the computer away and I buy a new one!! <_<
No more help required ;)
I have managed to make a dual boot win ME:/Win xp pro
I couldn't install win xp because the cd had bad scratches;so I burnt a copy of win xp pro and I successfully installed it from win ME.
About the floppy drive,
it couldn't boot from the disk drive because the BIOS was changed;it was set to read 5 1/2 instead of 3 1/2 floppy;so, I loaded 'fail safe settings' in the BIOS.
I'll make a new multi boot by adding linux,when I get it...
need help for multi boots? ask me ;)

~Abramelin~
Abramelin,Oct 14 2004, 04:33 AM Wrote:Yes i can format:rolleyes:
Oh,wait,I have a better idea:I throw the computer away and I buy a new one!! <_<
[right][snapback]57579[/snapback][/right]
There's no reason to be rude :(