Imbue what?
I imagine this is a common question. I am in SP game and have the imbue quest in Hell and have no idea what it could be used for, other than to maybe increase an items sell value.

I was thinking maybe a circulet and hope for a + skill, but that is probably dreaming and no saying I will find one that can be used.

Since you cannot imbue much of anything, only basic items, I do no see any chance of getting anything worth having.

I am a Druid BTW.

I sort of felt this was really made useless by not allowing any magic items or socketed items. I can see some use in normal mode as anything you get from her is probably a big improvment, but if you wait to long or are in NM or Hell, it see little gain.
I imbued Wirt's Leg a few times and got some interesting results. But that doesn't really help you out. ^_^

Save those imbues. Good rare druid gear is hard to find in the late stages of the game and when you come across any nonmagical spirit helms or coronets or tiaras, you'll want to get them imbued. Wait until your character is a higher level before trying it, and the results are usually better.

My characters tend to go get a piece of gear imbued right before hitting the Ancients or Baal in A5. A trinket just for luck, as it were.

Someone around here can probably give you mathematical equations about imbuing.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Tht is an excellant comment, thanks. I will keep my eyes open for one of those. I am only in act II and around L77, so I have lots of time.

I rememebr how the ancients seem to be death blow in NM, I think it is a bug. I finally just use the grizz to kill them all, not direct contact for myself.

It seems that fire enhanced uniques can at time kill you in one shot.
vmxa,Oct 6 2004, 12:36 PM Wrote:I imagine this is a common question. I am in SP game and have the imbue quest in Hell and have no idea what it could be used for, other than to maybe increase an items sell value.

I was thinking maybe a circulet and hope for a + skill, but that is probably dreaming and no saying I will find one that can be used.

Since you cannot imbue much of anything, only basic items, I do no see any chance of getting anything worth having.

I am a Druid BTW.

I sort of felt this was really made useless by not allowing any magic items or socketed items. I can see some use in normal mode as anything you get from her is probably a big improvment, but if you wait to long or are in NM or Hell, it see little gain.
[right][snapback]57172[/snapback][/right]

What the imbue does is create a rare item with ilvl = clvl + 4, using the same base item and the same etherealness as the input item.

So if they expanded it to allow magic items or socketed items, about the only different would be that you'd have an easier time getting a base item (e.g. you could find a magic diadem instead of needing to find a non-magical one) and that you could imbue jewels, rings, and amulets. This wouldn't really fundamentally change things.

If, however, you mean that it should take whatever properties are on the item and add some new ones to make it rare (this isn't what currently happens), then allowing magic and socketed items would be sickeningly and obscenely ovepowered. It would be a very bad thing.

Now, for good imbue choices:

Diadems are very popular. You'll always have a chance at +2 skills, as well as some nice other bonuses. Also, you can use 6 perfect skulls to reroll the diadem, and you'll still always have a chance at all affixes.

Ethereal dimensional blades and crystal swords are also popular. If you get one with high ED, you can upgrade it to elite and have a fast, high-damage, ethereal, indestructible weapon. However, if you have just a single imbue, the chance of actually getting something good are very slim.

Other than that, rare belts, boots, gloves, and weapons all have a chance to be good, but also a chance to be useless. It really depends on what your character has and what he needs.
No I would not favor keeping existing traits. I lke the reroll, just that it is hard to find anything worth using (for me).

What is a "diadem"?

Are you saying a rare item can be used to imbue? Aren't they magical?

Etheral stuff cannot be repaired, so how will become indestructible? I give them to the hire as they are not damaged and need no repair.

Thanks for the input BTW.

vmxa,Oct 6 2004, 08:26 PM Wrote:No I would not favor keeping existing traits. I lke the reroll, just that it is hard to find anything worth using (for me).

Ah. Then I have no great objections to the idea in terms of gameplay. From a story/style point of view, however, it's good that only non-magical items work. The idea behind the Malus is that it adds magical properties to an item that doesn't already have them.

Quote:What is a "diadem"?

The are four circlet-type items:
Circlets and Coronets are normal.
Tiaras are exceptional.
Diadems are elite.

Diadems are special in that they always have alvl 99, regardless of their ilvl. That means they'll always have all circlet-type affixes available. So even an ilvl 1 diadem could still get +2 skills. The same could not be said for circlets, coronets, or tiaras.

Quote:Are you saying a rare item can be used to imbue? Aren't they magical?

No.

You have to give some non-magical, unsocketed item to imbue. The game then generates a new rare item. The base item and the etherealness are the same as the input item (e.g. you imbue a non-ethereal diadem, you get a rare non-ethereal diadem; you imbue an ethereal dimensional blade, you get a rare ethereal dimensional blade). The ilvl of the output item is clvl + 4.

Quote:Etheral stuff cannot be repaired, so how will become indestructible? I give them to the hire as they are not damaged and need no repair.

Thanks for the input BTW.
[right][snapback]57219[/snapback][/right]

Phase blades have no durability, so they're indestructible. However, indestructible items can't usually spawn ethereal. You can get around this by upgrading an ethereal dimensional blade. Upgrading maintains the etherealness of an item, so you'll have an ethereal phase blade. However, since phase blades are indestructible, you'll have an ethereal indestructible weapon.
Got it, thanks.
What is the formula to upgrade the Eth dimensional blade , I can only find formulae to upgrade rare and unique , not a normal " white "weapon . Or is it that you have to Imbue the blade first then upgrade it . Expensive if its the Um one , but I suppose you only need do it once .Thanks .

Take care
Take care
Raven Vale,Oct 7 2004, 04:40 PM Wrote:What is the formula to upgrade the Eth dimensional blade , I can only find formulae to upgrade rare and unique , not a normal " white "weapon . Or is it that you have to Imbue the blade first then upgrade it . Expensive if its the Um one , but I suppose you only need do it once .Thanks .

Take care
[right][snapback]57279[/snapback][/right]

Imbue first, then upgrade. You only have to upgrade it if it's actually a good one.
adeyke,Oct 6 2004, 11:00 PM Wrote:The are four circlet-type items:
Circlets and Coronets are normal.
Tiaras are exceptional.
Diadems are elite.

So, wait... Does that mean you can upgrade a circlet/coronet to a tiara, then to a diadem? I didn't think that it would, but if it does, that sure makes getting a diadem to reroll a lot easier.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Oct 8 2004, 01:08 AM Wrote:So, wait... Does that mean you can upgrade a circlet/coronet to a tiara, then to a diadem?  I didn't think that it would, but if it does, that sure makes getting a diadem to reroll a lot easier.
[right][snapback]57304[/snapback][/right]

Yes.
I guess I need to expose my ignorance once again and try to get a clear understanding.

I have a circulet that is non magical and qualifies for the imbue.

Reading this thread, I gather it is possible to get it to be a Tiara or a Diadem via the cube. I see how you can use it to get to the next level, but it seems it will then be magical and hence not valid for the imbue?

From what I see in the varies items databases, it would seem that their are no normal Tiara's or Diadems. The only Diadems I see are Set items (I actully have Naj's).

So what I am trying to find out if it realistic to hold off the imbue at this point. I am now at Level 82, so I have access to all up to lvl 88 (affixes).

Would it be best to do the imbue and then try to use the cube to upgrade from that point or hold off (for what I am not sure). I gather that the upgrade would be a complete reroll and as such it does not mater much what affixes I got from the imbue. Does the level of the imbued item matter? Would it be beter if the imbued item was at least a level 60?

What formulas would be used?
vmxa,Oct 19 2004, 04:07 PM Wrote:I guess I need to expose my ignorance once again and try to get a clear understanding.
I have a circulet that is non magical and qualifies for the imbue.

Reading this thread, I gather it is possible to get it to be a Tiara or a Diadem via the cube. I see how you can use it to get to the next level, but it seems it will then be magical and hence not valid for the imbue?

You can upgrade a rare or a unique item. So yes, upgraded items are never imbuable.

Quote:From what I see in the varies items databases, it would seem that their are no normal Tiara's or Diadems. The only Diadems I see are Set items (I actully have Naj's).

First off, Naj's Circlet is a circlet, not a diadem.

There are low-quality circlets, coronets, tiaras, and diadems.
There are normal-quality circlets, coronets, tiaras, and diadems.
There are superior-quality circlets, coronets, tiaras, and diadems.
There are magical circlets, coronets, tiaras, and diadems.
There are rare circlets, coronets, tiaras, and diadems.
There are set circlets (Naj's Circlet) and diadems (M'avina's True Sight).
There are unique tiaras (Kira's Guardian) and diadems (Griffon's Eye).

Quote:So what I am trying to find out if it realistic to hold off the imbue at this point. I am now at Level 82, so I have access to all up to lvl 88 (affixes).

Would it be best to do the imbue and then try to use the cube to upgrade from that point or hold off (for what I am not sure). I gather that the upgrade would be a complete reroll and as such it does not mater much what affixes I got from the imbue. Does the level of the imbued item matter? Would it be beter if the imbued item was at least a level 60?

What formulas would be used?
[right][snapback]57749[/snapback][/right]

Remember, most imbues are junk, no matter what the base item is and no matter what clvl you are. So if you're saving it in the hopes of getting a super ultimate item, you're probably going to disappointed.

Now, what you can do is first imbue a circlet. If it's good, keep it. If not, then use the rare normal->exceptional and exceptional->elite recipes (check the AS for the recipes) to get a diadem. It'll keep all its stats but will then be a rare diadem instead of a rare circlet. Then you can reroll it with 6 perfect skulls until you get something good.
The place I got the idea that there are none is :

http://www.planetdiablo.com/expansiond2/it...mor.asp?acid=14

vmxa,Oct 19 2004, 08:08 PM Wrote:The place I got the idea that there are none is :

http://www.planetdiablo.com/expansiond2/it...mor.asp?acid=14
[right][snapback]57764[/snapback][/right]

They don't know what they're talking about.
The imbue seems very powerful when you first get it, but you must choose wisely when imbuing, otherwise you might get a crap item and you wont like that :blink:
If you are a barbarian who needs a weapon, you can imbue a balrog/highland blade, but make sure it is a good one. It is all a matter of what you want it for. I usually use my imbues to get good beginner gear for a new character I am making.