socket formulae variations and odds
This is what the AS says about the odds at sockets:

Quote:The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-4 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. For example, if you have an item that can only have 2 sockets, there's a 5/6 chance of getting 2 sockets and a 1/6 chance of getting 1 socket.

This is of course when using the cube to socket items.....is there a better explanation somewhere with up to te max possible sockets and it's chances?
gta-maloy],Oct 6 2004, Wrote:This is what the AS says about the odds at sockets:
This is of course when using the cube to socket items.....is there a better explanation somewhere with up to te max possible sockets and it's chances?
[right][snapback]57147[/snapback][/right]

What seems to be the problem with that explanation?

Every item has a maximum number of sockets it can have at ilvl 1-25, a maximum number of sockets it can have at ilvl 26-40, and a maximum number of sockets it has at ilvl 41+. The socket recipe adds 1-6 sockets to an item, randomly, but an item can never have more than the maximum number of sockets for its ilvl. So, for example, if you had 5 max sockets, a roll of 6 would result in only 5 sockets instead of 6, meaning that 5 sockets would be twice as likely as any other number.

Mathematically, if an item has a maximum of n sockets, the chance of getting n is (7 - n)/6, the chance of getting >n sockets is 0, and the chance of getting <n sockets is 1/6.

If you want to find out what the max socket values are for an item, use my calculators (linked in my sig).
So regardless of the max amount amount of sockets you have a 5/6 chance at max and a 1/6 chance at min through 1-max?

I was simply wondering if the odds for each possible socket were possible to determin.....

Say the max socket is 6, your chance is ~83% at attaining 6os and ~3.4% for every other possibility?

I understood the rest of the information but thanks for the recap.
gta- Wrote:,Oct 6 2004, 10:27 AM]So regardless of the max amount amount of sockets you have a 5/6 chance at max and a 1/6 chance at min through 1-max?

I was simply wondering if the odds for each possible socket were possible to determin.....

Say the max socket is 6, your chance is ~83% at attaining 6os and ~3.4% for every other possibility?

I understood the rest of the information but thanks for the recap.
[right][snapback]57159[/snapback][/right]

Okay, I'll rephrase:
Mathematically, if an item has a maximum of n sockets, the chance of getting n is (7 - n)/6, the chance of getting any specific positive integer > n sockets is 0, and the chance of getting any specific positive integer < n sockets is 1/6.
adeyke,Oct 6 2004, 04:39 PM Wrote:Okay, I'll rephrase:
Mathematically, if an item has a maximum of n sockets, the chance of getting n is (7 - n)/6, the chance of getting any specific number > n sockets is 0, and the chance of getting any specific number < n sockets is 1/6.
[right][snapback]57163[/snapback][/right]

Gotcha, I missed that the first time I read the reply :blink:

5=max

7-5 = 2

2/6 = odds at max
1/6 = 4, 3, 2, 1
Just wondering if I understand the socketing formula correctly.

A colossal blade can have 1-6 sockets.

But I want to try to get a 3 socket colossal blade, so I found a low-quality colossal blade and then use the "upgrade low-to-normal quality recipe" so that it becomes a normal-quality colossal blade.

According to Arreat Summit, using the "upgrade low-to-normal quality recipe" will set the output item to ilvl=1 (if I understand it correctly).

Does that mean now, when I use the "socketed weapon recipe", and since the colossal blade is now ilvl=1, the maximum number of sockets possible on this colossal blade will be 1-3 (since it's lower than ilvl 26-40), instead of 1-6 (for normally found normal-quality colossal blade).
dta,Nov 20 2004, 06:14 AM Wrote:Just wondering if I understand the socketing formula correctly.

A colossal blade can have 1-6 sockets.

But I want to try to get a 3 socket colossal blade, so I found a low-quality colossal blade and then use the "upgrade low-to-normal quality recipe" so that it becomes a normal-quality colossal blade.

According to Arreat Summit, using the "upgrade low-to-normal quality recipe" will set the output item to ilvl=1 (if I understand it correctly).

Does that mean now, when I use the "socketed weapon recipe", and since the colossal blade is now ilvl=1, the maximum number of sockets possible on this colossal blade will be 1-3 (since it's lower than ilvl 26-40), instead of 1-6 (for normally found normal-quality colossal blade).
[right][snapback]60573[/snapback][/right]

Technically, that's correct. However, I find saying it gets 1-3 sockets implies that those are equiprobable. I'd find it more correct to say it gets 1-6 sockets, capped at 3. There'd be a 2/3 chance of 3 sockets, 1/6 of 2, 1/6 of 1.