Is Diablo III Blizzards next Game after WOW?
[wcip]Angel,Oct 6 2004, Wrote:They call it "The inaccuracies of nostalgia."
[right][snapback]57200[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps. The point stands that Diablo 2 was sorely lacking in areas that Diablo 1 excelled in, which ended up detracting from the overall game, however... and with the people gone who made the original, it seems unlikely that we will ever see the return of the aforementioned missing aspects.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Brista,Oct 8 2004, 07:18 PM Wrote:1) Why keep it quiet?
2) Do they have the personnel for it?
1) The hpye-machine is currently fully adjusted for WOW ;)

2) Yes, I think that after the WOW launch, more people will be available again. And if not, they can just hire new ones :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Chaerophon,Oct 6 2004, 04:48 PM Wrote:Were these even popular at the time?  I can remember really enjoying them, although I remember little about the actual game. :)  I don't remember them being particularly big names... did a lot of lurkers play them?
[right][snapback]57193[/snapback][/right]

Don't know about "a lot of lurkers", but I played them. I played the EOB series as they came out, and spent alot of time on them. I still like playing them now, but I've pretty much exhausted the replayability.

EDIT: It can also be a pain getting them(and those pesky gold box games) to run the way I want them on to modern systems.
Mithrandir,Oct 8 2004, 07:09 PM Wrote:Perhaps. The point stands that Diablo 2 was sorely lacking in areas that Diablo 1 excelled in, which ended up detracting from the overall game, however... and with the people gone who made the original, it seems unlikely that we will ever see the return of the aforementioned missing aspects.
[right][snapback]57332[/snapback][/right]
Namely, that fantastically creepy atmosphere. Starting in the Labyrinth, all the way to Hell (which redefined my image of the place), that atmosphere of darkness and encroaching evil never let up, not even in town, really. Diablo II just had nothing like that atmosphere. Diablo II is not really the stuff of nightmares (unless those nightmares involve losing that WF you tried so hard for so long to get, in which case, you got problems).
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Oct 11 2004, 07:56 AM Wrote:Namely, that fantastically creepy atmosphere.  Starting in the Labyrinth, all the way to Hell (which redefined my image of the place), that atmosphere of darkness and encroaching evil never let up, not even in town, really.  Diablo II just had nothing like that atmosphere.  Diablo II is not really the stuff of nightmares (unless those nightmares involve losing that WF you tried so hard for so long to get, in which case, you got problems).
[right][snapback]57427[/snapback][/right]

That's sort of what I personally like about the atmosphere in D2. Only ct 4 may be really creepy, but the acts have there own atmosphere which helps put some variation in the game.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
The Battle.net populace would give anyone nightmares. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
JustAGuy,Oct 6 2004, 09:50 PM Wrote:That addictiveness is what Blizzard would do well to replicate. To keep people playing, it's the "I have to run Meph one more time..." or the "I need to kill Baal one more time for that Windforce...", type of obessive compulsive, addiction inducing gameplay elements that give Blizzard big sales. They make the most money by making the most addictive game they possibly can. In Diablo 2, it was so addictive that some users bought 2, 3, 4 or more copies (I bought TWO, four all together, two D2 and Expansions) to maximize gameplay.

Just because that's the most vocal aspect of the Diablo 2 community doesn't mean that it's where the money is at. For most people I know, Diablo 2 got a lot of attention for a month or three, then became a lan party classic "someone be a paladin! not it!", then faded into nothing. I get a lot of "you still play that?" in most places if I bring it up.

For every one "i can't wait for the new ladder season so i can be the first to score the phat loot in hell diff", there's about a thousand people who bought it, installed it, played through each act (maybe swapping characters a few times), uninstalled it, and moved on to the next big thing.