EXP variations
Does any know for sure if there exist specific restrictions when a low level follows a higher level character for exp. I was level 60 and my cousin level 1-6 and he never receved much Exp from me. I played another game with a friend of lvl 4 and he leveled normally....I was lvl 85 at this time.

Am I loosing it or does this make sense?
gta- Wrote:,Oct 5 2004, 10:03 AM]Does any know for sure if there exist specific restrictions when a low level follows a higher level character for exp. I was level 60 and my cousin level 1-6 and he never receved much Exp from me. I played another game with a friend of lvl 4 and he leveled normally....I was lvl 85 at this time.
Am I loosing it or does this make sense?
[right][snapback]57091[/snapback][/right]

While I have not tested it, I know "for sure" this is what the Arreat Summit says about it:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/...ence.shtml

Oh yah, the other day we were doing hellforge rushes to hell and for kicks we ran one of the level 1's in Hell cows to see if he would still get experience after the 1.09 to 1.1 exp nerf. He gained around 1 level for about every 15 cows we killed (so yes, the exp was still great, and this was with only three people in the game). The killing was done by a level 85 sorceress FYI.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I wonder how you keep the level 1 alive? I ask because I was thinking of dumping my L76 Iron Wolf to test a HF Merc and they were all about L46.

I was concerned that since they basically have to do melee fighting, that they would be killed in Hell. I quess I could run into NM for a bit, but I was not sure if it was worth it.

BTW this is SP game.

The other thing is the HF seems to have a very short range. I can see if you grow one up it could b good,but otherwise?
vmxa,Oct 5 2004, 02:34 PM Wrote:I wonder how you keep the level 1 alive? I ask because I was thinking of dumping my L76 Iron Wolf to test a HF Merc and they were all about L46.

I was concerned that since they basically have to do melee fighting, that they would be killed in Hell. I quess I could run into NM for a bit, but I was not sure if it was worth it.

BTW this is SP game.

The other thing is the HF seems to have a very short range. I can see if you grow one up it could b good,but otherwise?
[right][snapback]57107[/snapback][/right]

I was orbing, and rather small mobs at that. The thing to be careful of is unique cows with any 'Holy' aura. They have a large radius and will kill any low leveled character in the area of effect immediately in the first pulse leaving your low level saying "Holy ****!"

As to your merc, they not only gain exp. differently that characters do, but because of an act II merc's aggressive combat style, he would surly die immediately!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
vmxa,Oct 5 2004, 06:34 PM Wrote:I wonder how you keep the level 1 alive? I ask because I was thinking of dumping my L76 Iron Wolf to test a HF Merc and they were all about L46.

BTW this is SP game.

[right][snapback]57107[/snapback][/right]

The alternative is to equip a "Doom" weapon, which has HF built-in, on one of the desert mercs available in Hell, thereby getting two auras and skipping some of the level-building; but getting the runes for it will likely take forever in SP.

The melee mercs die fast without loads of leech no matter what difficulty you're in. Whether it's worthwhile to backtrack to more survivable areas to level the suckers depends on your patience.