I'm an idiot and need help with web page hosting
There are some cool features for putting in your personal image and an avatar in your Personal Settings folder.

My internet service provider, cox.net, provides me with a free 500mb web space.

I have NO idea how to post pictures on my web-site, much less link a URL to it. Also, I had this paladin guide that looks SOO good in Microsoft Word that I'd like to put up there for others check out and download.

I tried using Frontpage, but gave up. I just don't get it. Is it really that difficult? ANY suggestions gladly welcome to a web-page design noob.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Try this:

http://www.davesite.com There is a nice HTML tutorial and I believe there are Java and CSS tutorials also. Great place to learn the basics, which is what you would need, IMO.
WWBBD?
I have like mad skillz. IM me. unrealshadow13
From the sounds of it, you're having problems uploading to your webspace.

The best place to start would be your ISP's support pages. Typically, you will be able to use FTP to upload files. Someitmes, FrontPage extensions are provided to allow direct management from FrontPage.

As for actually creating the content, I'm going to let others explain that to you.
OMG I'm so confused! I think reading Dave's site made me more confused than ever.

I go here: (not sure if people w/out Cox as their provider can see this page)

Quote:http://usercenter.cox.net/rsuite/sdcuser...A0WebSpace

I activated my personal web space:

Quote:http://members.cox.net/meat

Then I go to:

Quote:http://usercenter.cox.net/rsuite/sdcuser/default.jsp

It basically tells me I need to use an FTP Client Software, but I don't know what it's talking about! Am I supposed to be in my web space at this point? When I try and go to my web site, it says 403 Forbidden.

While searching the support web site, I found links to FTP guides which I will try reading tomorrow, but I don’t understand how to even get into my site to put the information in. There is also a download software page, but *all* those programs don't mean anything to me. Oh well, I'm off to bed now. Tomorrow is another day.

EDIT - Okay, I am an idiot. On the web space web page after I logged into my cox.net account, it lists my web space URL and dirrectly next to it says MANAGE/DELETE. Now when I click on manage, there is a bunch of files already in there. Should I delete them? Time to read up on FTP I guess.

EDIT #2 - Having trouble sleeping. Need to solve problem! I figured out how to upload stuff to my site, but now according to Daves site, I need an index.html. Easy enough, but what's supose to be inside the index?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
You'll need to download FTP software so you can upload files. I use WS_FTP
http://www.download.com/3000-2160-10018456.html

Oh yea, and if you were to get bleh.jpg on your place you would link us to:
http://members.cox.net/meat/bleh.jpg. And capilitization matters!
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Okay, I figured out most of this. I just need to learn more HTML. The only thing I'm confused on now is how to make files downloadable instead of just viewable. You can view my site and paladin guide the way it was meant to be seen here:

Quote:http://members.cox.net/meat/

If someone could tell me how to make a file downloadable with HTML, I would be extreemly happy :D .
Wow Meat, what a guide!

Haven't had a chance to have a deeper look at it yet, but it sure does look impressive!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
MEAT,Oct 4 2004, 01:33 AM Wrote:EDIT #2 - Having trouble sleeping.  Need to solve problem!  I figured out how to upload stuff to my site, but now according to Daves site, I need an index.html.  Easy enough, but what's supose to be inside the index?
[right][snapback]56996[/snapback][/right]

index.html is the default page that the webserver delivers to browsers that access your subdirectory. For now it can be very simple and just contain information that it is your home page and perhaps your paladin guide hyperlink.

As to the paladin guide. I would go get this free utility called PDF995 or cutePDF and install it, then print your guide (into .pdf format) to a file. First, it makes the guide content more static, and second it is an easy way to make it available where everyone can view it.

I used to use frontpage, but I got tired of removing all the useless, and senseless things that it put into my html. I'm now a devotee of using style sheets(.css) and leaving the content to be basic .html constructs. (Like this site.)

Be patient. You won't learn this over night (ask ducky). Just start with the basic tags and work your way up.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:As to the paladin guide. I would go get this free utility called PDF995 or cutePDF and install it, then print your guide (into .pdf format) to a file. First, it makes the guide content more static, and second it is an easy way to make it available where everyone can view it.

First off, thanks for all the helpful advise everyone! Kandrathe, how do I save it as a .pdf file from a Microsoft word file? You mention "printing" my guide to a file, but I'm not sure how to do this. I got CutePDF and am reading the HELP file now. Any advise?

EDIT - Okay, I figured out that I need to Open CutePDF Writer Jobs, but when I do this there is nothing in the window to select or enter. I think I'll try tommrow. I need to get up for work in exactly 4 hours and I still need to sleep :P . I hate leaving a project unfinished <_< .
MEAT,Oct 4 2004, 04:17 AM Wrote:First off, thanks for all the helpful advise everyone!&nbsp; Kandrathe, how do I save it as a .pdf file from a Microsoft word file?&nbsp; You mention "printing" my guide to a file, but I'm not sure how to do this.&nbsp; I got CutePDF and am reading the HELP file now.&nbsp; Any advise?
[right][snapback]57003[/snapback][/right]

Hopefully you got CutePDFWriter, and the PS2PDF converter installed.

Then according to the instructions;
Quote:To create PDF files:

To use CutePDF Writer, open the file that you would like to print to PDF. Select the Print option (usually found under File > Print), and select "CutePDF Writer" from the list of available printers. You will be prompted to select the destination directory and filename for your output file.

Please note that some applications, such as NotePad, will automatically print to your default printer when you select the Print option. If you want to create PDF file, you may need to change your printer selection within that application before printing the file. This can typically be done from Page Setup.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

MEAT,Oct 4 2004, 03:37 AM Wrote:Okay, I figured out most of this.&nbsp; I just need to learn more HTML.&nbsp; The only thing I'm confused on now is how to make files downloadable instead of just viewable.&nbsp; You can view my site and paladin guide the way it was meant to be seen here:
If someone could tell me how to make a file downloadable with HTML, I would be extreemly happy&nbsp; :D&nbsp; .
[right][snapback]57000[/snapback][/right]

What do you mean? The files there are downloadable.
MEAT,Oct 4 2004, 02:17 AM Wrote:First off, thanks for all the helpful advise everyone!&nbsp; Kandrathe, how do I save it as a .pdf file from a Microsoft word file?&nbsp; You mention "printing" my guide to a file, but I'm not sure how to do this.&nbsp; I got CutePDF and am reading the HELP file now.&nbsp; Any advise?

EDIT - Okay, I figured out that I need to Open CutePDF Writer Jobs, but when I do this there is nothing in the window to select or enter.&nbsp; I think I'll try tommrow.&nbsp; I need to get up for work in exactly 4 hours and I still need to sleep&nbsp; :P .&nbsp; I hate leaving a project unfinished&nbsp; <_< .
[right][snapback]57003[/snapback][/right]

NOOO!!! I hate PDF files. :D If you do, it would be nice of you to put up a text version. I just don't like the way adobe reader works. IMO, a text version is just better.

Or just plain html. You can even just go to MS word and go to file--->save as html
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
To download stuff, and href opens it up in your browser, put in a zip and link to that.
No, just put the link, and when someone wants to download, they just need to right click, Save Target As....*file name*. That is for Windows, it is probably different for Linux and Mac.
WWBBD?
kandrathe,Oct 4 2004, 02:32 AM Wrote:Hopefully you got CutePDFWriter, and the PS2PDF converter installed.

Then according to the instructions;
[right][snapback]57005[/snapback][/right]

Grrr... Yes, I got those two programs and I did all those things, but it will NOT let me print my file to CutePDF... it's not even listed!!! Everything is installed correctly. When I try printing my document to *.* ALL FILES so I can change it into .pdf, it crashes Word! I don't get this program.
MEAT,Oct 5 2004, 04:27 AM Wrote:Grrr...&nbsp; Yes, I got those two programs and I did all those things, but it will NOT let me print my file to CutePDF... it's not even listed!!!&nbsp; Everything is installed correctly.&nbsp; When I try printing my document to *.* ALL FILES so I can change it into .pdf, it crashes Word!&nbsp; I don't get this program.
[right][snapback]57068[/snapback][/right]

Have you thought about just converting the Word file to a .txt document? Unless you have pictures, it won't affect the formatting much.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
MEAT,Oct 4 2004, 11:27 PM Wrote:Grrr...&nbsp; Yes, I got those two programs and I did all those things, but it will NOT let me print my file to CutePDF... it's not even listed!!!&nbsp; Everything is installed correctly.&nbsp; When I try printing my document to *.* ALL FILES so I can change it into .pdf, it crashes Word!&nbsp; I don't get this program.
[right][snapback]57068[/snapback][/right]

Skip that. Open up your word document. Open up Frontpage. Copy word document. Paste into frontpage. Save document under whatever name you wish or as index.htm or index.html if you're still trying to do that. Upload to your server.
Yrrek,Oct 5 2004, 03:22 AM Wrote:No, just put the link, and when someone wants to download, they just need to right click, Save Target As....*file name*. That is for Windows, it is probably different for Linux and Mac.
[right][snapback]57065[/snapback][/right]

I don't want to have to right click stuff, and Zips are smaller anyway.
unrealshadow13,Oct 5 2004, 05:26 PM Wrote:I don't want to have to right click stuff, and Zips are smaller anyway.
[right][snapback]57110[/snapback][/right]
It would require the extra time to zip the files and upload them to the website. Also this would take more space/clutter. Granted this is a very minimal investment, its an even more minimal investment for some one to merely add one more click.

Not to mention it brings in a middle man, for realitively small word files. I personally don't see the reason to condense a 7k document to 5k, especially not in the age of 200gig hard drives. Also it saves the hassle of having to use a zip program when I want to view a file.

My HTML skills are a few years rusty, but I do beleive it is possible to create a link that opens the 'save' command in broswers. Maybe I'm making that up though.

Cheers,

Munk