We probably need to start deciding on a game.
No one knows when WoW is going live, but its not improbable that it will be in the next 2 months. It is unfortunate that Guild Wars may not even be in open beta when WoW goes live.

In looking at our WoW beta forum here and comparing to other Wow beta forums, as well as outr past forums on Diablo/Diablo2, I am personally not so sure WoW is a good fit.
I am looking forward to WoW and will play it, as I am sure others here will. But Im not really seeing it as a compliment to the Lurker Lounge, as I first expected to.

From my perspective Guild Wars seems like a better fit, but Guild Wars could just be crap - I have no idea yet.
And of course there could be another great game around the corner that we havent even noticed.

Im not making a recomendation here, but we probably need to gives this even more consideration soon.
I think things at the LL will evolve one way or another (or no way) depending on what people actually end up playing. GW and WoW do seem to be the main games on everyone's horizon (given the distant future release of whatever Flagship Studios is working on).

But who knows: GW may end up appealing more to PvP/FPS/RTS players than RPG (or action/RPG) players; and WoW may have a strong leet EQ-MMORPG guild trend, either of which could fit only partially with the LL. And both games will be a moving target for analysis.

IMO, it's premature to make any decisions before seeing where people actually go.
Ghostiger,Sep 30 2004, 02:46 AM Wrote:In looking at our WoW beta forum here and comparing to other Wow beta forums, as well as outr past forums on Diablo/Diablo2, I am personally not so sure WoW is a good fit.
I am looking forward to WoW and will play it, as I am sure others  here will. But Im not really seeing it as a compliment to the Lurker Lounge, as I first expected to.

I am intrigued that you say this. I'd definately like to hear your reasoning behind this. I am not in WoW beta, and only read through the forums, so my knowledge on gameplay and community is very limited. I'd appreciate the perspective immensely :)

How do the other lurkers feel, in specific respect to WoW fitting the lurkerlounge community?

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Sep 30 2004, 06:44 AM Wrote:I am intrigued that you say this.  I'd definately like to hear your reasoning behind this. I am not in WoW beta, and only read through the forums, so my knowledge on gameplay and community is very limited.  I'd appreciate the perspective immensely  :)

How do the other lurkers feel, in specific respect to WoW fitting the lurkerlounge community?

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]56741[/snapback][/right]

I personally didn't like WoW beta. Over my friends house, I played a sandbox version and a crackered version on some server and didn't enjoy the game play (reminded me too much of Everquest - and I REALLY don't like that game!). As I said many times, the main turn off for me is the immortal aspect of your character; if you can't die you can't loose, and if you can't loose then there’s no challenge. Who wants to play a pathetic game like that, where you can't die? Apparently lots of people do, but I can't stand the MMORPG standards of immortality. I just wish there were a "hardcore" feature in all MMORPG's, rather a single server or an option when creating the character like in Diablo.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Oct 3 2004, 04:22 AM Wrote:I just wish there were a "hardcore" feature in all MMORPG's, rather a single server or an option when creating the character like in Diablo.
[right][snapback]56951[/snapback][/right]
Sounds silly (and way to easy), but couldn't you just delete your char if you die?
TPJ • Founder, The Amazon Basin
TPJ,Oct 4 2004, 06:02 AM Wrote:Sounds silly (and way to easy), but couldn't you just delete your char if you die?
[right][snapback]57014[/snapback][/right]
All well and good when concerning you yourself, but when you play with other players who do not follow such philosophy, styles of play and mentality on how to approach a battle become— less compatible.

Now, if perma-death was mandatory, everyone's in the same boat. Otherwise you'll be playing (and competing) with folks who don't appreciate the same point of view as to what exactly is the challenge to be met.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
I saw Guild Wars preorder things at CompUSA the other day, but no WoW. Doesn't that mean it's being released before WoW?
unrealshadow13,Oct 5 2004, 05:15 PM Wrote:I saw Guild Wars preorder things at CompUSA the other day, but no WoW. Doesn't that mean it's being released before WoW?
[right][snapback]57109[/snapback][/right]
Yes and no. Blizzard is notorious for their 'when its done' release dates. This gives retailers minimal information to go on, as far as setting up pre-orders.

It is possible Guild Wars is coming out before hand, seeing that Blizzard still hasn't given any major indication (to my knowledge) that beta will be ending anytime soon. It's also possible CompUSA is merely getting greedy for some preorder cash.

Cheers,

Munk
unrealshadow13,Oct 5 2004, 06:15 PM Wrote:I saw Guild Wars preorder things at CompUSA the other day, but no WoW. Doesn't that mean it's being released before WoW?

Not necessarily. The pre-order boxes come with a poster, a CD containing a bunch of content (including the Beta client), two cards with CD-Keys for the Beta (one for you, one for a friend), and some other useless crap. It claims that it also entitles you to reserve character names (which is why I bought it), but I'm not sure when this will actually happem - there was no mention of such a feature on the website.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Oct 5 2004, 11:49 PM Wrote:there was no mention of such a feature on the website

It's in the updated FAQ.

It will probably go online after Haloween.
unrealshadow13,Oct 5 2004, 02:15 PM Wrote:I saw Guild Wars preorder things at CompUSA the other day, but no WoW. Doesn't that mean it's being released before WoW?
I have seen the pre-order for WoW in stores.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
I've been a lurker off and on (mostly off) since D2, so I can't claim to know too much about the community. Trying to decide which new game would be right for this community then would be difficult. However, I think I DO know a good deal about the upcoming releases and maybe that would shed some light on the debate.

WoW:
------------
Pros:
vast item system
good character customization (visual)
some skill customazation (talents)
enormous amount of PvE content with many instanced areas
good opportunity for PvP should it be desired.

Cons:
Too Easy to level
Minimal skill required to play
As of Beta, not enough configuration options between talents and equipment.

GW:
-----------------
Pros:
Incredible PvP design
vast item system
all characters can be dual classed providing excellent configuration choices.
abilities are things that are found or quested. You can only select eight to be used.

Cons:
Minimal PvE content
Level 1 to max level can be done in less than a week of play.

WoW is going to have it all, but at a price of less depth than other games. GW is concentrating on the PvP end game, which will be done well, but if you like to carebear, probably won't be your game.

HTH
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Rhydderch Hael,Oct 6 2004, 12:15 AM Wrote:I have seen the pre-order for WoW in stores.
[right][snapback]57126[/snapback][/right]

For the record, WoW has been on pre-order since Frozen Throne (or was it WC3: RoC?) came up for pre-order. I know, because I pre-ordered it way back then. That was well over a year ago, back when a release date wasn't even set - just the title. ;)

I think I've lost my pre-order ticket, but no biggie - only 3 bucks, for one, and the store probably still has their copy. Even if not, I can always re-preorder it. :P

I for one will be getting this game. How long it continually lives in my budget remains to be seen (Planetside and Dark Age of Camelot are taking a vacation at the moment - money doesn't allow, nor does my enthusiasm. I'm waiting for both to pick up again before diving back in for more ;)).
Roland *The Gunslinger*
MEAT,Oct 3 2004, 01:22 AM Wrote:I personally didn't like WoW beta.  Over my friends house, I played a sandbox version and a crackered version on some server and didn't enjoy the game play (reminded me too much of Everquest - and I REALLY don't like that game!).  As I said many times, the main turn off for me is the immortal aspect of your character; if you can't die you can't loose, and if you can't loose then there’s no challenge.  Who wants to play a pathetic game like that, where you can't die?  Apparently lots of people do, but I can't stand the MMORPG standards of immortality.  I just wish there were a "hardcore" feature in all MMORPG's, rather a single server or an option when creating the character like in Diablo.
[right][snapback]56951[/snapback][/right]

They WILL NOT offer any sort of mortal/hardcore in GW:

http://vnboards.ign.com/Guild_Wars_General...740/76999384/p1

EDIT - Yes, that's me as MEATsPet. Couldn't get MEAT and I guess I got that name a LONG time ago on the IGN servers because I didn't even remember having it. I had to email myself the password, lol.

EDIT#2 - But they did point out this game which looks like a game I will definitly try, mainly because of it's "death" features. Perhaps other Lurkers might like it?:

http://www.realmsofkrel.com/
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Oct 18 2004, 02:38 AM Wrote:http://www.realmsofkrel.com/
[right][snapback]57674[/snapback][/right]

The game description sounds very cool!
Magicbag,Oct 6 2004, 06:09 PM Wrote:WoW:
Cons:
Too Easy to level
Minimal skill required to play
As of Beta, not enough configuration options between talents and equipment.

[right][snapback]57158[/snapback][/right]

Another con which is pretty huge for me is if I can't choose my server. I want to be able to play with my friends from all over the world!