Hey parents, what show is your kid hooked on?
ShadowHM,Sep 27 2004, 07:20 PM Wrote:The sons spent an utterly amazing number of hours playing that game this summer.  The card piles grew to unmanageable levels, what with all the "I need to make a new deck to try this combination out."
[right][snapback]56576[/snapback][/right]

I used to play M:TG over 10 years ago, just before it got really popular. I had to stop after realizing just how much money I was spending on it. I still have most of my cards packed up somewhere...
DeeBye,Sep 24 2004, 10:02 PM Wrote:I tried to watch Boobah one day, but I could not for the life of me figure it out, nor do I want to.  Boobah is creepy.  WAYYY too creepy.

Boobah is a pre-schoolers' exercise show.

Watch your kids' reaction to them, and see if they can stand still or sit down for long. It's developed by the same people that made/make Teletubbies... and they know what they're doing.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Superlative opinion.

I dare you to state it again when you actually have kids and thus an informed opinion on how it affects them, and not just in the two hours that you kindly sit your ass down beside them on the couch... you hero, you.
Garnered Wisdom --

Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Sep 27 2004, 06:53 PM Wrote:Superlative opinion.

I dare you to state it again when you actually have kids and thus an informed opinion on how it affects them, and not just in the two hours that you kindly sit your ass down beside them on the couch... you hero, you.
[right][snapback]56601[/snapback][/right]

Linky
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Sep 27 2004, 09:30 PM Wrote:Linky
[right][snapback]56603[/snapback][/right]

Point made; advice taken; PM sent.

I've been away awhile; thanks for bringing me up to speed on this, Chaerophon.
Garnered Wisdom --

Nicodemus Phaulkon,Sep 27 2004, 10:48 PM Wrote:Boobah is a pre-schoolers' exercise show. 

Watch your kids' reaction to them, and see if they can stand still or sit down for long.  It's developed by the same people that made/make Teletubbies... and they know what they're doing.
[right][snapback]56600[/snapback][/right]

My son is underwhelmed by Boobah. He doesn't care to watch it. As soon as Boobah comes on, it's time to change the channel or it's time to pester daddy into plopping in another Dora/Thomas/Bob video. Usually, I use this opportunity to take Little DeeBye out for a NIGHT ON THE TOWN! Actually, we just go to the grocery store and buy milk and bread.

The point is, he hates Boobah. He gets more exercise watching OHL hockey and cheering "GOOAAL!".
I know I'm late on most of this discussion, but I have a little bit different viewpoint. My kids are almost 1 and almost 4. I still don't hink shows like sponge bob and fairly odd parents are acceptable. There's way too much ridiculing and bullying in there for my liking and I've watched more episodes than I care to.

Yes, I'm sure they'll be exposed to it in school, but when shows teach kids to behave like that it's hardly surprising.

On the other side of the coin, I find PBS and Disney (even though I don't care much for the company) offer some really good shows. Stanley on Disney is a great show.

IMHO marketing push and childrens shoes that make use of regular abusive language or behavior are a large part of the reason the quality of kids TV is sinking.
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-