Remembrance Day
Here in Canada, we observe Remembrance Day on November 11th each year. It started as a time to remember the cost of the First World War, but has grown to include all the fallen warriors of subsequent conflicts.

I am a sentimental fool, I suppose. But it does seem fitting to set aside one small time each year to remember and recognize those who gave so that I have the freedoms I enjoy. The 'rightness' of the conflict is not the issue. It is the sacrifice.

To share that sentiment, here are two wonderful songs.

First, Eric Bogle's "The Green Fields of France", also known as "No Man's Land". The recording here. The sound is deliberately poor (so as to encourage us all to buy it) but is rather moving nonetheless, as it is sung in two languages. I prefer to hear John McDermott's version, myself, only because of his incredible voice.

Second, Terry Kelly's "Pittance of Time" in the video here is a reminder that even now, they deserve our respect.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Nov 9 2004, 07:03 AM Wrote:[right][snapback]59740[/snapback][/right]

My favorite version of that song is called "Willy McBride" as sung by the Makem and Clancy.

I missed the Aussie Remembrance Day on 25 April this year, a sunrise service, as I was on duty. Will not be missing the services on Thursday, on Armistice Day.

"In Flanders Field the poppies grow . . ."

Thanks for remembering, Shadow.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
A bit different south of the border. In the U.S., Memorial Day in May serves as the day to remember the war dead. November 11th becomes Veterans' Day, the day to observe those who served in war— and lived.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hail ShadowHM,

ShadowHM,Nov 9 2004, 03:03 PM Wrote:Here in Canada, we observe Remembrance Day on November 11th each year.  It started as a time to remember the cost of the First World War, but has grown to include all the fallen warriors of subsequent conflicts.

[right][snapback]59740[/snapback][/right]

On a footnote: Here in Germany, today is also a day of remeberance: November 9th, 15 years to the day that the Berlin Wall fell... or at least started to crumble.

On the other hand, maybe not a bad time at all to remember those who helped to bring this about... not just the politicians, but also (or especially those) who risked their lives and did their duty in the conflict that was the Cold War.

Thanks (what else can I say?)!

Take care,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
ShadowHM,Nov 9 2004, 08:03 AM Wrote:Here in Canada, we observe Remembrance Day on November 11th each year.  It started as a time to remember the cost of the First World War, but has grown to include all the fallen warriors of subsequent conflicts.

I am a sentimental fool, I suppose.  But it does seem fitting to set aside one small time each year to remember and recognize those who gave so that I have the freedoms I enjoy.  The 'rightness' of the conflict is not the issue.  It is the sacrifice.

First, Eric Bogle's "The Green Fields of France", also known as "No Man's Land".  The recording here.  The sound is deliberately poor (so as to encourage us all to buy it) but is rather moving nonetheless, as it is sung in two languages.  I prefer to hear John McDermott's version, myself, only because of his incredible voice.

Second, Terry Kelly's "Pittance of Time" in the video here is a reminder that even now, they deserve our respect.

November 11th, Veteran's Day here in the U.S., is my birthday. Every year, my town holds a parade for Veteran's Day. I always kid around that I get a day off from school (no longer applicable; hasn't been for years) and a parade for my birthday, but I always pay deep homage to that day, what it stands for, and to all the people who have served (and died, although not limited to just them) to keep this country safe.

Combine the fact that I'm a sucker for charity with the fact that most veteran / police charity foundations hit me up this time of year, and I end up giving away just as much for my birthday as I do receive. It's a good feeling though, so I never mind.

To all the veterans, old and young, dead and alive, I salute you once more, another passing year of remembrance.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
ShadowHM,Nov 9 2004, 11:03 PM Wrote:Here in Canada, we observe Remembrance Day on November 11th each year.  It started as a time to remember the cost of the First World War, but has grown to include all the fallen warriors of subsequent conflicts.

I am a sentimental fool, I suppose.  But it does seem fitting to set aside one small time each year to remember and recognize those who gave so that I have the freedoms I enjoy.  The 'rightness' of the conflict is not the issue.  It is the sacrifice.

First, Eric Bogle's "The Green Fields of France", also known as "No Man's Land".  The recording here.  The sound is deliberately poor (so as to encourage us all to buy it) but is rather moving nonetheless, as it is sung in two languages.  I prefer to hear John McDermott's version, myself, only because of his incredible voice.

Here in Australia we also observe Armistice Day on the 11/11 11:00am, in addition to ANZAC day on the 25th of April. Every school I know of observes it with a minute's silence, and a stanza from the poem "For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon:

Quote:They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest we forget.
On the subject of memorial services:

What exactly are they comprised of?

The reason I ask is this:

Here every school has a Remembrance day assembly, with music and/or poetry and a laying of a wreath, followed by two minutes of silence. Each city has a gathering, usually presided over by the mayor, with much the same. It is not an official holiday, in the sense that few get the day off work, but the services are widespread and pervasive.

Just now, I was doing a little internet news surfing, and up popped the ICQ icon of the son of an American friend. He had the day off school and was about to dive into a D2 marathon. There were no services that he knew about. It was just a welcome day off school. :o

I do know that Memorial Day is supposed to fulfill the same notion the Remembrance Day includes here. But, frankly, I have seen it observed mainly as a welcome extra long weekend to begin the summer. :rolleyes:

So.....

How exactly do folks use these days of remembrance? I am not only enquiring about your personal observances, but about what you see others doing.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

'ere to the Armistice— one of the few times in human history where thousands upon thousands of men are perfectly happy to lose their jobs...
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
ShadowHM,Nov 11 2004, 01:06 PM Wrote:How exactly do folks use these days of remembrance?  I am not only enquiring about your personal observances, but about what you see others doing.
[right][snapback]59961[/snapback][/right]

Where I grew up, there is a Memorial Day service held in the township cemetery. This started with a parade down the roads to the cemetery by the high school band, the local Boy Scout troop, veterans' groups, township fire department, etc. Very few people actually witness this parade, as the township cemetery is not in an area of heavily concentrated population. Anyways, the groups parade up to the cemetery and then you have the service. There are some prayers, some singing ("America", "America, the Beautiful"), some dignitary gives a keynote speech, and it ends with Taps and/or a rifle salute.

Memorial Day is not only a time to remember those who died in battle, but also those close to you who have passed away. Many people would visit the graves of relatives before or after the service, often leaving flowers at the graves. At the graves of war veterans people would often plant miniature American flags.

In my high school years, I remember the attendance at these dwindling year by year. I don't know, but perhaps the New York attack has changed that. In any case, it would be fair to say that the vast majority of people don't attend any services like this on Memorial Day. For most, it is just a long weekend and an opportunity for a picnic.

As for Veteran's Day, it doesn't get much attention at all unless you are a veteran or part of a military family. Most people work on Veteran's Day, and go about their daily routine like any other day.