D2 crashing since XP SP2
Oh this sucks. Ever since I installed Service Pack 2 for WIndows XP, Diablo 2 has been suffering from random crashes. I have a single player paladin who required a half dozen games to manage to kill Andy (starting from the Cats WP) because of this.

In D3D mode, the crash happens in D3DIM.DLL, a system dll, but in DirectDraw it happens in D2CMP.dll.

I emailed Blizzard support and got the usual canned reply.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

-- CH
I haven't noticed anything more than the standard amount of random crashing since adding sp2. Maybe something screwed up with your DirectX install? Try downloading the newest version and installing that. Blizz support would only have told you to reinstall the game anyways.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Try disabling the Windows firewall. It's been known to cause problems and you're better with your own firewall anyways.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I have had quite a few problems with SP2 , first time my comp was really screwed after it crashed in the middle of installing it , and the second time the firewall was soo screwed , it kept telling me I was not connected to the net even though I was . I bought a brand new hard drive , installed it again , and even more problems . I removed it and everything is peacefull again :)

Take care
Take care
Yes.. had the same problem with D3D... my problems went away when I switched to D2D though.. *shrug*
MaxPower#1485 60 SC Barb/32 HC Witch Doctor/22 HC Wizard/17 HC Demon Hunter
NotSoDarklord,Sep 28 2004, 03:31 AM Wrote:Yes.. had the same problem with D3D... my problems went away when I switched to D2D though.. *shrug*
Oh yeah, that reminds me. There's a glide wrapper for d2 if you go through the Amazon Basin (sorry, too lazy to look up the topic it was in... was in the "other games" board though, if I remember right, there's a link to it in a topic in the Maggot Lair forum here too, I think). That will let you use the Glide option, powered by OpenGL, so it should solve your DirectX problem. At least for D2...

Edit: Heh, found the link without even really looking when I was going through other topics.
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=48154
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Sep 30 2004, 09:09 PM Wrote:Oh yeah, that reminds me.  There's a glide wrapper for d2 if you go through the Amazon Basin
Thanks, I'll give it a try. (Though at the moment, I'm purging heresy from the galaxy in the WH40K Dawn of War demo...)

What's strange about all this is that I can play on b.net for hours with no problem. (I've had very occasional crashes playing a summoner Necro, but that's been the case for as long as I can remember.) In single player, though, the exceptions/crashes are so frequent even playing a simple zeal Paladin that sometimes the char save file doesn't get a chance to update.

I don't think my hardware is that strange:

ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard (nforce 2 chipset - using the on board audio)

ATI Radeon All in Wonder 9600

-- CH